LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Clayton Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sdninerfan:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Here's your poster boy:

21. Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers

Analysis: It's hard to believe this is Smith's sixth season. The pressure is on him to get the 49ers to the playoffs. He has not lived up to his No. 1 billing in the draft, obviously, but the surrounding cast is good enough to make a playoff run. One of the faults I noticed when I saw him in the preseason is that he doesn't always hit receivers in stride.
Chance of being elite: 0 percent

It's very true elite QB's can hit a receiver in stride when they have to.

think why i still dont trust this guy even with a pro bowl cast we could end up not making the playoff's because of play

im not a Smith backer but i want the playoffs SO BAD that i really dont have no choice but back him.

Just imagine what kind of team we would have if we had A REAL NFL QB like lets say Drew Brees????..............

I think this is a legitimate criticism of Smith, and something that bears watching.

And I know I will get flamed for this, but Brady in 2012, assuming a lockout in 2011, isn't out of the question right now. His deal ends at the end of the year. He seems a little upset that a new contract hasn't been worked out, he's living on the west coast and didn't want to travel east for voluntary workouts. And we've all heard who he grew up supporting. I expect a deal with the Patriots will get worked out, or a franchise tag slapped on him, but it's at least plausible as of the last day of August.

I wouldn't want Brady on the 49ers, I don't think I could handle it.

In fact, I don't want to even think about it. The thought of it alone overloads my head with so much joy that my brain wants to explode.
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
Unless it's jaws, steve young, jon gruden or m. hodge, these so-called espn experts' opinions are worth no more than anyone's on this board. except for the ones i listed, they don't breakdown film, they go off of highlights/box scores. of course alex struggled. but coming from utah in that system wasn't he supposed to? did people think urban meyer was lying? over his last apprx 20 starts (not incl the separated shoulder starts) he has been better than the 21st best qb. with the line, lack of weapons, multiple systems and some bad qb coaching, i think he's been ok. from his rookie yr to his 2nd yr there was improvement. last yr was improvement. and this yr he has shown improvement. i'll take alex over more than a few clayton list ahead of him.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Here's your poster boy:

21. Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers

Analysis: It's hard to believe this is Smith's sixth season. The pressure is on him to get the 49ers to the playoffs. He has not lived up to his No. 1 billing in the draft, obviously, but the surrounding cast is good enough to make a playoff run. One of the faults I noticed when I saw him in the preseason is that he doesn't always hit receivers in stride.
Chance of being elite: 0 percent

It's very true elite QB's can hit a receiver in stride when they have to.

think why i still dont trust this guy even with a pro bowl cast we could end up not making the playoff's because of play

im not a Smith backer but i want the playoffs SO BAD that i really dont have no choice but back him.

Just imagine what kind of team we would have if we had A REAL NFL QB like lets say Drew Brees????..............

Just for fun...where do you think Brees was in QB ranking before he went to New Orleans? The Chargers had so much faith in him, they drafted another franchise QB because they thought they missed on Brees. The Dolphins chose to pass on him in favor of Culpepper, though Brees' shoulder injury had something to do with that.

All I am saying is it took Brees a few years to become "elite". Not saying Alex will necessarily follow that path but lets not pretend that Brees was "elite" from the beginning.

Bress was always a good passer with the Chargers, but they felt he wasn't prototypical and no one knew how he would comeback from that shoulder injury. He would have gotten more suitors if not for that injury. Things however have a way of working out for those.

No he wasn't
that's why they drafted Eli Manning which became Philip Rivers
Brees didnt start to play well until after Rivers was on the team

Actually; Brees ran hot and cold. He was on an off year(due to Line issues) and nearing the end of his contract(midway point actually) so their GM chose Manning(Rivers by trade) and then Brees had a solid year so they traded Brees to New Orleans and went with the Rookie. Brees has a Super Bowl and Tomlinson has moved on to the Jets and effectively leveled the playing field for the AFCWest. Rivers is no more likely to go to and win a Super Bowl than many people here believe Alex is.

I don't have the list but I think that Smith is a better QB than Rivers, due to Rivers sidearm delivery. When you put the ball at the same height as the Defensive Linemen they should be able to get a hand on it and that creates turnovers.

So where is Rivers listed? If he's in the top 15 Clayton is a moron who should stop eating paint chips.

Now I'm really interested to see Clayton's list. If for no other reason than laugh value.

~Ceadder

Seriously. You're putting Smith ahead of Rivers and accusing someone else of eating paint chips.

Philip Rivers has had 2 seasons of a 100 rating average. 2 time Pro Bowler, and finished 3rd in MVP voting last season.

Alex has 4 100 rating games, and 1 300 yard game. That's with 43 starts under his belt.

You bet your ass I do.

I gave a very good reason why as well. San Diego no longer has Tomlinson. They still have some solid Backs but I don't think they'll be all that now that LT is over in New York. Which doesn't take pressure off the QB position in SD. He's got to make his throws count more and Defenses know that he sidearms the ball.

