LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Coach Sing gets his men, ingenious!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by STNiner:
Taking subliminal shots at a QB that could be a stud in the future, subsequently scaring away potential suitors was pure genius! Now we have a QB ready to play in Smith, and a QB to develop for the future in Davis. I like sing, I like

I'm not buying it. Those kind of mind tricks worked at some time in this league but not anymore. Every team is looking for an edge. Its more likely he was waived due to the learning issues.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If 31 other GMs do not see more potential in Nate Davis than any of their current 3rd string QB, then I do not know how we can get excited that we see something that the others do not. I also do not buy into the theory of some that this was a clever ploy by Singletary. If he really wanted to keep Davis (1) he would have simply kept him. He took a risk in exposing him to other teams signing him, and (2) why did he bother to sign T. Smith? We now have 5 QBs.

We have 4 QBs...Carr will not be here next year...I guarantee it. Troy Smith can ball...it just his height that has everyone backing off. Davis can physically play it just who wants to teach/coach him? Might as well be us since he's been here the past year and a half.
Look let's reason here...

Davis didn't impress in training camp or the preseason in the eyes of those whose opinions matter the most, namely the coaching staff. Whether it's Davis' learning disability or not, Coach Singletary and the entire offensive coaching staff felt that he was not ready. Even if he's supposed to be a project, the Niners mentality this year is not development, they need results now.

Carr is just now learning this offense, but has 5-6 season under his belt, so he knows how to play NFL type ball (albeit not pro bowl caliber, but he was brought in as a back up). Nate Davis still is inexperienced and potential is there, but that means squat when you're trying to win now, as well as Coach Singletary saying that he was supposed to push Carr and wasn't even close.

So the Niners take a risk and release Davis, sign Troy Smith who's a capable vet, who won't need 2-3 years to develop and could possibly keep him next year.

And so 31 other teams passed on Davis and he's back on the practice squad. Doesn't mean he'll stay there for long. Any team could possibly claim him still to put on their active roster or the Niners could simply release him to make room for someone else if they feel there is a need. So yes Davis is still a Niner, but with Davis' inability to learn an offense quickly, in the "Not Now, but Right Now" NFL, Davis' natural ability make him only practice squad QB at best. He might be better in the UFL or the AFL. IMHO
That was a nice first post, Eddie.

Welcome! :)
If this doesn't light a fire under Nate's ass nothing will. I was sure he was going to be picked up off waivers, but I guess Sing knows what he's doing. Nate's potential is boundless and I can't wait to see him progress.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Don't fool yourself, we spent 10 grand on special etch a sketch's to teach Nate the playbook. We cant walk away from that kind of financial commitment just yet.

First of all, lame joke.

Second, you're only fooling yourself if you don't think Singletary's words about Nate Davis aren't responsible for nobody else claiming him.

GREAT response.

I guess we're done here.

So... now it's a conspiracy?

Why else would a coach come out and openly bash any player, only to want them to stick around? I guess I'm the only one besides the OP who's brain processes things other than what is thoroughly explained to them, in great detail.

It's not that hard to figure out.

In the past, we've released pieces of hot garbage like Qwame Brown and Barlow, whom were known quantities to every team in the damn league and they STILL had suitors. What Sing said about this dude had nothing to do with other teams not claiming him and everything with his inability to absorb a NFL playbook. No need to put a 10 on it.

When you disrespect Nate for having a learning disability you're also insulting Frank the Tank. He has the same problem and is full proof that one can succeed in this league with such obstacles. You members aren't Niner fans who stoop to such levels. I don't care how long you've been following football.
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
When you disrespect Nate for having a learning disability you're also insulting Frank the Tank. He has the same problem and is full proof that one can succeed in this league with such obstacles. You members aren't Niner fans who stoop to such levels. I don't care how long you've been following football.

Nate has dyslexia. Frank is just duuuuper super fast.
It's funny that you guys homer so much that you will create a scenario where you believe a head coach would sabotage someone's chance to get another job to put him on the practice squad. That's nuts. He wasn't that strategic and if he is then he is a d**k.
Expanding a bit upon what Youngone said, I'd wager that there's an ambulance-chasing nematode fancying his chances for a juicy ADA lawsuit.

Folks just making up Nate Davis conspiracies now. I'm sure all the scouts just read Singletary's comments and said no need to watch the tape and evaluate the guy. the guy just isn't that good. It's like when charlie Whitehurst got traded and folks started thinking the niners could trade Davis for more than what the Chargers got for Whitehurst.
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Don't fool yourself, we spent 10 grand on special etch a sketch's to teach Nate the playbook. We cant walk away from that kind of financial commitment just yet.

First of all, lame joke.

Second, you're only fooling yourself if you don't think Singletary's words about Nate Davis aren't responsible for nobody else claiming him.

GREAT response.

I guess we're done here.

So... now it's a conspiracy?

Why else would a coach come out and openly bash any player, only to want them to stick around? I guess I'm the only one besides the OP who's brain processes things other than what is thoroughly explained to them, in great detail.

It's not that hard to figure out.

I would say that if I was a GM knowing that the kid admitted he only knew 2/3 of the playbook after 1 1/2 years would be more than enough to keep me from putting him on my active roster... Sings words were meaningless... Davis' on the other hand sunk him... it also didn't help his situation that he laughed off Sing calling him out during the preseason. NO team has the time needed to devote to him as a member of the 53 roster. That is why Nate is on the practice squad.

I do agree that Nate Davis buried himself by not being able to learn. What I'm saying, though, is some teams would likely take a chance on him if Singletary hadn't openly bashed him in the media. Coaches never do this and it had to play a role. I'm not saying Nate Davis isn't responsible for nobody claiming him, just that Singletary's words were obviously strategic and likely had a big role in nobody claiming him.

I agree and I have zero problem with that. I also think waiting to cut him until two days after the final cut-down day played into his return.
I could care less! I'm just glad he's back on the team.

It's all up to Nate now. The writing couldn't be any clearer, no matter if you read it backwards or forwards. Learn the remaining 1/3 of the playbook, get in shape and come into camp next year ready to compete for the #2 QB job.
Good move Sing. Get over it Nate Davis fans, 32 teams said he is not even at 3rd string QB. Hopefully he develops on the practice squad.
Originally posted by STNiner:
Umm isnt that what i said? Sing intentionally said negative things, so Nobody would claim him

It's obviously flying over some heads in here.

I thought our fanbase was supposed to be knowledgeable?

Fan base yes, NinerTalkers NOT
Share 49ersWebzone