LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 381 users in the forums

John Clayton's take on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by excelsior:
Many of Smith's inaccurate throws were made while he was about to be clobbered. Pressure will throw all QBs off. Remember how the great Kurt Warner struggled last year when our defense was pressuring him? Come on guys, you have to look at the entire picture to understand why things happen.

Then it doesn't fit their agenda that Smith is all that is, was, and ever will be wrong with the niners.
Originally posted by crzy:
Anyone with eyes can see that Alex Smith is a very inaccurate QB.

I think "very" is a little harsh.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
It will be funny when he makes the pro bowl. of course though, he won't get any credit, crabtree, gore and davis will

With Drew Brees, Brett Favre, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Donavon McNabb and Tony Romo in the NFC - all fan and coach favorites - it's doubtful Alex Smith will make the Pro Bowl unless he puts up ridiculous numbers or a lot of those guys start stinking it up. Very unlikely.

you left out aaron rodgers lol though i see your point

maybe "pro bowl caliber" is a better way of putting it

Maybe that oversight is not oversight at all. If Rodgers plays in the SB like some people expect the Packers to represent the NFC, he will not play in the Pro Bowl.

Actually come to think of it, I'd rather have Smith playing the SB instead of the PB.

hmm good point..

the best 3 qb's in the NFC i think are

Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo

If alex puts up better than average numbers i don't see why he can't make it.
Funny thing is if Clayton had said Alex Smith is due for a breakout season and will make the pro-bowl, the Smith nut suckers would have been praising him as the greatest reporter ever. Outside of this forum not that many people are delusional to believe that Alex Smith will be a franchise quarterback.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Funny thing is if Clayton had said Alex Smith is due for a breakout season and will make the pro-bowl, the Smith nut suckers would have been praising him as the greatest reporter ever. Outside of this forum not that many people are delusional to believe that Alex Smith will be a franchise quarterback.
Originally posted by Shaj:

its the fact he has matt schaub as 15 matt ryan so high when alex clarly outplayed him last year the fact that he said our WR makes a lot of catches and are "Excellent WR core"
stuff like that

I believe.
every week this conversation comes back. lol. he IS our qb this year like it or not. so just sit back, eat some popcorn and watch the games. we will know who smith is in a few weeks.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by brucesf49:
every week this conversation comes back. lol. he IS our qb this year like it or not. so just sit back, eat some popcorn and watch the games. we will know who smith is in a few weeks.

we have no business asking this question in year 6 of Alex Smith's tenure here. That is the problem. That's why I'm pissed. I miss the Eddie D days of "perform now or get the hell out of this franchise"
Originally posted by crzy:
Anyone with eyes can see that Alex Smith is a very inaccurate QB.

anyone with a brain can see that you are completely biased.

some 9er fans are delusional when it comes to Alex Smith...

ask any NFL fan outside of 9er fans who would you rather have between

Matt Shaub or Alex

Matt Ryan or Alex

and I'm sure 100% of them would not choose Alex in either situation.

heck even the fans on the Texans who might be Schaub haters would probably rather stick with Schaub than take Alex.....same with Ryan haters in Atlanta.

its like if Alex haters here had to choose between Alex or Jamarcus Russell....they would choose Alex.

the difference between Alex and those 2 QBs is they have played good/great against good/great teams.......the only time Alex played well against a good team last year was the Jaguars game....besides that, most of his stats were against soft coverages because we were down a couple of TDs.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 6, 2010 at 10:03 PM ]

and of course the smith haters would be completely unbiased and show some rational thinking by agreeing with clayton.

not

and of course the smith haters would be completely unbiased and show some rational thinking by agreeing with clayton.

not

And Smith nut huggers base their optimism on proven evidence on the field displayed by their man crush. Like all the 300 yard games. And 30 TD seasons. And pro-bowl appearances. And come from behind victories. Oh wait.

not

And Smith nut huggers base their optimism on proven evidence on the field displayed by their man crush. Like all the 300 yard games. And 30 TD seasons. And pro-bowl appearances. And come from behind victories. Oh wait.

just because i "support" smith doesn't mean im delusional and think he's been peyton manning the past 5 years.

im optimistic about his play this year. if he blows his chance the niners will move on next year. get over it.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

not

oh wait....
Share 49ersWebzone