LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

Davis to be cut after all

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jalapeno49:
MadPuppy,
Where is your data re: 5th round picks not contributing at all?? Are you also including 6th & 7thround picks and UDFA's in your "research"?

I quickly count Brady, Cassel, Orton, Moore, Anderson, Feeley, Dixon, Clemmens and Romo as contributing, and in a handful of cases starting.

Your post was BS and it needs to be bumped imo because you're using BS to attack a young player.

If you want the list of 5th rounders, Jeff22 copied my list and posted it in the Nate Davis thread. Please reference it to see the actual list compiled.

As for the "research", I don't know what I can tell you. The list is the list, and I took it directly from the past NFL drafts, which anyone can access. If I am incorrect from that list, please post. The only player who has emerged is Dennis Dixon, and the jury is still out on him. More than likely, he will continue to be a backup once Ben returns.

Since Davis was a 5th rounder, I listed 5th rounders. Did I state that if you were a late rounder you had no chance? No. However, many, many, many 49ers fans automatically assumed that since OUR team drafted him, he was destined for greatness. I simply stated the obvious: That is is high unlikely he would amount to anything in this league due to these factors:
1) He was a late rounder
2) He is barely over 6' in a league that has a vast majority of starters who are 6'3" and taller.
3) He has a learning disability.

The above three points are not a cocktail for success if you study any tiny bit of football history. However, the delusional Davis fanatics didn't want to hear anything about it. He was bound for greatness......because he was wearing our jersey. The NFL doesn't work that way.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 8, 2010 at 7:49 AM ]
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I'm just glad the myth of Nate Davis is over.

The bottom line is that Davis is not even close to being ready to play in the NFL, which is something I have stated in Davis' entire pro career, to much chagrin from a gigantic portion of the board who thought he would be starting by this point.

Late 5th round draftees are late 5th round draftees. Very, very few of these guys make it. Last year, I posted the last twenty 5th round QB's, and none had achieved anything in their career. Many board members acted as if he was going to be great just because he was drafted by our team, which is a terrible trap to fall into logically. I always stated that if he was so great, then why did only one team show up at his Pro-Day, and that team was local in the state of Indiana (the Colts). If the Niners did not draft Davis at the end of the 5th round, he would have slipped to at least the 6th round, and who knows how far beyond. So, while people throw the name Tom Brady around, as if 6th rounders often become multiple Super Bowl winning champs, the chance for Davis to amount to anything in this league is pretty microscopic. So, why should anyone be so surprised he didn't cut it for the Niners?

Short, intellectually-challenged, lazy QB's, even with a strong arm, are not going to cut it in the NFL. Why should anyone wring their hands over this cut? Good riddance.

I celebrate the Niners picking up Troy Smith, someone who is bright, hard-working, and a winner. And, I celebrate the end of the Nate Davis drama.

P.S. I enjoyed Ghost's response. The reality is that Davis doesn't "suck" and he is not the "franchise QB" that over 50% of the board thought he would become (don't even get me started on this one). He's just a third stringer who is mediocre at best.

Saying that over 50% of the board thought he would become a franchise QB or would even be starting by this point is a gross exaggeration.

Actually, I believe the number was over 60% in the Nate Davis will be our franchise QB Thread. So, it wasn't an exaggeration. It was hysteria, and naivety.

You're assuming the entire board voted in that thread.

Fair enough. Those who voted in that thread.
MadPuppy,
Where is your data re: 5th round picks not contributing at all?? Are you also including 6th & 7thround picks and UDFA's in your "research"?

I quickly count Brady, Cassel, Orton, Moore, Anderson, Feeley, Dixon, Clemmens and Romo as contributing, and in a handful of cases starting.

Your post was BS and it needs to be bumped imo because you're using BS to attack a young player.

If you want the list of 5th rounders, Jeff22 copied my list and posted it in the Nate Davis thread. Please reference it to see the actual list compiled.

As for the "research", I don't know what I can tell you. The list is the list, and I took it directly from the past NFL drafts, which anyone can access. If I am incorrect from that list, please post. The only player who has emerged is Dennis Dixon, and the jury is still out on him. More than likely, he will continue to be a backup once Ben returns.

Since Davis was a 5th rounder, I listed 5th rounders. Did I state that if you were a late rounder you had no chance? No. However, many, many, many 49ers fans automatically assumed that since OUR team drafted him, he was destined for greatness. I simply stated the obvious: That is is high unlikely he would amount to anything in this league due to these factors:
1) He was a late rounder
2) He is barely over 6' in a league that has a vast majority of starters who are 6'3" and taller.

