There are 143 users in the forums

The 8-Man Box

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As a Niner fan in recent years, we've seen 8-man box's (even 9) being used to prevent Gore from running wild on teams. Can teams really afford to do the same thing this year considering guys like VD and Crabs will be streaking down the field. VD is an elite TE and Crabs is a proven threat. Just having Delanie Walker on the field with VD sounds like a nightmare for any secondary.

On the other hand, Jimmy Raye's playbook and Singletary's philosphy of running the ball nearly every dam* play will tempt defenses to stack the box. Thank god they drafted Iupati in that case.

I feel the offense will thrive if they spread around the ball and keep the defense guessing. Calling plays that are consistently dives and draws isn't gonna get the job done. I would hate to see a repeat of the first game last season against the Tards.
For some reason I feel like the play calling will improve this year especially if Alex steps up. We have too many weapons; VD, Crabs, Walker, Morgan, Ginn, to just run 90% of the time and be forced to throw on 3rd and long. I hope but then I think, you cant teach an old dog new tricks, and Raye is an old stubborn dog.

[ Edited by 49ersNoKaOi on Sep 8, 2010 at 21:25:01 ]
is it better than this?

Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
For some reason I feel like the play calling will improve this year especially if Alex steps up. We have too many weapons; VD, Crabs, Walker, Morgan, Ginn, to just run 90% of the time and be forced to throw on 3rd and long. I hope but then I think, you cant teach an old dog new tricks, and Raye is an old stubborn dog.
With a rushing defense like Seattle's, an old dog can look great.
sounds like you've got a sexy, sweaty saturday night in store. have fun!
We've never had the Offensive Line to run Singletary's smashmouth until this season. Iupati has already shown he is capable of having a Pro Bowl year, and Davis is demonstrating good strength and quick feet ala Joe Staley, and should have a solid year if he can avoid mental lapses. This O-line is built to "impose our will" on opposing defenses.

Alex has shown he is capable of throwing the ball around, and he has proven weapons at his disposal, all of which should keep defenses honest.

On a completely different note, I guess my homerism is at a all-time high, because I think we have the makings of a top 10 offense.
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
With a rushing defense like Seattle's, an old dog can look great.

True.
yeah, Gore 2 carries for 59? yds in the preseason...Also Gore holds the top 2 team record for most rushing yards, both against the Seahawks...if they cant stop it...
It is not the offense alone that Singletary has afflicted with stupid s**t plays. That long run by Tolbert was a joke. What kind of defense has only two rushers at the ends and leaves a ten yard gap in the middle? I think there is a terminal stupid on the team and needs flushing down the toilet, whoever it might be. Whoever is making these types of booboos needs a lesson in logic. Like don't play russian roullete with 6 rounds in a revolver.
let them stack the box they have no secondary no way they can contain VD and Crabs if they stack the box

Alex will audible out of a ran to pass if they commit to 8 or 9 in the box.
Originally posted by TheVoiceOfReason:

I agree with this, and I'm hoping the coaches allow Alex to do more audibles. More importantly, I'm hoping Alex will recognize it.
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:

I agree with this, and I'm hoping the coaches allow Alex to do more audibles. More importantly, I'm hoping Alex will recognize it.

Iagree, this will be key for this year.
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:

It's up to Alex to call audibles. I hope the communication issues we saw in preseason are fixed. If these problems continue, Alex will have to prove that he has earned that "C" on his chest and play like he did in the Texans game last season (minus the pic) I'm comfident that he will surprise people this year.
And if they don't stack the box play action will be very effective. I just wouldn't feel comfortable rolling out to A.Davis's side in the first game.
Share 49ersWebzone