There are 268 users in the forums

Clayton Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
This season will tell us whether he is a quality QB or not. He has all the weapons, he has the oline, and we will see if Jimmy Raye's offensive philosophy will allow him to blossom or not. But this is his year. I think he has the talent and we will see if he can put it together.

This has been my main issue with our team. Normally, when a team has as many weapons as we do on offense and a top 10 defense, playoffs isn't the goal for these types of teams, a Superbowl is.

I do think we have lowered our standards so much due to the amount invested in Smith that we are OK not having a Super win as a goal for this team.

We have:

a top 5 running back
a top 5 TE
a backup TE who can pose so many mismatches that he can act as a receiver
a promising young WR
what looks to be a solid offensive line

Of course, there's the biggest missing piece, QB. I'm fine with Alex Smith getting his last hoorah but playoffs shouldn't be a goal, it should be expected.

Why we acquired David Carr, I have no idea. He just makes things worse if Smith doesn't get it done.

Considering we haven't gotten there in awhile....at least for this season....getting to the playoffs IS THE GOAL.

It should be a given to make the playoffs. It's just annoying that this team had a concrete feeling that they would make the playoffs last year and it doesn't seem at all upset that it didn't. Shoot, even the fans seem to be OK with not making the playoffs last year. I think that's where you see the big difference between Jed and Eddie. Eddie may not have made heads roll and fired people, but he would have for damn sure let it be known that he was not happy with the result last year.

Employees don't work hard to improve until you light their ass on fire which is what coaches do to players when they bring in another capable player at his position. Jed should have at least let it be known to the GM and HC that they will be gone if they don't make it this year. I'm sure Singletary would have a fire lit under his ass to make sure balls don't touch the ground during practice. Everything would be done much better.

Jed did end up firing Scott, but it wasn't performance based and he lucked into Baalke taking over this draft rather than firing Scott for par or subpar drafts.
Here we go again! God can we please fast foward to Game 1?

Originally posted by Redeemer:
What about the 13 times he hit Vernon Davis in stride, all TDs no less, last year?

they were not all in stride, in stride means not stopping or slowing down, some of the patterns like a hitch or curl doesn't require the receiver to be hit in stride. In stride is like the one he misread this preseason to VD that would have been a touchdown.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Here's your poster boy:

21. Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers

Analysis: It's hard to believe this is Smith's sixth season. The pressure is on him to get the 49ers to the playoffs. He has not lived up to his No. 1 billing in the draft, obviously, but the surrounding cast is good enough to make a playoff run. One of the faults I noticed when I saw him in the preseason is that he doesn't always hit receivers in stride.
Chance of being elite: 0 percent

It's very true elite QB's can hit a receiver in stride when they have to.

think why i still dont trust this guy even with a pro bowl cast we could end up not making the playoff's because of play

im not a Smith backer but i want the playoffs SO BAD that i really dont have no choice but back him.

Just imagine what kind of team we would have if we had A REAL NFL QB like lets say Drew Brees????..............

Just for fun...where do you think Brees was in QB ranking before he went to New Orleans? The Chargers had so much faith in him, they drafted another franchise QB because they thought they missed on Brees. The Dolphins chose to pass on him in favor of Culpepper, though Brees' shoulder injury had something to do with that.

All I am saying is it took Brees a few years to become "elite". Not saying Alex will necessarily follow that path but lets not pretend that Brees was "elite" from the beginning.
Originally posted by kem99:
Here's your poster boy:

Analysis: It's hard to believe this is Smith's sixth season. The pressure is on him to get the 49ers to the playoffs. He has not lived up to his No. 1 billing in the draft, obviously, but the surrounding cast is good enough to make a playoff run. One of the faults I noticed when I saw him in the preseason is that he doesn't always hit receivers in stride.

think why i still dont trust this guy even with a pro bowl cast we could end up not making the playoff's because of play

im not a Smith backer but i want the playoffs SO BAD that i really dont have no choice but back him.

Just imagine what kind of team we would have if we had A REAL NFL QB like lets say Drew Brees????..............

Just for fun...where do you think Brees was in QB ranking before he went to New Orleans? The Chargers had so much faith in him, they drafted another franchise QB because they thought they missed on Brees. The Dolphins chose to pass on him in favor of Culpepper, though Brees' shoulder injury had something to do with that.

All I am saying is it took Brees a few years to become "elite". Not saying Alex will necessarily follow that path but lets not pretend that Brees was "elite" from the beginning.