The above three points are not a cocktail for success if you study any tiny bit of football history. However, the delusional Davis fanatics didn't want to hear anything about it. He was bound for greatness......because he was wearing our jersey. The NFL doesn't work that way.

better get the name right
MadPuppy,

1) He was a late rounder

Although I agree that draft postion does equate to more opportuity in this league, it is certainly not an indication of talent. Terry Bradshaw and others have overcome learning disabilities to excel. I think that you are making an assuption which insults the intellegence of football fans. Yes, many of us were happy that Nate was drafted by the 49ers. But our enthusiasm was based upon him having innate talents not regularly demonstrated by other QBs on the roster. He could have been drafted by some other team and many of us would still conclude the same thing. So to suggst that we are being fanatical is incorrect and insulting. His career may have ended with the 49ers; but this story is far from being over.
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by thojess:

No..I think that you reaad that wrong. He knows 67% of the playbook. "He estimates he knows two-thirds of the offense right now. Singletary cannot trust his playoff-possible team to someone who hasn’t grasped 33 percent of the playbook." Which is BS as Alex did not know all of the playbook when he took over last year. Moreover, I wonder how many different plays do they run on average during a game?

You're still not getting it though. There is much more to it than just knowing the plays (and when he says he knows 2/3 of the playbook he is admitting that he hasn't done his job). He needs to know his protection calls. He needs to understand how the routes change on a given play with certain coverages. He needs to be able to audible. He needs to be able to correct the mistakes players around him are making. Knowing the plays was STEP 1. HE FAILED STEP 1!!!

Now since you brought Alex up, Alex and Nate have been in this system for the same amount of time. Alex worked his ass off and can do all of the things I described above. Nate on the other hand doesn't even know the plays! What did Nate do for the last year and a half? Jerk off and play madden? Clubbin with his homies? Ohhhhh he has a learning disability... So that means he should be working TWICE as hard. Bottom line is, he didn't do his job and he got fired. Maybe the next chance he gets, he'll take seriously.

This is the sorta post that occurs when a coach coaches in the press. Folks like you totally ignored every statement made which suggested that Nate Davis worked hard and was in fact picking up the system. And no; Nate and Alex were not in the system for the same amount of time. Alex got probably over 60% of the snaps while Nate got maybe 5%. And you don't learn plays unless you do them reptitively. This is why the starting QB gets more reps and I guarantee you that if Nate recieved 60% of the snaps and Alex had gotten only 5%; Nate would know that system better than Alex; which is the reason why comparing the two in terms of knowing the system is simply plain stupid.

You can't compare someone's knowledge of the system who has been a pro for six years and recieiving the vast majority of the snaps with another's who has beena pro for one year and rarely get's snaps. To do so is rediculously stupid.

You can compare other qualities however, and when making those comparisons most OBJECTIVE observers conclude that Nate Davis has more skills in certain areas such as arm strength; accuracy, pocket presence and playmaking ability than any other QB on the team. This suggest that letting Nate Davis go was a move that shows no long-term vision and more likely than not, will turn out to be a hugh mistake. Trust me; there is a reason why Sing wants him back and its because Nate has talent and is not as lazy and dumb as you hater's make him out to be.

Sing's dearth of coaching accumen may very well soon get exposed. I understand that he is under certain presures which requires him to win now. I also agree that the Smiths; gives him a better chance to do so as one of them or Carr will play a critical role in helping this team prepare on a weekly basis. But you don't cut your noes inspite of yo face. Which is what was done.

He talked all that shyt about not keeping a player for postion purposes; yet kept a srcub like Byham; who has shown in game time that he is not a great blocker and can not catch. He played the H-back role and got knocked on his butt. He ran a poor route and got tagged and dropped the ball when the ball was properly delivered. He dropped passes which resulted in stopping drives and a turnover. How in the hell is he on the team and Nate and for that matter; others who have proven their worth; are not?

He talks all that crap about the importance of leadership; yet does not take the necessary steps to develop talent. It's easy to point fingers and say what another person is not doing; that's not coaching when every indication suggest that a player improves according to increased repitition. That's how Alex has improved. Why not Nate?

He preaches character; but turns around and undeservingly lambast a player in the press; cut him on a holiday and then says; "I want him back because we can help him." If he had a staff who could help him; why didn't he do it when he had him?