But here I'll name some more to cement my position about Clayton and his paint chip fetish.

1 thru 3 you really can't argue with. In fact they're probably the easiest to rank and most fans would probably have them ranked the same. It's nothing Clayton couldn't have snagged from a fan poll.

1.Peyton
2. Brady
3. Brees

Now here is where he starts sliding on rails to showing how unintelligent he is.

Roethlessberger @ 4? Over Favre? Are we kidding? Big Ben is not a top 5 QB. No freakin way. Every Starter could go belly up get stuck in the ground and he STILL wouldn't crack the top 5. His completion percentage is one of the LOWEST in the league.

5-9 is pure BS.

5. Favre. Should be number 4.
6. Rodgers. Yay you made the post season with basically the same talent that Favre had before he "retired".
7. Rivers.
8.Romo
9. McNabb.

As I show no way Favre is worse than Roethlesberger, in fact I rank him higher cause he pulls Wins out his ass when it matters. Big Ben has NEVER done this. Not ever.

Rivers for his sidearm.
Romo is a choke artist.
And how the hell did those two rate ABOVE McNabb who if we signed him would have taken us to the Super Bowl by Claytons own deluded rantings on Murph and Mac? If McNabb is so damn good that he could do this BEFORE our draft, how the hell you rank that guy at 9 below two guys that haven't even gotten to the big dance?

And let's include #10 Carson Palmer. Palmer is a much better QB than Romo and Rivers. How does Clayton justify ranking him below them except by having McNabb ranked below them.

I would also point out that Cutler and Orton are also ranked WAY too high. Should be nearer to where Garrard is. Jason Cambell deserves 19 based on what? Hasselback is an injury away from being out of the league but should still be ranked higher than Eli because he IS a better QB.

Vince Young and Smith are in the same boat but there's no mention of this in Young's write up.

So how can I take anyone whose list has so many discrepancies seriously?

Especially someone who only uses stats when it suits his purpose. i.e. Matt Schaub.

I stand by my opinion the man eats big fat lead filled paint chips.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by tjd808185:
He didn't start the Houston game. Playing against prevent the entire 2nd half tends to bump up stats.

Anyway you look at it saying he's close to Rivers is an absurd statement. Rivers has a career average of a 95 rating.

So Texas ran "Prevent" for an entire half?

I stand by my assesment. If you put Smith in the same circumstances as Rivers has had over the last 5 years, Smith would be a better QB.

Frank is the man as far as I'm concerned, but not in LTs' level in the latter man's prime.

Hell Smith might have done more than Rivers given how quickly he picked up Turners' Offense. But that's speculative. Just remember that Rivers has had the advantage of being the best QB on a pretty deep team in the AFCWest. A Division that they owned for the last 3 years without much competition for it. Based on PLAY however Rivers would probably have been run out of San Francisco had he played for us. Hell Smith almost was.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by susweel:
See even the experts say he sucks...........

I don't see how its funny.
Originally posted by TheVoiceOfReason:

he's a jackass, just walkaway slowly and don't make eye contact
Originally posted by jreff22:

LOL
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Roethlessberger @ 4? Over Favre? Are we kidding? Big Ben is not a top 5 QB. No freakin way. Every Starter could go belly up get stuck in the ground and he STILL wouldn't crack the top 5. His completion percentage is one of the LOWEST in the league.

Nice try but Big Completed 67% of his passes last year! For his career its 63.3%.

Not that I like Ben but your use of BS needs to be curtailed some.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by ACPReincarnated:
So whose opinion do we take?

Ron Jaworski, a former NFL quarterback who sees improvement in Smith, or.....

The child molester John Clayon who has no NFL experience?

Anyone have an answer to that?

Do you have any nfl experience...?

Good job of missing the point. Did I say that I did? Or did I ask whose opinion should we respect, the former Nfl quarterback Jaworski or a clown like Clayton?

Avoiding the point and adding spin, now that's fly.
Originally posted by danimal:
Fantasy Football Owners tend to be more educated about the game....and usually Alex Smith does not get drafted.....so I would say this sounds about right. Most unbiased knowledgeable fans can list off a good 15-20 QB's they would prefer over Alex.

This is likely his last year in our uniform imo

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
These rankings by Clayton were a godsend for Fly15. He's just drooling over it!

• fly15
  • Veteran

Good job of missing the point. Did I say that I did? Or did I ask whose opinion should we respect, the former Nfl quarterback Jaworski or a clown like Clayton?

ohh these resurrection guys.....

ohh these resurrection guys.....

Failed to respond to the question. Good job.

LOL

Anybody know where I can find the "punch somebody in the face through my screen" app.

LOL

Anybody know where I can find the "punch somebody in the face through my screen" app.

Share 49ersWebzone