LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Davis to be cut after all

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Singletary Convinced 49ers Have 3 NFL-Ready QBs

If Davis isn't plucked off the Waver Wire, Coach Sing wants to re-sign him to the practice squad. I for one would love to see that happen. Maybe the kid will get off his hind parts and take being an NFL QB seriously........

I hope someone picks him up. I don't want him on the team anymore.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The worse thing (among many) about Niner Talk is the extremism that takes place. For example, many people on this board liked the potential they saw in Nate Davis and hoped the team would be patient with him as he developed over time (not everyone comes into the NFL as a ready-made starter). Others on this board didn't see the potential, are staunch Smith supporters or just simply didn't care one way or another.

But now that Davis was released, it's turned into a circus.

Extremists on both sides are stating their cases, like only extremists do.

~"Davis sucks! He NEVER would've turned into ANYTHING!"
~"Davis is LAZY and RETARDED...anyone who wants a LAZY and RETARDED QB on their team is pathetic!"
~"Our future is doomed without Davis! He was the next Joe, the next Steve...and now he's gone!"
~"He was the best QB on the team...I hope Seattle picks him up and he beats us for years!"

By most expert accounts/scouts that saw Davis before the 2009 draft, and from what he displayed in last year's pre-season, Davis has a lot of potential. He has a big arm, shows nice poise in the pocket and seems to have a knack for hitting receivers while on the run (all very good qualities for a starting NFL QB, and things you simply can't teach at the NFL level...you either come with those skills or you don't).

AND, he also comes with HUGE concerns (ability to pick up a pro-style offense, true dedication to the QB craft, decision-making ability in the pocket, etc.), which is why he dropped to the 5th round after being considered one of the better QB prospects at the midway point of the 2009 college season.

So (extremists on both sides of the discussion excluded), the truth is that Davis showed flashes of brilliance and plenty of promise on the field, but didn't progress fast/consistently enough (in the classroom and on the field) to warrant further development by the 49ers.

So it's not that "he sucks," or that he's "retarded," or even that "our future is hopeless" now that Davis has been released. As usual, the truth is somewhere in between these extremes, with an obvious edge towards the opinion of "He's got talent, but RIGHT NOW, he's just not good enough to keep around on this 53-man roster."

As a fan of Davis, I can live with that last statement.

Nice post GoFD74, as usual.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The worse thing (among many) about Niner Talk is the extremism that takes place. For example, many people on this board liked the potential they saw in Nate Davis and hoped the team would be patient with him as he developed over time (not everyone comes into the NFL as a ready-made starter). Others on this board didn't see the potential, are staunch Smith supporters or just simply didn't care one way or another.

~"Davis is LAZY and RETARDED...anyone who wants a LAZY and RETARDED QB on their team is pathetic!"
~"Our future is doomed without Davis! He was the next Joe, the next Steve...and now he's gone!"
~"He was the best QB on the team...I hope Seattle picks him up and he beats us for years!"

By most expert accounts/scouts that saw Davis before the 2009 draft, and from what he displayed in last year's pre-season, Davis has a lot of potential. He has a big arm, shows nice poise in the pocket and seems to have a knack for hitting receivers while on the run (all very good qualities for a starting NFL QB, and things you simply can't teach at the NFL level...you either come with those skills or you don't).

AND, he also comes with HUGE concerns (ability to pick up a pro-style offense, true dedication to the QB craft, decision-making ability in the pocket, etc.), which is why he dropped to the 5th round after being considered one of the better QB prospects at the midway point of the 2009 college season.

So (extremists on both sides of the discussion excluded), the truth is that Davis showed flashes of brilliance and plenty of promise on the field, but didn't progress fast/consistently enough (in the classroom and on the field) to warrant further development by the 49ers.

So it's not that "he sucks," or that he's "retarded," or even that "our future is hopeless" now that Davis has been released. As usual, the truth is somewhere in between these extremes, with an obvious edge towards the opinion of "He's got talent, but RIGHT NOW, he's just not good enough to keep around on this 53-man roster."

As a fan of any 49er, I approve of this. I just have an issue with people slamming Smith when they try to bandwagon Davis. Personally, I hope Davis makes our PS and then develops into a great player that will eventually replace Alex Smith...who I hope starts to demonstrate why Nolan, Scotty and Singletary have had so much faith in him.
Originally posted by mayo63:

If Davis isn't plucked off the Waver Wire, Coach Sing wants to re-sign him to the practice squad. I for one would love to see that happen. Maybe the kid will get off his hind parts and take being an NFL QB seriously........

Why don't you want him on the team? Just curious..........
  • dj43
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

As a fan of any 49er, I approve of this. I just have an issue with people slamming Smith when they try to bandwagon Davis. Personally, I hope Davis makes our PS and then develops into a great player that will eventually replace Alex Smith...who I hope starts to demonstrate why Nolan, Scotty and Singletary have had so much faith in him.
Personally, I believe that anyone who has been around the 'zone for any length of time will attest that most of the Davis hope has been fueled by either thinly veiled Smith hate or fear that Smith might not be successful enough for the team to have a winning record. I truly do not see how any reasonable football observer could have watched Davis in the PS this year and concluded he would be of any benefit other than in the most dire emergency, and that would only be to catch the snap by the center to keep the ball from hitting the ground. I can't imagine what it would be like for him to go up against a defense that jumps around like Philly or something similar.
Why would we cut Vernon?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo63:

Why don't you want him on the team? Just curious..........

