LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Who should start... Sopoaga or McDonald?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who should start... Sopoaga or McDonald?

For now I'd like to see Soap on running situations and McDonald on passing situations. Maybe McDonald takes over full time later on.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
For now I'd like to see Soap on running situations and McDonald on passing situations. Maybe McDonald takes over full time later on.
Both are studs. If we ran a 4-3 front I'd want McDonald as one of the starters. Sopo better fits a 3-4 front. McDonald will still play a lot especially on passing downs.
not sure McDonald can hold block in run support
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
The real question should be Demetric Evans or Khalif Mitchell. I like it that Sopoaga and RJF could fill in at NT if needed, same with Khalif Mitchell. Evans hasn't really shown a thing since hes been here, I rather go with the young guy here.
Base defense: Soapoaga

Passing Downs: McDonald
Originally posted by Kolohe:
The real question should be Demetric Evans or Khalif Mitchell. I like it that Sopoaga and RJF could fill in at NT if needed, same with Khalif Mitchell. Evans hasn't really shown a thing since hes been here, I rather go with the young guy here.

Easily agree with this. It's not even a close call for me... keep Mitchell over Evans.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Easily agree with this. It's not even a close call for me... keep Mitchell over Evans.

(Sorry for the thread hijack)

But Evans just seems like a vet in the line-up that's it. He doesn't really fit in a 3-4, nor does he show it. Evans hasn't shown he can control the LOS or penetrate in the backfield. At least with Sopoaga and McDonald you've seen them do one of two things. Mitchell has been that big body we all hoped Balmer would be, in that first Preseason game vs. Indy, he's was of the reasons Davis and Briggs did well. What does Evans bring to the table???

Mitchell over Evans!!!!
Originally posted by oldman9er:

(Sorry for the thread hijack)

But Evans just seems like a vet in the line-up that's it. He doesn't really fit in a 3-4, nor does he show it. Evans hasn't shown he can control the LOS or penetrate in the backfield. At least with Sopoaga and McDonald you've seen them do one of two things. Mitchell has been that big body we all hoped Balmer would be, in that first Preseason game vs. Indy, he's was of the reasons Davis and Briggs did well. What does Evans bring to the table???

Mitchell over Evans!!!!

(Sorry for the thread hijack) x2

... and yeah, I haven't seen Evans do anything whatsoever that would secure him of a spot on the roster. Mitchell over Evans!!!!
Originally posted by Gore_21:

I can see this happening, but Ray Mac has improved in stopping the run, but Ray is a better pass rusher on 3rd and long situations

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Apparently DC Greg Manusky says it's a close competition which is still undecided.

Hey P, where did you read that?

I really like Ray Mac, but the rotation combo may be most effective. Also, I wonder when Ray Mac's contract is up? I know we signed Soap to a five year about two years ago.

One thing I would say is, every time Ray is in his presence is felt. He is so quick off the ball and has a high motor.

I heard it last week from DC Greg Manusky while he was being interviewed on KNBR.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Apparently DC Greg Manusky says it's a close competition which is still undecided.

Hey P, where did you read that?

I really like Ray Mac, but the rotation combo may be most effective. Also, I wonder when Ray Mac's contract is up? I know we signed Soap to a five year about two years ago.

One thing I would say is, every time Ray is in his presence is felt. He is so quick off the ball and has a high motor.

I heard it last week from DC Greg Manusky while he was being interviewed on KNBR.

Hopefully it means that Ray has gotten better against the run because he has really struggled against the run since hes been in the league
Share 49ersWebzone