what subtractions would you make?

No more runs up the middle

All plays that include Moran Norris on the field are eliminated

that f**ker needs to be off the team already
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersush:
plain and simple.......the WCO

The WCO is not some magic bullet that you can just plug in, and BAM, the offense will start producing TDs.

If anything, part of Smith's problem has been that he's been playing a WCO style too much. He's been checking down to "safe" passes too often where his receivers have to make extra yards after the catch and simply cannot.

Smith needs to start looking downfield and taking mid-range to deep shots so that the pressure is on the defense to respect that part of the field.
more TOUCHDOWNS!!!

but seriously does Alex Smith ever pump fake to try to throw off the safeties?
cross slants.

We have the speed, and cross slants are the best way to get someone open either in zone coverage or man.
especially with the Ginn-ster, brother!
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
more TOUCHDOWNS!!!

Pumpfaking requires time in the pocket, doesn't it? How much time does he really have?

The reason why the spread/shotgun is effective is that it basically buys him a couple of extra seconds to spot openings in the defense...any openings. He really doesn't have the luxury to get picky.

Additional things I'd like to see in the playbook:

1. How about some designed rollouts to move the pocket? Give Alex the time to run for yards or spot a crossing pattern from the opposite side of the field. Alex is actually pretty good throwing on the run (when he's not backpeddling/running for his life).

2. Why not try something like a HB option from time to time?

3. Reverses, End Arounds would be good to sprinkle in. Use Ginn's superior speed to an advantage.

4. Set up some screens for Westbrook....really, just do it.

Things I'd like to see gone from the playbook:

1. The Wildcat...LMAO.
2. Gore off guard.
3. Any play designed to go to Moran Norris.
The OL has done an above average job for us this year!!! a big improvement with giving mr. smith time to throw the ball from years past.

smith cannot eye one target and expect the defense to not adjust to where he's throwing. you see this time and time again on pass plays where he'll target a receiver and just throw it!
  • kray28
  • Veteran
The OL has done an above average job for us this year!!! a big improvement with giving mr. smith time to throw the ball from years past.

smith cannot eye one target and expect the defense to not adjust to where he's throwing. you see this time and time again on pass plays where he'll target a receiver and just throw it!

Not sure what games in which bizarro universe you are watching, but the OL is not playing "above average" this season in any stretch of the imagination.

There are problems all over....whether it's penalties or missed assignments to the plain and simple fact that they cannot generate even a mediocre level of push.
Originally posted by kray28:

Not sure what games in which bizarro universe you are watching, but the OL is not playing "above average" this season in any stretch of the imagination.

There are problems all over....whether it's penalties or missed assignments to the plain and simple fact that they cannot generate even a mediocre level of push.

imma trade you for a cardinals poster!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
How about a long bomb.

Looking ahead to next season, here's what I'd like to see...

Singletary out, Gruden in (I would love Mooch as offensive coordinator!)

Antiquated offense out, West Cost in (not saying that the West Coast offense will make all the difference in the world, but I believe that Gruden coaching Smith will make a difference, and I feel the 49ers should stick to the West Coast offense, period. It is a team identity, and as the Steelers have done, I think a team identity should be maintained).

3-4 out, Tampa 2 in.

The off-season would be focused on acquiring the real missing link on the defense to run Tampa 2; a Warren Sapp type 3-tech penetrator.

In this scenario, I think the best course with the existing personnel would be an under-front cover 2 based system. This makes best use of our existing personnel with Smith moving back to his natural pressure DE spot, Franklin maintaining a nose spot, and Sopoaga playing at the strong side DE.

Sopoaga's primary responsibility here is to play outside the tackle, preventing the zone stretch from getting on the strong side outside linebacker (which would be Spikes, as it needs to be a strong backer capable of standing up to the power-o).

Willis would take the MLB spot, with Lawson manning the weak side bubble between the under tackle and the end.

Alternatively, Lawson could play the strong side in order to create pressure, and Spikes the weak side to strengthen the run defense when the opponent tries to take advantage of the under-tackle's penetrating focus.

Brooks and LaBoy would likely compete for Smith's backup, and I think Brooks wins out. LaBoy's let go and Brooks is groomed to be a pass rushing defensive end.

I think the focus on a cover 2 defense helps the secondary by giving the corners constant help over the top, allowing them to continue being aggressive with less damage when it backfires. The system allows us to produce pressure with the front four by permitting Smith to focus on getting to the QB rather than manufacturing pressure by taking play makers like Willis out of coverage.
Originally posted by adembroski:
Looking ahead to next season, here's what I'd like to see...

Singletary out, Gruden in (I would love Mooch as offensive coordinator!)

Antiquated offense out, West Cost in (not saying that the West Coast offense will make all the difference in the world, but I believe that Gruden coaching Smith will make a difference, and I feel the 49ers should stick to the West Coast offense, period. It is a team identity, and as the Steelers have done, I think a team identity should be maintained).

3-4 out, Tampa 2 in.

The off-season would be focused on acquiring the real missing link on the defense to run Tampa 2; a Warren Sapp type 3-tech penetrator.

In this scenario, I think the best course with the existing personnel would be an under-front cover 2 based system. This makes best use of our existing personnel with Smith moving back to his natural pressure DE spot, Franklin maintaining a nose spot, and Sopoaga playing at the strong side DE.

Sopoaga's primary responsibility here is to play outside the tackle, preventing the zone stretch from getting on the strong side outside linebacker (which would be Spikes, as it needs to be a strong backer capable of standing up to the power-o).

Willis would take the MLB spot, with Lawson manning the weak side bubble between the under tackle and the end.

Alternatively, Lawson could play the strong side in order to create pressure, and Spikes the weak side to strengthen the run defense when the opponent tries to take advantage of the under-tackle's penetrating focus.

Brooks and LaBoy would likely compete for Smith's backup, and I think Brooks wins out. LaBoy's let go and Brooks is groomed to be a pass rushing defensive end.

I think the focus on a cover 2 defense helps the secondary by giving the corners constant help over the top, allowing them to continue being aggressive with less damage when it backfires. The system allows us to produce pressure with the front four by permitting Smith to focus on getting to the QB rather than manufacturing pressure by taking play makers like Willis out of coverage.

Gruden... is that you?
how about a QB that is accurate and can throw a ball with zip.

Oh wait I guess we just started one of those
Originally posted by kray28:
more TOUCHDOWNS!!!

Pumpfaking requires time in the pocket, doesn't it? How much time does he really have?

The reason why the spread/shotgun is effective is that it basically buys him a couple of extra seconds to spot openings in the defense...any openings. He really doesn't have the luxury to get picky.

Additional things I'd like to see in the playbook:

1. How about some designed rollouts to move the pocket? Give Alex the time to run for yards or spot a crossing pattern from the opposite side of the field. Alex is actually pretty good throwing on the run (when he's not backpeddling/running for his life).

2. Why not try something like a HB option from time to time?

3. Reverses, End Arounds would be good to sprinkle in. Use Ginn's superior speed to an advantage.

4. Set up some screens for Westbrook....really, just do it.

Things I'd like to see gone from the playbook:

1. The Wildcat...LMAO.
2. Gore off guard.
3. Any play designed to go to Moran Norris.
Share 49ersWebzone