LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Additions you would like to see to the playbook in 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
-The pitch to the right

-The play action to the TE

-The FB dive

All plays we have seen the last few years when its 3rd and/or 4th and short. With our new big rookies, do we add the QB sneak back into the playbook this year. OR will our short yardage play calling continue to be as weak as Patrick Ewings' knees???
[ Edited by global_nomad on Sep 4, 2010 at 7:49 PM ]
I hope we used play action alot this year.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
The QB sneak is actually still alive, under a portion of a different name, the wildcat. We don't use it, but Smith really isn't the type of QB for that kind of play, nor do we have a big physical thrower who could be versatile enough to handle a true wildcat/QB sneak situation.

I would love to have some better 3rd and short plays though.
Originally posted by Janitor:
The QB sneak is actually still alive, under a portion of a different name, the wildcat. We don't use it, but Smith really isn't the type of QB for that kind of play, nor do we have a big physical thrower who could be versatile enough to handle a true wildcat/QB sneak situation.

what makes a QB, a QB sneak kind of QB???
Sign Pat White and wildcat.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by Janitor:

what makes a QB, a QB sneak kind of QB???

One who hasn't spent 2 years injured.

Seriously though, a bigger more physical QB has a much better chance at making a play like that, like Garrard, Vick, McNabb before he got old, B.Rape, etc.
How about any type of outside running plays. Or how about some deep patterns that involve ANYONE other than VD.
Seriously though, I'd like to see some major down the field throwing. We can run but that is what everyone expects us to do. I'd like to see Alex throw the ball 50 times in one of the games early in the season. Lets see what he and our Offense can do.
Originally posted by jones49:
Seriously though, I'd like to see some major down the field throwing. We can run but that is what everyone expects us to do. I'd like to see Alex throw the ball 50 times in one of the games early in the season. Lets see what he and our Offense can do.

ya I'm tired of the 3 yard check downs ....they get old after you have already seen it 4 times in the same game.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by jones49:

ya I'm tired of the 3 yard check downs ....they get old after you have already seen it 4 times in the same game.

Seriously. Put 7 or 8 in the box and make us beat you that way has been the way its been. Lets set a different tone and see you opposing D's play us then.

Originally posted by znk916:

Exactly!
Additions i would like to see added? That's easy, and it is an easy fix, too. Put simply,
GET THE DANG PLAYS IN QUICKLY, preferably, the moment the last play ends. I don't care if it is 3rd and 5 from the 45 or 5 yd line, get the plays in immediately, and then watch this O take off. Problem is we have to have some guys who are quick witted doing this. Could I do it? Probably not, BUT....i sure as heck could script 25-30 plays, a couple designed for 3rd and 1, or 2nd and goal, but with bigmike, jimmyrae, and alex all having input on Mon a.m. , the team could work on these particular plays, they could be written on alex's forearm, and could be called quickly, ie, in the peyton mode. This is the one glaring, frustrating, and inexcusable missing key the current crew of coaches has been unable to accomplish. Well, script plays and they don't have to be the quickest thinker out there. This to me is our one biggest problem, is the easiest to fix, unless you have a hardhead for a HC or OC. As for ease, what could be easier.

Oh, it won't work some will say. Well, i just refer you to the golden yrs of GOAT Coach Walsh, a quick thinker if ever there was, and he ....gasp....scripted his first 25-30 plays. Why won't MS do that? Why? If he is a bright guy, i think he will. If he is so entrenched in absolute micromanaging, he won't. But ultimately he could get so much more out of this O with this one tiny change. Will he do it? Man , i hope so.
Slants, screens, some WCO.
Originally posted by znk916:

that about sums it up right there.
Share 49ersWebzone