There are 275 users in the forums

If we don't make the playoffs this year what needs to change next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If we don't make the playoffs this year what needs to change next year?

Originally posted by Snider8706:
alex and jimmy raye

Yep.

I'm pulling for Alex Smith. I don't expect much from Raye, but he did show the willingness to change up the system last year when things weren't working and tried to play to Alex's strengths, which is a good thing. If he becomes less predictable, he could be OK. At least our guys are prepared to play, unlike when Hostler was our excuse for an OC.
Maybe we should answer this question when we're mathmatically eliminated from playoff contention. What if we barely make the playoffs with defense and a power running game and Alex has a crappy year? Do we still get rid of him?
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Maybe we should answer this question when we're mathmatically eliminated from playoff contention. What if we barely make the playoffs with defense and a power running game and Alex has a crappy year? Do we still get rid of him?

I think we should, in that case, but, we won't.

We probably will bring in another QB, though.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol if we dont make the playoffs this year it wont be Alex Smith's fault.

funny how everyone says he sucks, but in turn is putting the entire success of our season on his shoulders. Alex Smith just needs to manage the position and NOT be a liability in order for us to win the division.

if we dont take this division, we have alot bigger problems than who our QB is. we have a cupcake schedule opponent wise, a top flight D, 3 elite talents at offensive skill positions, etc. the D will be the bigger goat this year if we dont take the weak NFC West.

look at the competition...Cards cut their projected starter for Derek Anderson, and the coach said "our 3rd stringer in camp looks like our best QB". the Seahawks have almost NO blue chip players, just cut their best WR, and their OL coach said "peace out!" right before the season started.

the way its looking right now, the NFC West will be a 3 team race....for LAST PLACE. if we dont run away and hide with this division more guys than just Alex Smith will have some explaining to do.

Never diss another team...Nobody expected Warner to turn into a somebody. The seachickens beat us once last year. I just hope their aqquisition of former niner players weighs them down. If the lambs bite us in the ass it won't be funny.

If niners D can keep opposition to 10 or 14 points and we still lose the game...it can indeed be Alex and Rayes fault. No more excuses. All the commentators agree the pieces are in place for the niners and it rests with Smith. Not to do it all, but pull his fair weight. Like I said, if he can get 28/10 TD/Int ratio then all will be well. Maybe even as high as 14 int is passable.

we averaged 20 points per game in the games Smith played last year. we arent going to regress from that. were not going to lose many games when the D holds teams to 10-14 pts.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
IF this happens, which i dont think it will, we will see whos fault it was, then make decisions.

Jimmy Raye and his ability to come up with ludicrous play calls that's what.

you guys keep forgetting that this is Singletary's team...you guys saw last year what happened when we opened up the offense for Shaun or Alex.

don't get me wrong the first person I blame is Raye when I see us play conservative, but then I remember it is Sing that controls him...

for now I just put "depart with Alex" only because I think that Raye & Sing don't trust him all the way...or at least it felt like that last year....so I wonder how this offense would be with a QB that can pass consistently and has the coaches trusts.

As much as I call Sing a hypocrite, I still like how the rest of the players play of him and play disciplined........as far as Raye, as much as I want us to go back to the WCO and I think we have the PERFECT players on offense for it.....I just don't want to have different offensive playbook again, especially if they give Nate a chance....but if we do bring in someone else, a proven Vet QB then I don't care if we get rid of Raye...

so for now, if it is obvious we don't make the playoffs because of Alex...then yet depart with him first......but if he plays well and it is our defense that just collapses for some reason, then yeah keep him around.

we need to see how the season shakes out before we determine who needs to get the axe. i think alex is just fine, the conservative boring predictable playcalling was the problem last year but hopefully they changed some stuff. we'll see.
The season starts in a week, and your already talking about next years offseason?
i propose we lock this thread until/if we become mathematically ineligible
All depends why we didnt make the playoffs. Cant blame it on anyone until games are played
Sing Alex and Raye
NT will asplode

• Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersnation:
All depends why we didnt make the playoffs. Cant blame it on anyone until games are played

Originally posted by iamtheman698:
If we don't make the playoffs this year what needs to change for next year?

Whatever didn't work during the season?
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
If we miss the playoffs again this year...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

VERY PROPER HAHAHAHAHAHA

FROM LIMA - PERU
Originally posted by bret:
Deciding this before the season even stars is lunacy!
Depends on HOW we miss the playoffs.

If our passing game stalls, is it on Alex Smith, the o-line, or the WRs? If our run game fails, did Frank Gore lose a step, was it the o-line, the playcalling? If we get torched on defense every game, is our secondary really that weak, do we have no pass rush, or is Manusky leaving guys out to dry? If our run D sucks, is it the D-line, are the linebackers not tackling well, scheme?

So many different things that can get changed.
Share 49ersWebzone