There are 166 users in the forums

SHOULD we trade for Revis Island?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erDan:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Post count limit should be in place before creating threads....

Trading for Revis would mean we would probably give up a couple of firsts or a player and a first or a player and a first and another pick. On top of that he wants 162 million over 10 years. That means we probably can't resign many of our 14 free agents next year and our big named ones the previous year. Franklin, Lawson, Smith, Goldson, Davis, Baas, Wragge, Spikes, etc and the year after Gore, Lee, Nedney, etc.

Think of how many of those guys we could have with 162 million. /thread

I completely agree that things would change and yes change is hard...but in order to grow hard decisions must be made. Naturally when ever you sign someone that means there is less for everyone else, even if the signing is for a small amount. However all the players you named we dont necessarily HAVE TO SIGN in the first place( even if they dont want much)bass, Wragge, spikes(13th year) and maybe lawson. We could keep the neccesary guys( Davis, Goldson and maybe Smith) and still sign Revis and not be in Salary cap hell( were currently under the cap). Lets use that money and change the face of our franchise, immediatley making us superbowl contenders.

Not sure I am willing to risk that much money and picks on one player. We have so many pieces in place and after 7 years of misery (ok, we had a few good times)are ready for a playoff run and eventually a super bowl run for many years to come. Say we are one or two pieces away from finishing the puzzle... we trade one piece for 3, 4, 5, 6 other pieces... I just don't see the logic.

I got no problem with you guys wanting Revis but my problem is do you think he is worth 2, 3 draft picks and losing a bunch of our starters/stars?
  • mod
  • Veteran
this niggaaa

Trading for Revis would mean we would probably give up a couple of firsts or a player and a first or a player and a first and another pick. On top of that he wants 162 million over 10 years. That means we probably can't resign many of our 14 free agents next year and our big named ones the previous year. Franklin, Lawson, Smith, Goldson, Davis, Baas, Wragge, Spikes, etc and the year after Gore, Lee, Nedney, etc.

I completely agree that things would change and yes change is hard...but in order to grow hard decisions must be made. Naturally when ever you sign someone that means there is less for everyone else, even if the signing is for a small amount. However all the players you named we dont necessarily HAVE TO SIGN in the first place( even if they dont want much)bass, Wragge, spikes(13th year) and maybe lawson. We could keep the neccesary guys( Davis, Goldson and maybe Smith) and still sign Revis and not be in Salary cap hell( were currently under the cap). Lets use that money and change the face of our franchise, immediatley making us superbowl contenders.

Not sure I am willing to risk that much money and picks on one player. We have so many pieces in place and after 7 years of misery (ok, we had a few good times)are ready for a playoff run and eventually a super bowl run for many years to come. Say we are one or two pieces away from finishing the puzzle... we trade one piece for 3, 4, 5, 6 other pieces... I just don't see the logic.

I got no problem with you guys wanting Revis but my problem is do you think he is worth 2, 3 draft picks and losing a bunch of our starters/stars?

No risk No reward!

W have many pieces in place but without a solid pass d we will be nothing more than a one and done playoff team. I understand the hesitancy to cash out for one guy BUT this one guy could make us superbowl contenders overnight. Besides what would you rather have Balmer,Kwame, Woods( all first round picks in the last 7 years and all HUGE BUSTS) or Revis ( the arguably best defensive player in football) and our only huge need.

No risk No reward!

W have many pieces in place but without a solid pass d we will be nothing more than a one and done playoff team. I understand the hesitancy to cash out for one guy BUT this one guy could make us superbowl contenders overnight. Besides what would you rather have Balmer,Kwame, Woods( all first round picks in the last 7 years and all HUGE BUSTS) or Revis ( the arguably best defensive player in football) and our only huge need.

Forget about Justin Smith and Clements (who didn't cost us any picks)... we just aren't that type of organization. This is something the Redskins do... we are like the Steelers. We build through the draft, resign our players (who know the system well) and sign the occasional free agent. I'm blanking here... I can't remember the last time we traded for a player besides Ginn and that's for a 5th and not much cash.

