There are 274 users in the forums

Niners sign Troy Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by superman49er:
definitely a good signing....wasnt troy smith a potential starter in baltimore before flacco? i think him and boller were fighting for that spot

yea they were, Boller got hurt and Troy got sick and all they had was flacco who then took them to the AFC championship game. so troy never got his chance and why would he when Flacco did what he did. ( i live in md so yea. )
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Axl49:
Nate Davis= Hype and garbage

why do you say that? Smith's first year passer rating was 40.8

Smith has high discipline and low to medium potential
Davis has low discipline and medium to high potential

Discipline can be taught. potential is what it is.

Would love to know how you are calculating potential.

it's an intangible. After nearly 6 years, it's fair to say that it's more likely that Smith is a Rick Mirer/Tim Couch type QB than a Troy Aikman/Steve Young/Jim Plunkett type QB. Davis barely got out of his rookie year, but we do know he has a better arm and more instinct than Smith.
I dunno about this signing. This signing may be pretty Nolan-esqe in the sense he was a Raven. On the surface, Troy smith seems pretty much the same as Michael Robinson with a couple of exceptions. First Smith got to prove himself at QB in the pros, Robinson really didn't. I think their skillset as QB's were pretty much the same. I would have much rather picked up patrick ramsey than Troy Smith. I'm not a Nate Davis fan and I think he wasbound to be cut after Sing had it out for him.

it's an intangible. After nearly 6 years, it's fair to say that it's more likely that Smith is a Rick Mirer/Tim Couch type QB than a Troy Aikman/Steve Young/Jim Plunkett type QB. Davis barely got out of his rookie year, but we do know he has a better arm and more instinct than Smith.

That's all an assumption, we still have no idea what kind of QB smith will become. Only speculation at this point, its your opinion. But we do know Davis had no drive and didn't know the playbook.
Great move i could see Troy Smith being a very good Nfl Qb in the future
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by E-49er:
I dunno about this signing. This signing may be pretty Nolan-esqe in the sense he was a Raven. On the surface, Troy smith seems pretty much the same as Michael Robinson with a couple of exceptions. First Smith got to prove himself at QB in the pros, Robinson really didn't. I think their skillset as QB's were pretty much the same. I would have much rather picked up patrick ramsey than Troy Smith. I'm not a Nate Davis fan and I think he wasbound to be cut after Sing had it out for him.

I was thinking the same thing. More experience and not bad TD to INT ratio either with 35-30. WTF Sing.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
ohio state players >> michigan queerbait

while this is the smartest thing ive EVER seen in ninertalk, i never did like troy smith and i was the first buckeye fan to say "he'll win the heisman but he doesnt deserve it", he wont amount to anything in the NFL either, i have NO clue why we signed him
I like this move. T. Smith > N. Davis
its not really that big of a deal.

He's a young guy with a bit of experience who may or may not have reached his potential.

He replaces a young guy with no experience who may or may not ever reach his potential.

Once Sunday rolls around, we will all put Troy Smith out of our minds until, say, March, when the team is either re-signing Alex or looking for a new QB.

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by matt0305:

That's all an assumption, we still have no idea what kind of QB smith will become. Only speculation at this point, its your opinion. But we do know Davis had no drive and didn't know the playbook.

You mean he was "non-functional"?
LOUD NOISES!!

Whoever our third-string QB is, he isn't likely to see the field much if ever. It's a bummer to see Nate's potential go down the drain, but he is the one who let it happen.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
LOUD NOISES!!

Whoever our third-string QB is, he isn't likely to see the field much if ever. It's a bummer to see Nate's potential go down the drain, but he is the one who let it happen.

has worked with Mike Johnson before
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Arm strength is over-rated. Look at Joe Montana's arm strength. No one is going to bet on Tom Brady's arm strength either. Alex Smith has better arm strength than both of them.

Instincts are important but we have only seen Davis play against 3rd stringers and though he has been able to avoid some sacks due to his instincts and some due to the fact that they were 3rd stringers, he hasn't been that instinctive when it comes to communicating to the OL about the protections.

Now, if Davis isn't working hard when he is a back-up - I'm sorry, it will be almost impossible to get him to work hard ever. Being a QB in this league is not easy - you have to be a film-room rat after rest of the team is gone. Davis has a lot of raw talent, but he just doesn't seem to have the work ethic that requires to be a NFL player. Now, he may have succeeded with an average work ethic at another position, but his potential is ZERO if he is playing QB and doesn't know the protection schemes in 2 seasons.
Share 49ersWebzone