LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

If they have good season would you extend.....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Diyral Briggs
Dominique Zeigler
Ray McDonald
Ahmad Brooks
Alex Boone

those 5, In addition to VD, Manny, Goldson, Alex and Franklin, are guys I feel will break out in 2010

And we would/should cut Parys Haralson, Isaac Sopoaga, Adam Snyder and maybe Moran Norris, while restructuring Nate Clements deal. And if Norris is cut, then sign Caulcrick.

I think we will see Caulcrick, Bruce Davis and Will Tukuafu signed to Active Team. And cut Brock, Evans and someone else to have these 3 on the team, maybe even Snyder goes in a trade.

So whats your guys thoughts, obviously these deals would be small deals for Zeigler, Boone, Briggs and McDonald, and a good size deal for Brooks.
Here's another question....if we make the playoffs, does Baalke deserve to be promoted to a full time GM?????
anyone who has a good/great season and who does not want ridiculous amounts of money should get a chance to at least go into training camp with us next season but all is still determined by an unknown future. thats like saying if we fail whos heads are rollin? all is determined on performance, coaches and players alike. We all know that unless we win that Alex is likely to be gone but aside from that who would you show the door to? at this point if the problem is not Smith then it is likely to be a coaching issue (offensive play calling or similar situation).

so im kinda rambling but back to your question. if they play well...keep em(for right price). if not, get rid of them. that simple. imo.
good season = extension
I've always been in Lawson's camp and even more so now. How much would you pay a player to completly shutdown the whole strong side of the field? All preseason and most of last I didn't see any big runs to his side, the few times they attempted.

Goldson I'm on the fence about (Mays and Smith are interesting). He needs to show serious talent for the doe he is asking for. Remember it took him quite some time to get on the field and he has been injured a couple of times.

Ray Mac has always been a stud when healthy. I think he is better than Soap, but I want to see him 1) stay healthy 2) does he wear down if he plays 3 downs? Even if he beats out Soap, I think we need to keep Soap because he is valuable as a back up.

I like Brooks over Harlason all day, but La Boy is interesting.

Everyone else listed I dont have an opinion about.

Priority of signing - V.Davis, M.Lawson, Goldson, Franklin
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 7, 2010 at 7:45 PM ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Diyral Briggs
Dominique Zeigler
Ray McDonald
Ahmad Brooks
Alex Boone

those 5, In addition to VD, Manny, Goldson, Alex and Franklin, are guys I feel will break out in 2010

And we would/should cut Parys Haralson, Isaac Sopoaga, Adam Snyder and maybe Moran Norris, while restructuring Nate Clements deal. And if Norris is cut, then sign Caulcrick.

I think we will see Caulcrick, Bruce Davis and Will Tukuafu signed to Active Team. And cut Brock, Evans and someone else to have these 3 on the team, maybe even Snyder goes in a trade.

So whats your guys thoughts, obviously these deals would be small deals for Zeigler, Boone, Briggs and McDonald, and a good size deal for Brooks.

I'd have no problem if we make Vernon the highest paid TE in the league and I'd like to keep Ray McDonald around. Brooks is under contract through next year so we can evaluate the fluke factor with him.

With Manny, Alex, Goldson and Franklin it's all about their 2010 production. I can't imagine we'll keep them all.
VD and Goldson are the only priorities right now ino. Will see how the season pans out for the rest.
Its gonna suck when we cant extend Goldson cause hes gonna ask for too much money
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:
Its gonna suck when we cant extend Goldson cause hes gonna ask for too much money

yeah i think the organization can pretty much see the writing on the wall. Thats pretty much why all players we have drafted to play safety the last 4 years all made the team this year and why Mike Lewis took a pay cut last week.
Diyral Briggs
Dominique Zeigler
Ray McDonald
Ahmad Brooks
Alex Boone