Bress was always a good passer with the Chargers, but they felt he wasn't prototypical and no one knew how he would comeback from that shoulder injury. He would have gotten more suitors if not for that injury. Things however have a way of working out for those.
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:

All this "not hitting receivers in stride" crap is bulls**t. I think he can hit receivers in stride when he feels confident in his chemistry with the receivers, and also when he has time.

Sure has shown that he can hit #85, 21, 15, 46 in stride.
My prediction is Alex Smith is a top 10 QB this year
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
I was thinking about the hitting receivers in-stride thing. Warner was a master of that. Smith isn't. He also has trouble throwing receivers open or before they break. They generally have to already be open for him to feel comfortable.

what does that tell you?

Even with such great talent like Davis & Crabtree on his team he lacks the feel for the game in general

such great legends like Montana Young & Even Garcia really never had that problem

well whatever the case is there are NO MORE ALEXCUSES 2 years in the system a upgraded line more weapons at his disposal

TRULLY THE MAKE OR BREAK YEAR FOR NUMERO 11

Actually, Davis wasn't great until last year and Alex never got a chance to work with Crabtree until halfway through the year. As I recall, Davis really took off last year once Alex took over for Hill, including the 3TDs in the 2nd half of the Texans game.

I'll give you Montana but Young did have that problem (and a lot of others) in his days with the LA Express and the Bucs, which is why Walsh was able to trade for him rather cheap. He was also able to sit behind Montana for a few years to get better and learn the system that was in place for years. When he was finally ready to play, he had Rice, Jones, etc. to throw to.

Garcia also struggled early, including getting benched my Mooch at one point.

There is plenty to be critical of with Alex but lets at least be fair in the comparisons.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:

All this "not hitting receivers in stride" crap is bulls**t. I think he can hit receivers in stride when he feels confident in his chemistry with the receivers, and also when he has time.

that video wasn't the best to prove alex can hit WR's in stride, as there was only a hand full or so of the passes in that 6min video of him actually doing it, but i do believe there will be a bunch of times he does that this year, he KNOWs the plays, and even with his 2 biggest targets not playing this preseason, he probably has much better timing with them this year, just from having a full off season as the starter, getting all the #1 reps, and crabs there to practice.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:

if any pass shows that he can hit a reciever in stride, its that one to Crabtree during the 2-minute drill in Indy. Crabtree just had to break a tackle and he would have been gone.
Originally posted by fastforward:

It's interesting that the arguments against Smith now get down to the not-hitting-in-stride. That's quite an improvement from last season!

THIS

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
IMO he will be better this year than what we have seen. So called "experts" are going off of the past which is the only body of work they can judge. But he never had a good O Line in front of him until this year and he never ever had 2 years in the same system and with the same coordinator until now. So he will for sure be better IMO.

Ubran Meyer gave us an exact road map. He told us what to do. "Alex is NON FUNCTIONAL until he gets it. He has to understand everything before he is effective. And when he does he is a dynamic QB."

So what did we do? We gave him a new O. Coordinator and new system every single year.

IMO he may never be great but I also don't think he will be as bad as what people believe either. I believe he can be more than functional. He can even be good. He was last year at times. There is no way with 2 years in the same system and with a better O Line and Crabtree in his 2nd year he is worse. It's not possible.

... and THIS

This whole thread is nothing more than masturbatory material for the haters... have fun.

Originally posted by WildBill:
What about the 13 times he hit Vernon Davis in stride, all TDs no less, last year?

they were not all in stride, in stride means not stopping or slowing down, some of the patterns like a hitch or curl doesn't require the receiver to be hit in stride. In stride is like the one he misread this preseason to VD that would have been a touchdown.

You got me. Most were in stride.
Originally posted by kem99:
Here's your poster boy:

Didn't they get a 1st rounder for Brees?

Drew Brees had top 5 stats his last year in SD.

64.6%
3,576yds
24 TD
15 INT
89.2 rating

surprisingly, he got these stats while being sacked 27 times.

And the year prior to that in SD, he had a 104 rating. Drew Brees' numbers dominated Alex Smith's at any point because Alex Smith will never be Drew Brees.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:59 PM ]

Yeah but how many did he miss. that is why people people are futless with him.

Yeah but how many did he miss. that is why people people are futless with him.

Exactly! Top QBs don't miss as many as Alex missed with VD.

how can anyone with that face know anything about football

come on
Share 49ersWebzone