LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 127 users in the forums

If we don't make the playoffs this year what needs to change next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If we don't make the playoffs this year what needs to change next year?

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
IF this happens, which i dont think it will, we will see whos fault it was, then make decisions.

Jimmy Raye and his ability to come up with ludicrous play calls that's what.

you guys keep forgetting that this is Singletary's team...you guys saw last year what happened when we opened up the offense for Shaun or Alex.

don't get me wrong the first person I blame is Raye when I see us play conservative, but then I remember it is Sing that controls him...

for now I just put "depart with Alex" only because I think that Raye & Sing don't trust him all the way...or at least it felt like that last year....so I wonder how this offense would be with a QB that can pass consistently and has the coaches trusts.

As much as I call Sing a hypocrite, I still like how the rest of the players play of him and play disciplined........as far as Raye, as much as I want us to go back to the WCO and I think we have the PERFECT players on offense for it.....I just don't want to have different offensive playbook again, especially if they give Nate a chance....but if we do bring in someone else, a proven Vet QB then I don't care if we get rid of Raye...

so for now, if it is obvious we don't make the playoffs because of Alex...then yet depart with him first......but if he plays well and it is our defense that just collapses for some reason, then yeah keep him around.

When we opened up the offense for Alex especially, he lit other defenses up it seemed. Smith to Crabtree, Smith to VD. He looked confident, and looked like a brand new QB. The hope is this year that he can hopefully build on the best performance he had last year of his career. I have no problem with running the ball, but we better freaking mix it up and jump into the spread whenever we need to.

In my opinion, something we disagree with, Singletary does trust Alex. If he didn't trust him, he wouldn't have sat him out in the last preseason game. They wouldn't have signed him to another year. That's trust in him right there. I believe he fully has the coaches trust. That's why they drafted 2 O-Lineman to protect him. They gave him a deep threat, Ted Ginn.

So all in all I think they do trust him. They understand the time is now, and I think they think Alex is finally ready to have a break out year. Or at least a close enough one to get the team over .500 and into the playoffs.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
* we will make the playoffs
* we'll be out in the first round
* Smith will probably have a mid 80's season passer rating, comprised largely of high ratings against bad teams (and we have the 28th easiest schedule in the league) and low ratings against good teams.
* fans will give Smith lots of excuses for his bad performances (receiver drops, rookie olinemen, sullivan sucks as WR coach, Jimmy Raye sucks as OC, etc)
* Smith will probably get an extension that keeps us going with him for a while
* we'll continue to debate whether or not he is a good QB in niner talk
Originally posted by Shaj:
* Smith will probably have a mid 80's season passer rating, comprised largely of high ratings against bad teams (and we have the 28th easiest schedule in the league) and low ratings against good teams.
* fans will give Smith lots of excuses for his bad performances (receiver drops, rookie olinemen, sullivan sucks as WR coach, Jimmy Raye sucks as OC, etc)

So true, especially the last one... Jeez, I sure hope Smith suprises us!

- Yes, we will make the playoffs
- No one knows who we will be playing so no one can say if we are likely to win or lose that first playoff game.
- I have no problem with Alex staying on for another year and competing for the starting job because right now we have no one to replace him.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iamtheman698:
If we don't make the playoffs this year what needs to change for next year?

At this point, your question is impossible to answer. It all depends on how the season unfolds. Your list largely focuses on the QB, the HC, the OC and the offense but what if the offense puts up 400 points but the defense, which should be the strength of the team, regresses gives up 450? What if the Smith goes down in the first quarter of Game 1 with a Tom Brady type knee injury and the offense struggles under Carr and/or Troy Smith?

This is fine to ask if we are sitting in Week 13 and the season has unraveled like it did in 2007. At least then you have some substantive data for the season to look at and point to.

don't worry if alex can't do it, we'll bring in nate davis oh wait
Share 49ersWebzone