LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS VS. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
We left them too much time, we should have run the clock down further.

Maybe so, but I have to admit I was stunned that the 49ers were able to drive down and tie the game in crunch time.

Yeah me too. But you HAVE to score when you get the chance. This leaving too much time is BS.

No it isn't. You kill the clock and leave them with no time. Either you tie the game and go into overtime or the game is over.

SO did you want Gore to just stop? And what if we don't punch it in? How DUMB would that be? Come on....

It's funny....your use of the word DUMB....when it's patently clear how little you understand the game and fail to view it holistically.

The Niners moved the ball, but they failed to bleed the clock. They scored in about 0:56 of real game time....they had over an extra minute of game clock to burn. That's a mistake.

trying to get a touchdown is different than only needing field goal. you really shouldn't be talking.

theres this thing called a defense, look it up.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Maybe so, but I have to admit I was stunned that the 49ers were able to drive down and tie the game in crunch time.

Yeah me too. But you HAVE to score when you get the chance. This leaving too much time is BS.

No it isn't. You kill the clock and leave them with no time. Either you tie the game and go into overtime or the game is over.

SO did you want Gore to just stop? And what if we don't punch it in? How DUMB would that be? Come on....

It's funny....your use of the word DUMB....when it's patently clear how little you understand the game and fail to view it holistically.

The Niners moved the ball, but they failed to bleed the clock. They scored in about 0:56 of real game time....they had over an extra minute of game clock to burn. That's a mistake.

And tell me this, how would you go about running time down? Tell Gore to stop? What if we can't punch it in then? Like what happened multiple times in Seattle? Remember against the Cardinals in 2008 on MNF? Jesus too many examples of how wrong you are.

And tell me this, how would you go about running time down? Tell Gore to stop? What if we can't punch it in then? Like what happened multiple times in Seattle? Remember against the Cardinals in 2008 on MNF? Jesus too many examples of how wrong you are.

LOL exactly, dude is talking out of his ass haha
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Alex played arguably his best game as a pro, but his receivers repeatedly screwed things up for him, with drops and fumbles. His line was so-so, with Baas starting it all off with that epic 12 foot snap over the head into the end zone....kudos to Alex for tipping it out.

The 2:00 minute drill was great, but again they were n00bs and didn't bleed enough time off the clock. Why did they keep going out of bounds and stopping the clock? They left too much time for Brees.

If you didn't notice, the offense ran pretty well with Alex calling the plays....not a surprise.

The defense played hard and were true stalwarts...but when it came down to it, Brees burned Goldson for the long completion.

Turnovers really did them in....Saints played like crap, but our turnovers gave the game right back to them.

So dumb. You know Montana left Dallas 57 seconds after 'The Catch' When you have a chance to score. You do it.

LMAO....dumb is not knowing how to manage a game clock. The Niners could have engineered their last drive to bleed off basically all the time in regulation. They had numerous chances to stay inbounds and keep the clock moving while staying in their hurryup.

Watch this video. See how much time Montana leaves the Lions. I guess he is dumb and a noob too?

Are you seriously comparing Montana to Smith? What, you think Montana didn't make mistakes? A mistake is a mistake.....Montana's mistake doesn't justify Smith's mistake.

Wasn't just Smith....it was Gore too.....ran out of bounds to stop the clock when he could have stayed in bounds and kept the clock running. Davis too...dropping a pass that he had in his hands because he was too scared of the hit that was coming.

the defense should have stopped them. ur football knowledge is disturbing.

The game was tied...you can reliably rely on defense when you are up 4 or more pts. But when the opposing team only needs a FG to win (with the wind to their backs), you try to tie and bleed the clock.

It's funny how this basic idea is actually being questioned. I could understand a quick score if we threw a bomb or Gore broke off a long TD run...sure you take those. But in a contrived 2 minute drill, where we picked up yardage in little chunks, you want to use the clock up depending on how much time is remaining. The fact remains that we had a ton of time. So why did our players keep running out of bounds? Against a QB like Brees, a smart QB who'll take what the defense gives him, a 1:19 is an eternity. All he needed to do was get them into FG range.
I'm not a Smith fan but wow... he looked like a real NFL quarterback from 2nd quarter till the end!!! I hope to God this is his turnaround :-) as far as time left on the clock get over it... their job was to score and convert a 2 pt. conversion. They did just that. Outstanding job!!!

What a minute didn't they score on 1st and goal with a run by Gore for eight yards right down the middle ?

I suspect they thought they were burning the clock by calling that play and expecting to get three or four yards, meaning they could take time off the clock and have three downs to get the TD.

Once Gore goes in great but I think they called the run precisely TO burn time.
  • kray28
  • Veteran

trying to get a touchdown is different than only needing field goal. you really shouldn't be talking.

theres this thing called a defense, look it up.

A defense that failed....I wouldn't have depended on this D to keep Brees out of FG range with over a minute to go. We stopped the Saints some of the time....but not all of the time. Even then they racked up the yards between the 20s quite a bit.

The first part of your post is nonsensical....so maybe you should be the one not talking.
  • Mex49
I'm so happy it was games 1 and 2 and not 11 and 12 that we are learning these lessons again.