So, you're gonna cut Soap AND Haralson huh? Who's gonna start at DE? RayMac has had several seasons to earn the starting job, but still hasn't been able to take over for Soap. He's obviously the better pass rusher, but he's suspect against the run. I wouldn't cut Haralson, I would bench his ass, but not cut him. He could still have some value as a 3rd down pass rusher.
I don't get it. You wanna cut those guys and restructure Nate's deal? That dude is as good as gone after this season. Nate and Manny are in the same boat IMO. If they DO have a great years, the team will not want to shell out the money to keep them. If they have avg years, the team will be looking to upgrade. Double edge sword for them.
And speaking of Manny, here we go again with the annual "Manny will break out this season" talk. The team is keeping 5 OLBs on the roster for a reason. That reason, the team wants better pass rushing from their OLBs. If Manny and Haralson have a repeat of last season, we'll see Brooks and Laboy getting a ton of playing time. Haralson has been ineffective as an every down OLB and Manny just isn't the pass rusher the team thought he could be.
I'd love to see the team sign Franklin to a new deal, but it looks like the team is grooming RJF to be the NT of the future. Goldson could have a great year, but he'll want alot of money. With all the young talented safeties on the team, it looks doubtful he'll be here next season.

The 2011 defense is going to look alot different from the 2010 defense.

• dj43
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I've always been in Lawson's camp and even more so now. How much would you pay a player to completly shutdown the whole strong side of the field? All preseason and most of last I didn't see any big runs to his side, the few times they attempted.

Goldson I'm on the fence about (Mays and Smith are interesting). He needs to show serious talent for the doe he is asking for. Remember it took him quite some time to get on the field and he has been injured a couple of times.

Ray Mac has always been a stud when healthy. I think he is better than Soap, but I want to see him 1) stay healthy 2) does he wear down if he plays 3 downs? Even if he beats out Soap, I think we need to keep Soap because he is valuable as a back up.

Of the five AB first listed they all need to show well.

Haralson has had 1/2 of a season where he earned his money. The rest have been a disappointment. Try to trade him, a 6th is probably the best they could expect, or release.

Sopoaga stays while the team breaks in a rookies. DL would be my preference for the first round next year.

Goldson is the missing piece of the puzzle. He is a small safety who plays like a big safety. I do not see his body holding up very well over the long haul the way he plays. Look at Bob Sanders in Indy. Awesome player but injured all the time because he is not big enough to take the pounding he puts himself through. If he demands a lot of money, let him walk. Hopefully by that time Mays or Smith will be ready to take his place. I do not see him with the 49ers next year.

With Goldson out of the way, they can afford to pay Lawson. He is more valuable than most recognize.

McDonald has a long history of knee problems, not a good thing for a D-lineman in a 3-4 setup. IF he stays healthy, and IF he has a good year, extend him to a modest contract. His health issues are another reason I expect the team to make DL a priority next draft.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:

yeah i think the organization can pretty much see the writing on the wall. Thats pretty much why all players we have drafted to play safety the last 4 years all made the team this year and why Mike Lewis took a pay cut last week.

Man I just hope we get to keep VD, Dashon, and Aubrayo. I love all of them, theyre all great players

And Alex of course if he lives up to expectations, we didnt wait 5 years for him to walk away. No way I see Alex in a different teams uniform next year, hes gonna have a solid year.
Originally posted by dj43:

Haralson has had 1/2 of a season where he earned his money. The rest have been a disappointment. Try to trade him, a 6th is probably the best they could expect, or release.

Sopoaga stays while the team breaks in a rookies. DL would be my preference for the first round next year.

Goldson is the missing piece of the puzzle. He is a small safety who plays like a big safety. I do not see his body holding up very well over the long haul the way he plays. Look at Bob Sanders in Indy. Awesome player but injured all the time because he is not big enough to take the pounding he puts himself through. If he demands a lot of money, let him walk. Hopefully by that time Mays or Smith will be ready to take his place. I do not see him with the 49ers next year.

With Goldson out of the way, they can afford to pay Lawson. He is more valuable than most recognize.

McDonald has a long history of knee problems, not a good thing for a D-lineman in a 3-4 setup. IF he stays healthy, and IF he has a good year, extend him to a modest contract. His health issues are another reason I expect the team to make DL a priority next draft.

Since when is 6'2'' small for a safety???
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by dj43:

Since when is 6'2'' small for a safety???

ya, 6'2 200 is tiny

*goes back to the parking lot*
Diyral Briggs
Dominique Zeigler
Ray McDonald
Ahmad Brooks
Alex Boone

thats an awful lot of players to break out in one season, i could see a lot of them, but the 3 pass rushers, i just dont see enough sacks and big defensive plays going around for a "breakout year" that being said, if they all play well, then we should re-sign
Share 49ersWebzone