This sorta cowardly hypocrisy holds any team or organization back from reaching its potential and I hope that Nate goes to a team in the same division and blows up! Why? Because the closer you are to the truth; the more apt it will set you free from making the same mistakes twice.

Intelligent, well reasoned. You make some insightful points. Some I agree with. I do agree that Singletary's actions lack consistency of purpose. He is very knee-jerk . . . more instinct driven, than reason driven.

But really, why do you bother trying to make the point? It's lost amidst the self-aggrandizing babble. Espectially on this thread.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I'm just glad the myth of Nate Davis is over.

The bottom line is that Davis is not even close to being ready to play in the NFL, which is something I have stated in Davis' entire pro career, to much chagrin from a gigantic portion of the board who thought he would be starting by this point.

Late 5th round draftees are late 5th round draftees. Very, very few of these guys make it. Last year, I posted the last twenty 5th round QB's, and none had achieved anything in their career. Many board members acted as if he was going to be great just because he was drafted by our team, which is a terrible trap to fall into logically. I always stated that if he was so great, then why did only one team show up at his Pro-Day, and that team was local in the state of Indiana (the Colts). If the Niners did not draft Davis at the end of the 5th round, he would have slipped to at least the 6th round, and who knows how far beyond. So, while people throw the name Tom Brady around, as if 6th rounders often become multiple Super Bowl winning champs, the chance for Davis to amount to anything in this league is pretty microscopic. So, why should anyone be so surprised he didn't cut it for the Niners?

Short, intellectually-challenged, lazy QB's, even with a strong arm, are not going to cut it in the NFL. Why should anyone wring their hands over this cut? Good riddance.

I celebrate the Niners picking up Troy Smith, someone who is bright, hard-working, and a winner. And, I celebrate the end of the Nate Davis drama.

P.S. I enjoyed Ghost's response. The reality is that Davis doesn't "suck" and he is not the "franchise QB" that over 50% of the board thought he would become (don't even get me started on this one). He's just a third stringer who is mediocre at best.

Saying that over 50% of the board thought he would become a franchise QB or would even be starting by this point is a gross exaggeration.

Actually, I believe the number was over 60% in the Nate Davis will be our franchise QB Thread. So, it wasn't an exaggeration. It was hysteria, and naivety.

Which thread was this? This one doesn't show that. Not this one either. Nor this one.

What are you referring to?

This is the sorta post that occurs when a coach coaches in the press. Folks like you totally ignored every statement made which suggested that Nate Davis worked hard and was in fact picking up the system. And no; Nate and Alex were not in the system for the same amount of time. Alex got probably over 60% of the snaps while Nate got maybe 5%. And you don't learn plays unless you do them reptitively. This is why the starting QB gets more reps and I guarantee you that if Nate recieved 60% of the snaps and Alex had gotten only 5%; Nate would know that system better than Alex; which is the reason why comparing the two in terms of knowing the system is simply plain stupid.

Nate had a year and half to learn the system. And he didn't do everything he could. It's that simple. It's easy to make silly guarantees about made up scenarios and every team in the league has to make "plain stupid" comparisons every season because that is how it works.

You can't compare someone's knowledge of the system who has been a pro for six years and recieiving the vast majority of the snaps with another's who has beena pro for one year and rarely get's snaps. To do so is rediculously stupid.

Oh so now it's "ridiculously stupid" to do exactly the thing that every nfl decision maker has to do every season. Not only can you make the comparison, YOU HAVE TO. Alex hasn't received the "Vast Majority" of the snaps since 2006 BTW.

You can compare other qualities however, and when making those comparisons most OBJECTIVE observers conclude that Nate Davis has more skills in certain areas such as arm strength; accuracy, pocket presence and playmaking ability than any other QB on the team. This suggest that letting Nate Davis go was a move that shows no long-term vision and more likely than not, will turn out to be a hugh mistake. Trust me; there is a reason why Sing wants him back and its because Nate has talent and is not as lazy and dumb as you hater's make him out to be.

Nate has a great arm... we get it. His accuracy was about 50% so I'm not sure if I believe that one. Pocket presence involves making the right route adjustment reads and protection calls, and he certainly DID NOT do that better than Alex. Playmaking ability is a made up word anyway, but Davis was given plenty of game time in the preseason and I didn't notice him lightening up the scoreboard.

Sing's dearth of coaching accumen may very well soon get exposed. I understand that he is under certain presures which requires him to win now. I also agree that the Smiths; gives him a better chance to do so as one of them or Carr will play a critical role in helping this team prepare on a weekly basis. But you don't cut your noes inspite of yo face. Which is what was done.