We start using our heads and we can go places
Our special teams was garbage. The worst i've ever seen. What was their average starting field position. Must have been at the 40'
Alex played arguably his best game as a pro, but his receivers repeatedly screwed things up for him, with drops and fumbles. His line was so-so, with Baas starting it all off with that epic 12 foot snap over the head into the end zone....kudos to Alex for tipping it out.

The 2:00 minute drill was great, but again they were n00bs and didn't bleed enough time off the clock. Why did they keep going out of bounds and stopping the clock? They left too much time for Brees.

If you didn't notice, the offense ran pretty well with Alex calling the plays....not a surprise.

The defense played hard and were true stalwarts...but when it came down to it, Brees burned Goldson for the long completion.

Turnovers really did them in....Saints played like crap, but our turnovers gave the game right back to them.

So dumb. You know Montana left Dallas 57 seconds after 'The Catch' When you have a chance to score. You do it.

LMAO....dumb is not knowing how to manage a game clock. The Niners could have engineered their last drive to bleed off basically all the time in regulation. They had numerous chances to stay inbounds and keep the clock moving while staying in their hurryup.

Watch this video. See how much time Montana leaves the Lions. I guess he is dumb and a noob too?

Are you seriously comparing Montana to Smith? What, you think Montana didn't make mistakes? A mistake is a mistake.....Montana's mistake doesn't justify Smith's mistake.

Wasn't just Smith....it was Gore too.....ran out of bounds to stop the clock when he could have stayed in bounds and kept the clock running. Davis too...dropping a pass that he had in his hands because he was too scared of the hit that was coming.

the defense should have stopped them. ur football knowledge is disturbing.

The game was tied...you can reliably rely on defense when you are up 4 or more pts. But when the opposing team only needs a FG to win (with the wind to their backs), you try to tie and bleed the clock.

It's funny how this basic idea is actually being questioned. I could understand a quick score if we threw a bomb or Gore broke off a long TD run...sure you take those. But in a contrived 2 minute drill, where we picked up yardage in little chunks, you want to use the clock up depending on how much time is remaining. The fact remains that we had a ton of time. So why did our players keep running out of bounds? Against a QB like Brees, a smart QB who'll take what the defense gives him, a 1:19 is an eternity. All he needed to do was get them into FG range.

Yes taking more time off the clock would be wonderful, but you are down 8 you need a score you have no TO left... Why do you take the risk of staying in bounds and having the clock run? When the 49ers got down to the 7 yard line (or around there) they saw that they stilll had a min to score so they RAN the ball like you are saying, but the play was executed and the 49ers got the TD. Nothing wrong with that.

Say gore get tackled at the 1 yard line, they score with 40 second left. They executed the play well and scored 1:15 is left and Brees beat them with a great throw to Colston. (Great throw beats Great coverage 100% of the time)

• kray28
  • Veteran

1. Why are you personally attacking me?

2. Gore doesn't need to stop. He needs to not run out of bounds....he needs to stay in bounds until he is tackled. The clock will keep running. Same with Smith....instead of running OOB, do a slide.

They played the game well....but didn't think it well.

2. Gore doesn't need to stop. He needs to not run out of bounds....he needs to stay in bounds until he is tackled. The clock will keep running. Same with Smith....instead of running OOB, do a slide.

Sorry man but I don't think there's a WR or RB in the NFL who doesn't go out of bounds exactly like Gore did in that instance. Not having a go at you though.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

This is your opinion, not a fact. Your strategy could have backfired as well. There are risks in either choice.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by al49erfan:

Yes taking more time off the clock would be wonderful, but you are down 8 you need a score you have no TO left... Why do you take the risk of staying in bounds and having the clock run? When the 49ers got down to the 7 yard line (or around there) they saw that they stilll had a min to score so they RAN the ball like you are saying, but the play was executed and the 49ers got the TD. Nothing wrong with that.

Say gore get tackled at the 1 yard line, they score with 40 second left. They executed the play well and scored 1:15 is left and Brees beat them with a great throw to Colston. (Great throw beats Great coverage 100% of the time)

Their 2 minute drill started at about the 2:10 mark....when they scored the TD there was 1:19 left on the clock.

They ran about 8 plays in the drive. The first play was a pass to middle to Davis which he caught...but it was a 2:00 warning. So the clock stopped. The pass to Morgan was to sidelines OOB, Gore took a screen up the sidelines and ran OOB. Davis dropped a pass over the middle. Smith ran with it up the sideline OOB.

All these plays ended with the clock stopping. That's why there was so little time used.

My point, they didn't need to panic about time...there was plenty of it. Staying inbounds on even two of the plays above, would have bled off 30-40 more seconds and forced the Saints to use timeouts.....timeouts they wouldn't have had on any ensuing drive.
Originally posted by Giggiddy:
I'm not a Smith fan but wow... he looked like a real NFL quarterback from 2nd quarter till the end!!! I hope to God this is his turnaround :-) as far as time left on the clock get over it... their job was to score and convert a 2 pt. conversion. They did just that. Outstanding job!!!

yes
Share 49ersWebzone