There are 486 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers 27th most popular team

• Jcool
  • Veteran
In a first-of-its-kind study performed this summer, Nielsen Co., the media-research firm, developed a system for ranking the popularity of NFL teams based on each team's local and national TV rankings, how often they're mentioned on the Internet and how many visitors they attract to their official websites. The report, dubbed the Nielsen Sports Media Exposure Index, is the company's first attempt to classify pro-football teams in this manner.

A Study Ranks All 32 in TV Viewers and Online Cachet

• fryet
  • Veteran
I find this hard to believe. I know we have a series of losing seasons, but the 5 super bowl wins should put us in the top 15 still.
Who cares.. 49ers are #1 on my list.
Those rankings are clearly garbage. No one likes the Lions more than the 49ers.
Originally posted by Youngone:

And the Cardinals over the Niners? Please....
Were easily a top 15 team.

Neilsen does some pretty amazing things, but I'm inclined to agree with you. Between draft related news, fantasy BS, and incidental transients the signal to noise ratio here is a serious problem.

If nothing else, the NFL certainly doesn't seem to agree with these findings. Isn't it the Niners' popularity that has us continuously being shipped off to all corners of the planet for these pathetic international games?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
It could hurt us that this site seems to be more popular then the "official site". I know i hardly go to 49ers.com since i started coming here. Then again i don't know how much it hurts other teams with popular fan sites.
Good point. I wonder how having all the Cowboy's sites locked away from public view affects their ranking?
I think they should clarify. This is "Popular to discuss" meaning both good and bad discussions. Any football educated mind could tell you that these teams are not ranked in popularity (as in liked)....
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Who cares.. 49ers are #1 on my list.

True this seems to be about popularity overall there then the most well liked. Like I'm sure the cowboys have ton of hits from folks who can't stand them, to add on to the hits from there fans. They are polarizing and folks read about them good or bad.
"Mentioned on the internet" was used to gauge popularity? What a joke. That just means the top teams had more news worthy situations last year. 49ers are consistently in the top 5 to sell merchandise, which is much more telling IMO.
Talk about using numbers for numbers sake.

I agree it has nothing to do with popularity only who gets talked about the most. Take the cards for example. Boldin left and just about every article about him this season has had a link back to Arizona.

So like was said all the chatter could be good could be bad. Who knows. Quite frankly I find this list by neilson a waste of time and money.

If they want to show who is more popular then you have to use tv ratings, ticket sales merchandise sales how often is a game blacked out from lack of ticket sales etc.