So say we trade for Revis and get a shot at the super bowl. Do you think we can make it back next year without signing some of these guys (smith, franklin, goldson, lawson, davis, baas, etc) and what happens the year after when we might not have the money to resign Gore, Nedney, Lee etc. I'm not saying giving Revis all that money means we can't have any of those players but it will definitely affect it. Think of how man guys we could sign for 162 million...
Originally posted by WestCoast:
okay who honestly read his whole post?

lol definitely not me!

And your lesser for it...

negative
[ Edited by WestCoast on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:55 AM ]

No risk No reward!

Forget about Justin Smith and Clements (who didn't cost us any picks)... we just aren't that type of organization. This is something the Redskins do... we are like the Steelers. We build through the draft, resign our players (who know the system well) and sign the occasional free agent. I'm blanking here... I can't remember the last time we traded for a player besides Ginn and that's for a 5th and not much cash.

So say we trade for Revis and get a shot at the super bowl. Do you think we can make it back next year without signing some of these guys (smith, franklin, goldson, lawson, davis, baas, etc) and what happens the year after when we might not have the money to resign Gore, Nedney, Lee etc. I'm not saying giving Revis all that money means we can't have any of those players but it will definitely affect it. Think of how man guys we could sign for 162 million...

What you say makes alot of sense and dont think that I havent thought of everything your saying. What we have to ask ourselves is were do we place the most value? For instance, were a team that doesnt trade but builds through the draft and resigns players who do good. I completley agree with this aproach as a general rule and it has served us well but unfortunetly we also laid a dud. Had Clements been what we envisioned him to be then great, but he didint and now all the pieces are in place and hes a liablilty. So back to value, do you value sticking to your guns and continuing on this years path. Do you hope that by retaining as many starters as possible and getting lucky in next years draft we get better? OR do we act brazzenly and shoot for the Super Bowl this year. Just one super bowl win is better than five future seasons with ten wins or more.

No risk No reward!

What you say makes alot of sense and dont think that I havent thought of everything your saying. What we have to ask ourselves is were do we place the most value? For instance, were a team that doesnt trade but builds through the draft and resigns players who do good. I completley agree with this aproach as a general rule and it has served us well but unfortunetly we also laid a dud. Had Clements been what we envisioned him to be then great, but he didint and now all the pieces are in place and hes a liablilty. So back to value, do you value sticking to your guns and continuing on this years path. Do you hope that by retaining as many starters as possible and getting lucky in next years draft we get better? OR do we act brazzenly and shoot for the Super Bowl this year. Just one super bowl win is better than five future seasons with ten wins or more.

Even worse is say we trade away a lot of talent for one player. we might even get worse, we lose money and imagine if he got injured? f**k up the whole franchise
Maybe we should asks Ted Ginn jr since he was able to gett off of revis island.... Plus we already have the best defensive player in the game p.willy.
The 49ers aren't ready to shell out 20 million per season for him, we need to save our cash and re-sign Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis before we go making any trades for high priced talent

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
The 49ers aren't ready to shell out 20 million per season for him, we need to save our cash and re-sign Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis before we go making any trades for high priced talent

We got Willis. But Vernon, dashon, possibly smith, and gore next year. I don't think a. Franklin is a priority.
I would love Revis.

But we don't have the money this fool wants.
Originally posted by Aacadena:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

We got Willis. But Vernon, dashon, possibly smith, and gore next year. I don't think a. Franklin is a priority.

Franklin would be pricey, but we could always draft a NT with a 2nd or 3rd round pick, Smith and Gore could cost us some serious change too, and with all of our free agents we aren't in any position to bring in any high profile talent that will cost us a shot at re-signing our own guys, but I agree Revis would improve our secondary in a big way...aint nothing wrong with dreaming about Revis Island coming to the 49ers
Lets unite the Davis brothers instead!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone