LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 328 users in the forums

Is this a must win game?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • bret
  • Veteran
Seattle is a tough place to play, but losing there last year cost us the playoffs, so revenge should be a factor. Plus Seattle is going to be AWFUL this year. If we lose there we could be looking at 1-4 after five games. A win sets a tone and with the momentum this team could surprise and open 4-1!
1st game of the year? if we lose this, we have 15 more games to make up for it. The Saints game isn't an automatic loss. Ever heard of a Super Bowl hangover? Plus, they lost some key guys on that team. If we can get to Brees, we can beat them. Esp at home.
its the first game of the season, relax.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I really really think we HAVE to win this coming Sunday. But part of me is afraid that this will not be an easy task. I believe we have more talent but Seatle will not be pushovers this season. They have a decent defense and a vetran QB who can pick apart a defense if given time. Playing up in Seattle is no cake walk either. I just believe if we don't get this win we can be looking at starting the season 0-2.. (saints will be super tough to pull out) If we start 0-2, going to play at Arrowhead will be extremely tough!! I'm thinking we need this victory bad for the well being of our season..

Decent defense? Their D is a bottom 5 defense, they may have the worst D in the league. But, I get the gist of your post.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
its the first game of the season, relax.

I think its official...... the term "must win" is defiantly over used.

its a tone setting game, but "must wins" have playoff implications and in week 1 there are none.
Hell yes this is a must win & they need to win by 3 points or more, I have $500 on this game!
YES. With all the hype and posturing and 'the 49ers are going to win the West' talk, absolutely. A loss would be devastating to the morale and psyche of the organization.

Pray that Matt B. is WRONG and we beat the Seahawks like a red-headed stepchild.
Yes. Yes. Yes!
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
1st game can never be a must win. however, i'm not worried about this game. seattle cant beat us. only we can beat ourselves. after last year's game and the desire to show they're the king of this division, im expecting an easy game. final score will be 24-10 with seattle getting a late td.
A week one game is NEVER...EVER...EVER a MUST win game...EVER

Mathematically obviously no. But for everything else? Absolutely. This team OWES us fans a good win. We are tired of wishing, hoping, and dreaming. It's time to show us and get it done. I really hope Alex has a good game as well. I'm not saying we need to just blow them out (although that would be nice) but i do want a convincing win that shows us that this team has definitely arrived.

2010 or bust.
It's a division game against a team that is percieved to be inferior. Also a win will remove the pressure of a potential 0-2 start and allow the team to let it all hang out against the Saints.

It's certainly not a must win, but it's a HUUUUGE game as far as setting the tone for the season.
Our defense is to good for SEA. And our offense, IMO, is better than SEA D. I think we should win by 2-3 scores.. 34-17

Our schedule is pretty easy when u think of it.. We are better across the board vs our division, Id say 5-1.. and then if we finish 6-4 out side of the division that will leave us at 11-5 which is VERRYY doable. Also I wouldnt mark a L v.s teams like NO, PHI, GB, ATL, Id mark those as toss ups.. basically our defense has to play solid and our offense has to perform well and we can win those games.. im excited
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by susweel:
Yes I do believe that the first game is a must win because the first part of the schedule is strong. The next game is against NO and I'm pretty sure that we will lose that game, an 0-2 start would seriously hurt our playoff chances big time. Also we need to avenge last seasons coke job in Seattle.

We had a coke job in Seattle!! Kidding That lost up in Seattle last year pretty much killed our playoff chances...

The loss to philly pretty much killed our playoff chances.
Based on what i've seen this yr, something not present for the last 8 yrs, the 49ers have assembled a great crew of guys. What am i concerned about? Not that the players lose, but that our coaching staff goes all wobbly 1st crack out of the box, and we see vanilla O, vanilla D. If bigmike, manusky, baalke, solari want to see what or how to call a game, both O and D, just re- look these past 4 preseason games. What they will see is

"if you can't cover, blitz",

"when in doubt, go for it"

and generally, "play not to lose", and you will,

plus, it is not a crime to be aggressive. Sometimes you get burned, but oftimes you win big.

So is this a must game for players? Nah, we all expect them to play as we have seen. Is this a must win game for coaching staff? YUP, because if they boot this one by being as conservative as last 5 yrs, a really, really good team is going to lose. And i would hate to see us lose because we got outcoached by a rah rah rook from USC.

Note to bigmike, jr, solari, manusky: suck up your guts bubba. You can win. You will win...but not by playing "not to lose".
Share 49ersWebzone