LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

The Media are going to Rip Singletary to shreads if we don't win early on...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
the media would act the same way toward the HC of any team that has high expectations and isn't producing.

so....

/thread

yeah but some coaches can handle it....last year it seemed like Sing was letting them get to him....this year if we don't win early on, god knows what will happen in those press conferences.
Originally posted by whatawegot:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
This really isn't media oriented team anymore. I don' think you get much difference in responses from Singletary whether the media is being friendly or ripping him.

did you watch any of the press conferences last year toward the end of the season? It got very awkward when a reporter basically told Sing "don't pep talk us as if we are your players"...basically cut the BS.

go back to school. THis thread sucks

GETOUTOFMYZ THREADZ!!
this is the NFL, continuity is key, is not about winning early (although it helps) or late, is about not losing to many in a row and having a wining record in December.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
the media would act the same way toward the HC of any team that has high expectations and isn't producing.

so....

/thread

yeah but some coaches can handle it....last year it seemed like Sing was letting them get to him....this year if we don't win early on, god knows what will happen in those press conferences.

eh...either he has a meltdown and they start winning and they praise him as the master motivator he is...or he has a meltdown and they have a losing or mediocre rest of the season and the 49ers lay down the banhammer.

personally i think he's come a long way from being a loose cannon. i predict a lot of

"it's a matter of"

"it's as simple as this/that"

and all the other coach speak that you can think of. those are are two of my favorite sing-isms though.
Here is a scenario, not a prediction:

Seattle looks loose and imaginative, even Boise-like at times. Carroll is running up and down the sidelines slapping butts and having fun. The players are having fun. The fans are having fun.

The Niners look tight, unimaginative and stubborn, with run after run up the middle. Smith is forced into numerous obvious passing situations and there are punts. In time the defense is just too tired to keep it up and the S.Hawks break it open and win.

If you were any reporter at all you would indeed shred the Niner coaching because they would deserve it. And, on the other side, you would have a fun and lively discussion with the Seattle coaches because that would be appropriate.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
This really isn't media oriented team anymore. I don' think you get much difference in responses from Singletary whether the media is being friendly or ripping him.

did you watch any of the press conferences last year toward the end of the season? It got very awkward when a reporter basically told Sing "don't pep talk us as if we are your players"...basically cut the BS.

Situations aren't awkward when you know what to expect from people. I would expect Singletary to not give any real info, and would expect a reporter to get annoyed by that. So I would say it was amusing more than awkward in that situation.

But to my point, all we can expect from Singletary is the canned coach speak answers in the obligatory press conferences & interviews. And I doubt that will be any different whether the media is ripping him or kissing is ass.
So you're saying if we suck Singletary is going to lose job security and the media will ask questions? Ummm isn't this true for most coaches in the nfl? WHOOOP DE f**kUN DOO!

I don't see how Singletary "banked the whole house on Alex" as you say. Who exactly was out there better? Injury prone career west coast offense QB Donovan McNabb? There weren't really any worthy QB's out there last year in the draft.

If Alex Smith doesn't work out. we'll likely have a relatively high draft position and with quality cornerstone players at WR, TE, a vastly improved o-line,ILB, a stud DE, and guys with big potential such as Taylor Mays, Reggie Smith, RJF, Brooks, Bowman and Briggs, we can afford to trade up a bit if need be to grab a QB and try again.

We hand the reigns over to our 1st round QB surrounded with a potentially great offensive line, a #1 WR, a stud TE as a second option, with Gore and Dixon at RB. He lands in the almost anti-Alex Smith situation.

Given what the other options were this season, it seems sensible to give Alex one more chance with a full offseason as the unquestioned starter to see if he can become a winning QB. Don't see how this is Singletary betting the farm on Smith.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
So you're saying if we suck Singletary is going to lose job security and the media will ask questions? Ummm isn't this true for most coaches in the nfl? WHOOOP DE f**kUN DOO!

I don't see how Singletary "banked the whole house on Alex" as you say. Who exactly was out there better? Injury prone career west coast offense QB Donovan McNabb? There weren't really any worthy QB's out there last year in the draft.

If Alex Smith doesn't work out. we'll likely have a relatively high draft position and with quality cornerstone players at WR, TE, a vastly improved o-line,ILB, a stud DE, and guys with big potential such as Taylor Mays, Reggie Smith, RJF, Brooks, Bowman and Briggs, we can afford to trade up a bit if need be to grab a QB and try again.

We hand the reigns over to our 1st round QB surrounded with a potentially great offensive line, a #1 WR, a stud TE as a second option, with Gore and Dixon at RB. He lands in the almost anti-Alex Smith situation.

Given what the other options were this season, it seems sensible to give Alex one more chance with a full offseason as the unquestioned starter to see if he can become a winning QB. Don't see how this is Singletary betting the farm on Smith.

Exactly
Originally posted by WINiner:

Exactly
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by WINiner:

Exactly

uhhhh, I was going to post something and then realized I didn't need to... thanks.

Originally posted by pelos21:
f**k the media!!!

haha sing is freakin awesome
Afrikan, i suppose you read the nearby thread on grades for MS. Something like 64% gave him a B+ or higher and around 50% gave him an A. IF he can shake the dreaded "coaching not to lose" philosophy, he can turn into a pretty darn good coach. But we are talking about a 180 degree turnaround, and so far I hope for the best but fear for the worst on this score. Watch the rats leave the sinking ship if we just roll over and play dead, going 1-3 or 0-4. I really do NOT expect that, but you have to know that if we go into a tailspin, that 64% that gave bigmike the B+ or better will be the first calling for his head. Again, i do NOT expect that, but as Afrikan and others of us have said, bigmike has to play to win, and if we get someone down, then beat the krap out of them. I hope that gene is in bigmike's makeup, because if not, it will be a long season for us, and a short one for him.

A comment on my bud, NinerGM and alex. GM wants to with hold any comments on alex until he has a legitimate OL in front of him, and I have felt the same since alex has been here. It was a total "FU"to burn #1 pick in the draft on a QB with NO OL. I am not talking about a poor OL, I am talking about worse than college OL. Yeah frank ran behind JJGLass and LAllen for a season, but that was it. We had kwame then and he literally was a guarantee whiff on the passrusher. Now with 3 bonafide OLs i feel much better, but until i see C perform and our other OG perform, i will still not be convinced we have an OL that will allow a QB to succeed. AGain, a million thanks to baalke for bringing two first rd Ols to us. LIke GM, i just hope that is enough.
Share 49ersWebzone