He talked all that shyt about not keeping a player for postion purposes; yet kept a srcub like Byham; who has shown in game time that he is not a great blocker and can not catch. He played the H-back role and got knocked on his butt. He ran a poor route and got tagged and dropped the ball when the ball was properly delivered. He dropped passes which resulted in stopping drives and a turnover. How in the hell is he on the team and Nate and for that matter; others who have proven their worth; are not?

We are a team that runs 2 tight ends sets a lot! We have to keep 3 tight ends. This is pretty basic stuff and I don't know why you're even trying to make this silly argument. If Walker or VD gets nicked up and we only have 2 TEs, there goes 1/3 of the playbook.

He talks all that crap about the importance of leadership; yet does not take the necessary steps to develop talent. It's easy to point fingers and say what another person is not doing; that's not coaching when every indication suggest that a player improves according to increased repitition. That's how Alex has improved. Why not Nate?

He gave Nate a playbook and a year and a half to learn it and he didn't do it. At some point the player has to be held accountable for his lack of preparation. The coaches don't have time to be holding hands all the time with the 3rd string QB! Alex works his ass off all of season and every day. Nate thought he could f**k off during the offseason and come into camp knowing jack s**t.

He preaches character; but turns around and undeservingly lambast a player in the press; cut him on a holiday and then says; "I want him back because we can help him." If he had a staff who could help him; why didn't he do it when he had him?

This sorta cowardly hypocrisy holds any team or organization back from reaching its potential and I hope that Nate goes to a team in the same division and blows up! Why? Because the closer you are to the truth; the more apt it will set you free from making the same mistakes twice.

You say undeservingly and I say deservingly. He didn't hold up his end of the bargain. He didn't give 100% effort into learning his craft. Would we like to have him on the PS? Of course he is talented, but how is the team to get it through his thick head that he has to work harder if we keep cutting him slack and let him continue to use his "learning disability" as a excuse. The fact is he HAS to overcome that problem if he wants to get paid for being a QB. Arm-strength is not enough. LEARN YOUR CRAFT!
Originally posted by thojess:

No..I think that you reaad that wrong. He knows 67% of the playbook. "He estimates he knows two-thirds of the offense right now. Singletary cannot trust his playoff-possible team to someone who hasn’t grasped 33 percent of the playbook." Which is BS as Alex did not know all of the playbook when he took over last year. Moreover, I wonder how many different plays do they run on average during a game?

You're still not getting it though. There is much more to it than just knowing the plays (and when he says he knows 2/3 of the playbook he is admitting that he hasn't done his job). He needs to know his protection calls. He needs to understand how the routes change on a given play with certain coverages. He needs to be able to audible. He needs to be able to correct the mistakes players around him are making. Knowing the plays was STEP 1. HE FAILED STEP 1!!!

Now since you brought Alex up, Alex and Nate have been in this system for the same amount of time. Alex worked his ass off and can do all of the things I described above. Nate on the other hand doesn't even know the plays! What did Nate do for the last year and a half? Jerk off and play madden? Clubbin with his homies? Ohhhhh he has a learning disability... So that means he should be working TWICE as hard. Bottom line is, he didn't do his job and he got fired. Maybe the next chance he gets, he'll take seriously.

Man your butt sure must be sore over this, the guy didn't take care of business and got fired, no one to blame about it but Davis himself. My advice to you is quit while you are ahead, you are making silly arguments and sounding overly emotional about a guy that will likely end up being Jamarcus JR, just another talent with a severe lack of want to.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We should be hearing something on Davis shortly.
Originally posted by mayo63:

if he was gonna be claimed he wouldve been claimed by now i think hell end up on our PS

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
WTF we give this guy 2 years but we give Alex Smith 6 years?!?!

Good call.

I hope he signs somewhere else, and Just rips the league apart!! I want him to be so successful, and I hope he beats us in a superbowl......

wait....I take that last one back....okay, I take it all back...but, I do hope he does well.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

if he was gonna be claimed he wouldve been claimed by now i think hell end up on our PS

Supposably, he got claimed yesterday, but they can't say anything until 1pm PT, today.

Supposably, he got claimed yesterday, but they can't say anything until 1pm PT, today.

2pm pst
well, looks like its 1 pm.
Originally posted by valrod33:

2pm pst

oh lol nvm then should be an intresting hour
Share 49ersWebzone