Just got a bad feeling about him.
I'm just glad the myth of Nate Davis is over.

The bottom line is that Davis is not even close to being ready to play in the NFL, which is something I have stated in Davis' entire pro career, to much chagrin from a gigantic portion of the board who thought he would be starting by this point.

Late 5th round draftees are late 5th round draftees. Very, very few of these guys make it. Last year, I posted the last twenty 5th round QB's, and none had achieved anything in their career. Many board members acted as if he was going to be great just because he was drafted by our team, which is a terrible trap to fall into logically. I always stated that if he was so great, then why did only one team show up at his Pro-Day, and that team was local in the state of Indiana (the Colts). If the Niners did not draft Davis at the end of the 5th round, he would have slipped to at least the 6th round, and who knows how far beyond. So, while people throw the name Tom Brady around, as if 6th rounders often become multiple Super Bowl winning champs, the chance for Davis to amount to anything in this league is pretty microscopic. So, why should anyone be so surprised he didn't cut it for the Niners?

Short, intellectually-challenged, lazy QB's, even with a strong arm, are not going to cut it in the NFL. Why should anyone wring their hands over this cut? Good riddance.

I celebrate the Niners picking up Troy Smith, someone who is bright, hard-working, and a winner. And, I celebrate the end of the Nate Davis drama.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

The bottom line is that Davis is not even close to being ready to play in the NFL, which is something I have stated in Davis' entire pro career, to much chagrin from a gigantic portion of the board who thought he would be starting by this point.

Late 5th round draftees are late 5th round draftees. Very, very few of these guys make it. Last year, I posted the last twenty 5th round QB's, and none had achieved anything in their career. Many board members acted as if he was going to be great just because he was drafted by our team, which is a terrible trap to fall into logically. I always stated that if he was so great, then why did only one team show up at his Pro-Day, and that team was local in the state of Indiana (the Colts). If the Niners did not draft Davis at the end of the 5th round, he would have slipped to at least the 6th round, and who knows how far beyond. So, while people throw the name Tom Brady around, as if 6th rounders often become multiple Super Bowl winning champs, the chance for Davis to amount to anything in this league is pretty microscopic. So, why should anyone be so surprised he didn't cut it for the Niners?

Short, intellectually-challenged, lazy QB's, even with a strong arm, are not going to cut it in the NFL. Why should anyone wring their hands over this cut? Good riddance.

I celebrate the Niners picking up Troy Smith, someone who is bright, hard-working, and a winner. And, I celebrate the end of the Nate Davis drama.

P.S. I enjoyed Ghost's response. The reality is that Davis doesn't "suck" and he is not the "franchise QB" that over 50% of the board thought he would become (don't even get me started on this one). He's just a third stringer who is mediocre at best.

P.S. I enjoyed Ghost's response. The reality is that Davis doesn't "suck" and he is not the "franchise QB" that over 50% of the board thought he would become (don't even get me started on this one). He's just a third stringer who is mediocre at best.

Agreed, same here. Although I am disappointed with the release, it will be a complete non-issue if he is placed on the practice squad. I never expected Nate to be ready to legitimately compete for a starting position until year three at the earliest, and stated this many times. We can still develop him at the same pace on the PS, while adding someone else with more experience and who is more NFL ready at this point.

We had to know the first part of the process would be grooming him to be ready enough just to be the backup. He's got the raw ability you'd want from a #2, but not the cerebral ability and knowledge of the games intricacies to be able to step into that role right now. That being said, I still really like Davis' future prospects if he is allotted the time to develop on the team's practice squad.

BUT, BUT.......... HE WAS HELLA SICK IN MADDEN!

• dj43
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Agreed, same here. Although I am disappointed with the release, it will be a complete non-issue if he is placed on the practice squad. I never expected Nate to be ready to legitimately compete for a starting position until year three at the earliest, and stated this many times. We can still develop him at the same pace on the PS, while adding someone else with more experience and who is more NFL ready at this point.

We had to know the first part of the process would be grooming him to be ready enough just to be the backup. He's got the raw ability you'd want from a #2, but not the cerebral ability and knowledge of the games intricacies to be able to step into that role right now. That being said, I still really like Davis' future prospects if he is allotted the time to develop on the team's practice squad.
The thought just occurred to me that the 49ers had two QBs on their roster, neither of which could function until they had thorough knowledge of the offense and playbook...but for very different reasons.

Personally I will not be completely surprised if he clears waivers and the 49ers have a chance to resign him. I would bet the 49ers made some phone calls to see if their was any interest in a trade, and found none. Hence, they felt they could sneak him through, and if they didn't, there was no great loss.

Best case scenario is that all of this has been a wakeup call for the kid and he will begin to start a serious learning process.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Apparently, Davis got claimed already.

Quote:
Mike Singletary said on KNBR Tuesday morning that he hopes to shuttle quarterback Nate Davis through waivers and then plant him on the practice squad. Don't expect that to happen. According to a tweet by Fox Sports columnist Jason Whitlock, Davis has already been claimed by several teams. Whitlock may be wrong, but he's in a position to know. He's close to Davis and to the Ball State football program where Whitlock played ball. Davis also played at Ball State.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=71812#ixzz0ytOKs3C1

Didnt u say the same thing about Ahmed Brooks
Share 49ersWebzone