There are 177 users in the forums

Trent Dilfer(someone that actually played the game) on Alex Smith.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 9erred:
You will all see what a franchise qb can do, even with mediocre talent when Sam Bradford takes the field. He will make the Rams better, so far Smith has never made the niners better.

Dilfer likes Smith because he sees himself in Smith, mediocre, just keep the game close let the defense win the game for you.

That is funny, the offense looked much better after they s**tcanned Hill last year.

The offense looked better when they opened it up.
You will all see what a franchise qb can do, even with mediocre talent when Sam Bradford takes the field. He will make the Rams better, so far Smith has never made the niners better.

Dilfer likes Smith because he sees himself in Smith, mediocre, just keep the game close let the defense win the game for you.

That is funny, the offense looked much better after they s**tcanned Hill last year.

Hill is a career back up, not a franchise qb. Smith was drafted #1, and we will find out in YEAR six if he is the bust that I have been proclaiming he is. I hope he proves me wrong.

I still say he is average at best, just like Dilfer.

The numbers he put up last year were better than Dilfer. We will see though, Smith has improved every year he has played healthy, no reason to believe that won't continue. It might just be my belief that anyone can get better if they have the work ethic and the desire to do so.

That and it sure helps when your team actually has players. B.Lloyd, Cedric Wilson, Eric Johnson(a injured eric johnson)Kevan Barlow is what Smith had 5 years ago. Its night and day. Thats the main reason he keeps looking better IMO. Cause his supporting cast is getting better.

Just last year we opened the season wil question marks everywhere. Bruce who retired mid year and Morgan who hadnt done anything started the year as our WRs. VD hadnt done anything at that point and was being called a bust. Gore was good but we knew the oline was horrid.

Just look at one year later. All of the questions above have been answered and answered with Alex leading the charge.
Originally posted by Ajanke:
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
Coming from the Mayor of Mediocretown, those statements should mean very little to Smitty. I know Trent was a "mentor" and all, but Alex is already twice the QB that Trent ever was (Super Bowl ring or not). He's just had the sh*t kicked out of em for 5 years. It's a good thing Alex is so well mannered and respectful of the elderly cuz a lot of people would tell Dilfer to pound sand up his ass. Smitty knows the score; he doesn't need washed up lucky turds like Trent Dilfer telling him that the heat is on.

I think everything Dilfer said was spot on. I agree with him and I stand on his side of things.

Same here. Dilfer wasn't the most statistically gloryifying QB but, he did play 13 seasons, and I dont know his record, but I would be willing to bet he won most of the games he played, especially w/ the 97, 98, 99 buccaneers, and then the 2000 ravens. Plus, dude won a superbowl. He may not have been the star, but he did more than Marino.
Dilfer? This is the same guy who propped up Nolan on a pedestal saying he's one of the best coaches, Dilfer, right?

Dilfer lives in the area which means you can take away at least one win right there. Now, the safest bet is what every media person and their momma is predicting, which is 9 wins...wow! How hard can it be to predict one more win than last year? I mean, isn't that the conventional thinking for a team who didn't regress in talent?

Let's all look for the middle, not the lazy media and not the extreme homer, which is 10 wins.

Honestly, 9 wins will be a disappointment because there were much more than 2 winnable games last year that we lost due to turnovers or inept QB play. If we win 9, then we are either turning the ball over or Alex Smith isn't improving much.

If both improve, then I can believe 11 wins. If Alex Smith only slightly improves, then 10 wins. If it's the same Alex as last year, then 9 wins considering turnovers are not as predictable as QB play.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Coming from the Mayor of Mediocretown, those statements should mean very little to Smitty. I know Trent was a "mentor" and all, but Alex is already twice the QB that Trent ever was (Super Bowl ring or not). He's just had the sh*t kicked out of em for 5 years. It's a good thing Alex is so well mannered and respectful of the elderly cuz a lot of people would tell Dilfer to pound sand up his ass. Smitty knows the score; he doesn't need washed up lucky turds like Trent Dilfer telling him that the heat is on.

Exactly how salty are Smith's nuts?

Hahahahahaha good one GOFD.

PS...did you have a glass of beer with those?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Im hoping for a real positive game for Smith, sick and tired of these Smith debates.
Trent Dilfer the QB sucked balls!
Trent Dilfer the NFL analyst is actually quite good.

[ Edited by RYPTOUT on Sep 8, 2010 at 14:13:16 ]
I think he can do it and he will this year.
I would actually support Dilfer's asessment even if he was a little more negative on Smith.

IMO, the 49ers have put good players around him (at skill positions), they've bolstered the O-line, and frankly have one of the better defenses in the league.

If Smith can't take this team to the playoffs and actually win one there, then he is probably finished here.

You've got one of the top TEs in the league, a top 5 or so RB, a change of pace back in Westbrook, and a couple of WRs that should help this team. If you can't make that work, then maybe you shouldn't be here.
Trent Dilfer is a pretty fair announcer and he has insight concerning the 49er organization. I think Alex will bust loose this year. In many ways he reminds me of Phil Simms, both #1 draft picks that through injury and ineffectiveness fell in disfavor with the team and the fans. Simms toughed it out and battled through the adversities and became a championship QB. IMO that scene will play out once again with Alex.

I don't think it matters how Trent Dilfer played but he is dead on about Alex and the talent level. He is pretty damn knowledgeable about the game its self and I bet he can give a fairly accurate evaluation about the talent he see's in individuals.

I would give a lot more credibility to his analysis than to a lot of others.
Originally posted by Shaj:

what's wrong with what he said? He basically said Alex didn't get a fair shot until this year, and if he doesn't perform this year, things will get ugly. What can you possibly find disagreeable with that assessment? Even the mulititude of koolaid drinkers here would be hard pressed to disagree with him, I would think. But maybe they'll surprise me.

Nothing is wrong with what he said. He is exactly right. I am one of those "koolaid drinkers". Dilfer wasn't the best QB of all-time [obvious], but he is intelligent and articulate and what he said is exactly right.
while we can all agree that Dilfer was not a star qb he was on a super bowl team and in the league for quite a while so he knows the game. given that, most can agree that what he is saying about Smith this year is right on but this is not really new to us. we have know this all offseason and especially once we seen that first drive against the vikings. I and others have stated this in several other smith related posts on this forum.
dilfer is spot on

we have (for once in a loooong time) a talented all around offense smith shoulf be able to get it done and if he plays and improves on what he did lkast year (like io think he will) he should get a new contract and be our qb for a while
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:

what's wrong with what he said? He basically said Alex didn't get a fair shot until this year, and if he doesn't perform this year, things will get ugly. What can you possibly find disagreeable with that assessment? Even the mulititude of koolaid drinkers here would be hard pressed to disagree with him, I would think. But maybe they'll surprise me.

Agreed, his assessment is spot on, its do or die. I agree with Trent, this is the year AS turns the corner and will have a productive year.
Share 49ersWebzone