LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Our special teams are going to suck this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
It's just weird how Sing talked about how ST was going to be a big thing for us and how some roster spots could be decided by it and MRob gets cut while being a 2 time pro bowl alternate for special teams?

I don't think you're overreacting. I think cutting M-Rob was a stupid move, personally. They're contradicting themselves by saying ST is so incredibly important, while at the same time cutting arguably the best -- and I'd say by far -- special teamer on the team. There are others who could've been let go instead. Comparing Robinson to Jackson -- not a great analogy. Jackson was a good coverage guy, but that was it. Robinson is a far better blocker while being better in the other aspects of STs. I can understand all the other cuts. Those are fine. I'm not okay with the MRob release.

I sure hope it's not Jehuu staying in his place. Caulcrick is not a good enough FB-of-the-future prospect to keep over your former ST's captain. He had one nice run due to awful tackling by scrub players.

Hill had talent, but just got stuck deep on the Depth Chart. Now he has a chance to go somewhere else, and I believe he will.

Paymah was awful, and Miller should make it to the PS, which is what I'm sure we'll try to do with him.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 3, 2010 at 12:25 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erWill:
ninertalk

huh
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by darkknight49:
its like cutting Terry Jackson all over again!

oh the humanity!

lol.
I think you have to consider the Mike Rob cut with the gameday 45 in mind. If he wasn't good enough to make the top 45, then there's no point to keeping him inactive since those last 8 spots should mostly go to developmental guys that you don't want to risk putting on the PS and losing to other teams.

I don't think Caulcrick is one of our top 45 and I don't think there's any risk of losing him to another team so I don't think he makes the roster either.

edit: Caulcrick just got cut so there you go
[ Edited by znk916 on Sep 3, 2010 at 12:25 PM ]
Couldn't suck more than what our special teams were last year.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

No doubt.

It's funny how our special teams can suck with him, but as soon as he gets cut, they act like we had a great special teams unit and are just now going to start to suck.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
It's just weird how Sing talked about how ST was going to be a big thing for us and how some roster spots could be decided by it and MRob gets cut while being a 2 time pro bowl alternate for special teams?

I don't think you're overreacting. I think cutting M-Rob was a stupid move, personally. They're contradicting themselves by saying ST is so incredibly important, while at the same time cutting arguably the best -- and I'd say by far -- special teamer on the team. There are others who could've been let go instead. Comparing Robinson to Jackson -- not a great analogy. Jackson was a good coverage guy, but that was it. Robinson is a far better blocker while being better in the other aspects of STs. I can understand all the other cuts. Those are fine. I'm not okay with the MRob release.

I sure hope it's not Jehuu staying in his place. Caulcrick is not a good enough FB-of-the-future prospect to keep over your former ST's captain. He had one nice run due to awful tackling by scrub players.

Hill had talent, but just got stuck deep on the Depth Chart. Now he has a chance to go somewhere else, and I believe he will.

Paymah was awful, and Miller should make it to the PS, which is what I'm sure we'll try to do with him.

Thank you!
Originally posted by 49erRider:

No doubt.

It's funny how our special teams can suck with him, but as soon as he gets cut, they act like we had a great special teams unit and are just now going to start to suck.

The issue is, our ST's only started to suck when we had no KR/PR. Our coverage units were fine. Our return game was non-existent because we had no players with any mental capacity of when to catch or not catch/return punts, any vision to get yardage when they did field kicks, NOR the ability to hang on to the ball when either fielding or running kicks back.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 3, 2010 at 12:44 PM ]
Navorro Bowman and Taylor Mays are going to be special teams BEASTS
Oh please...we can find other people to run down the field and make tackles and block!!! Our special teams will be scoring more points this year and giving our team better field position and thats all I care about!!!
[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Sep 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM ]

Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Oh please...we can find other people to run down the field and make tackles and block!!! Our special teams will be scoring more points this year and giving our team better field position and thats all I care about!!!

Why do you have to be like that?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by 49erRider:

No doubt.

The issue is, our ST's only started to suck when we had no KR/PR. Our coverage units were fine. Our return game was non-existent because we had no players with any mental capacity of when to catch or not catch/return punts, any vision to get yardage when they did field kicks, NOR the ability to hang on to the ball when either fielding or running kicks back.

All that tells me is the return man is more responsible for for making Robinson look good than vice-versa. All Robinson needed to do was find the first defender and throw a block. The returner is responsible for following that block. There's absolutely no chance in hell that you or anyone else can convince me that nobody else on the roster can do what Robinson did - just throw a block on the closest man.. Come on.

And yes, our coverage units were decent.. McKillop was better than Robinson in that department.
I take this as a good sign that guys like MROB are getting released. This to me doesn't show a lack of ST commitment rather it shows that we are too good to keep guys who can't contribute on anything other than ST.

We now have guys like T.Mays/N.Bowman/T.Brown/R.Smith/D.Zeigler/K.Williams/T.Ginn/A.Brooks/T.Laboy/D.Walker/A.Dixon etc to play ST these guys are well rounded players. We no longer keep backups that suck at their regular position like MROB
Young guys will step up...T.Mays, Reggie Smith, Curtis Taylor, Anthony Dixon all have shown can play ST's.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Hmm. Our Special teams have:

Ted Ginn
Philip Adams
Kyle Williams
Taylor Mays
Navorro Bowman
Reggie Smith

Anthony Dixon
Nate Byham
Plus a couple of fringe starters...

That's a pretty fast group of guys. I'm not worried a bit.

I posted this earlier in thread. Just look at that speed. This is a very good ST coverage unit.
Share 49ersWebzone