LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Additions you would like to see to the playbook in 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex Smith needs to be sent in 2-3 alt plays to audible; Obviously, when the play calling is delayed he should be allowed to audible. Let him read the coverage and audible as needed. Most of all, Alex was called a 'Mobile QB' as a draft pick (so many years ago)...so let him run. He is big enough, strong enough, and the kid is tough. look at all the pounding this kid has had to endure.
naked bootleg. i know 1 of the zoners are going to post a pic of nakec women.
would love to see some Double Wing
2 backs go in motion, playaction to the fullback up the middle, 2 tight ends run a skinny post and qb threads the needle right in the middle! works everytime!

In addition to my post above on who to do the game planning and scripting for the coming game, to bigmike, jR, alex, i would like to add baalke and solari. Get input from them all. Bigmike is no O tactician, but if he surrounds himself with good guys, they can as a group come up with a pretty decent game plan for the next game. This doesn't work if bigmike slips back into his "play not to lose" mentality, something he was horrible with initially. Look, bigmike, you got the job already. Now do stuff that works in other good programs. We are entering this yr with the best team talent we have had in 8 , maybe 9 yrs, and it is a mountain size better than what we had as recent as 3-4 yrs ago. Bigmike, you have guided us to the breakthru. Take the next step, have input in scripting plays and watch your team go bonkers. Play not to lose, and you will...lose.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
-The pitch to the right

-The play action to the TE

-The FB dive

All plays we have seen the last few years when its 3rd and/or 4th and short. With our new big rookies, do we add the QB sneak back into the playbook this year. OR will our short yardage play calling continue to be as weak as Patrick Ewings' knees???

okay i like the playaction to TE

but did u see Gore fumble the pitch?

No on FB dive!
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by Janitor:
The QB sneak is actually still alive, under a portion of a different name, the wildcat. We don't use it, but Smith really isn't the type of QB for that kind of play, nor do we have a big physical thrower who could be versatile enough to handle a true wildcat/QB sneak situation.

I would love to have some better 3rd and short plays though.

what makes a QB, a QB sneak kind of QB???

One who hasn't spent 2 years injured.

Seriously though, a bigger more physical QB has a much better chance at making a play like that, like Garrard, Vick, McNabb before he got old, B.Rape, etc.

Bigger and more Fysical? Smith is 6'4" you CAN'T get much bigger unless the guy is as tall as Shaq.

And I guess since Smith only laid that dude out with one hand limits him.

It's not called cause we've rarely been in that short of 3rd or 4th down situations in the past. QB Sneaks are used when you've only got a few inches to go for a 1st. How many times we been in THAT type of situation? That's Rare Air as far as I'm aware.

In any case QB Sneak is a falling forward play. If you can't get a few inches falling forward and you're 6'4", it's time to take up a different sport.

Okay well with Heitmann in front of you that could be a disadvantage. Let's see if they do it with Baas in front of Smith.

I say yes to all. Dixon and Westbrook can do HB pitch as well as D.Walker. Though the latter would be a TE Pitch.

We need to motion one of our TEs' more seeing as there is not a legit #2 WR on the roster.

And YES like a MUTHA on the FB Dive. When you have the RBs' we do it would keep the Opposing D on their toes. Especially when you get push off the Line. Which we rarely ever had before now.

If you're gonna be a Running team then you NEED to install more Running plays.

And two Backs in Motion? Fogeddaboudit!

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM ]
double TE reverse
More tosses/pitches
More play action
Stretch the field with Ted Ginn
More runs to the outside

Less runs up the gut

What I think can be effective is 4 WR 1 RB, Crabtree, Ginn, Morgan and VD as the receivers and run up the gut. Theyd be so worried about the pass attack with all 4 of them on the field.
i would like to see the "It's 3rd and short and we DON'T run it straight up the gut" play
well executed

Originally posted by Allx9er:
well executed
I'd like to see dixon and westbrook and gore anyone of the three paired up on first down, and sometimes run and sometimes pass, mostly I'd like to see the swing pass to the RB after he checks off on the blitzer. Like they used to do with Tyler, Craig, Rathman and Watters. Do it on first down to get the guys out in space.
Flea flickers...

!!!TONS OF FLEA FLICKERS!!!

I wanna see Alex throw some audibles out there and make some risk throws this season.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 5, 2010 at 2:42 AM ]
Play action!
1. Were known for "smash mouth" football.
2. We have one of the best RB's in the NFL.
3. Opposing D's and coaches know we want to run the ball.
4. Rayes play calls are predictable. Dive, Dive, Pass.

With that said play action could do our O wonders.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
More screen passes to Westbrook.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Sep 5, 2010 at 4:36 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone