LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

ENTIRE 1ST HALF PLAY BY PLAY ANALYSIS + PLAYER/TEAM ANALYSIS

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nice!

Everybody has been dogging on Haralson this year except the coarching staff. I wonder what they see that we can't?
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
what we have ourselves a new MadDog

LOL, I can't even hold MadDog's and AB's jock strap.

And Kilgore.... I don't think I would count Haralson out. For the most part his job is to keep the runs inside. He does a good job of that but occasionally a faster RB will beat him to the outside. And yes we will have to live with the coverage but we take the good with the bad. If he can get 5 sacks I could probably live with him. Otherwise if he struggles I'd be all for him and LaBoy splitting time. LaBoy starts by coming in on 3rd downs see how it works and go from there. Don't think Briggs is ready to be splitting time yet but by next year he could possibly be a starter.

Thats the nicest thing anyone has ever said buddy, thank you. I appreciate it, that makes my day. Knowing i am well respected and am doing good with my knowledge and cap figures
oh and a great job buddy, good read, couldnt finish it all, but i skimmed it and it looks good.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Nice!

Everybody has been dogging on Haralson this year except the coarching staff. I wonder what they see that we can't?

Sometimes we give the coaching staff too much credit. Manusky always talked highly of Haralson, but Manny not so much. What made them hold on to Roman two seasons longer than they should have? Why insist that M.Rob is worthy of carrying the football? Why get rid of our Punt returner last year (what was his name again) when we didn't even have a solid back up? That cost us at least one game and a starting corner. Point is, they know football, but they also make human errors.

For the record, Davis should be the 2nd string QB. He is clearly better than Carr. I just think Sing is afraid of Nates improve style of football. Its that simple.
Nice read, thanks.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Nice!

Sometimes we give the coaching staff too much credit. Manusky always talked highly of Haralson, but Manny not so much. What made them hold on to Roman two seasons longer than they should have? Why insist that M.Rob is worthy of carrying the football? Why get rid of our Punt returner last year (what was his name again) when we didn't even have a solid back up? That cost us at least one game and a starting corner. Point is, they know football, but they also make human errors.

For the record, Davis should be the 2nd string QB. He is clearly better than Carr. I just think Sing is afraid of Nates improve style of football. Its that simple.

I don't think Sing is afraid of anything. He just believes that preparation is the key to consistency and success, and that Nate has not prepared himself well enough to be consistent or successful.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
The play-by-play is appreciated, now I can point out certain things.

1-10-SF 40 (8:07) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short right to 19-T.Ginn.
smith throws to ginn jr but caught out of bounceā€¦ davis kind of gets beat and recovers and pushes guy pastb smith who does a nice job of stepping up in pocket...rachal and baas block one guy, iupati does a good job as does sims

Here is where I have a problem with Smith. He did not simply step up in the pocket on this play. Instead, he stepped forward (so far so good) and then he started sprinting to the right for no reason at all. As he starts to sprint, he can see that Ginn is wide open racing towards the sideline, but Smith is in no position to throw the ball because he started sprinting. So, now he has to slow down, reset his feet and throw. All of that running took about 1.5 - 2 seconds, and by the time he released the ball, it was too late, Ginn was already heading out of bounds.

If instead, he stepped up on the pocket, set his feet and scanned the field, he would have found Ginn open in time to release the football. All the sprinting around caused him to lose time, and time is at a premium in the NFL.

When people say Smith "stepped up" in the pocket, frankly, what they mean is he RAN up in the pocket. I can't understand why he can't simply take one or two STEPS up in the pocket, instead of running forwards or sprinting sideways.

If you watched Bradford against the Patriots, this is exactly what he does. He steps forward in the pocket, while scanning the field and getting rid of the ball just as the defense gets to him. He doesn't lose precious time and energy running forward or sideways.

Smith could be an All-Pro if he could just adjust this one quirky habbit.

Excellent point there... I don't recall him running unnecessarily in the pocket much this off season but I do recall one play where he started to run and didn't need to. That could have been it. A couple of times he was doing a jump throw as well... he seems to be better in the pocket but he's not quite there. You guys remember his rookie days... he didn't stick in the pocket ever... he just rolled out and mainly threw the ball out of bounce. He is staying in the pocket better but I agree he can't be running if it is unnecessarily. That being said from I seen he is decent at throwing on the run. I could be wrong but anyways you are right he has to be a bit more patient. Step up and plant... not step up and start running... although I will take that over him just sitting back there and getting sacked
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
oh and a great job buddy, good read, couldnt finish it all, but i skimmed it and it looks good.

No problem, thank you for all the work you do for this board. There are a handful of posters that when you look at their post you while they might not always be right they try to back it up with evidence and put thought and time into their post. You are definitely one of them. Doubt I'm the only one that sees something you wrote and says, if AB says it it's probably true... I can trust him.

P.S. A lot of people do the draft but their aren't too many people out there that can do salary cap. Most of us wouldn't know where to begin. Maybe you should call the head quarters and see if Paraag needs an assistant. Then you can give us the inside details on who we are signing and all that other juicy stuff. A lot of those guys probably don't get the credit they deserve... I can't imagine how complex these sports contracts can be.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Nice!

Good points there but we don't get to see the day to day stuff. As much time as we spend following this team we don't get to see how players are in team meetings, workout sessions, closed practices, team functions, etc. For all we know a player falls asleep or is late to meetings and it doesn't get out. Maybe one player is better than another but doesn't practice or study as hard. That being said I agree though some times we don't understand them and they could be wrong but they have a plan. There is probably a reason for everything they do but we don't get it some times.

On that note I just don't see Robinson getting cut. He's a special teams leader and a locker room guy. You guys see him out there... how many times has he told someone to stay put in the end zone because if you don't we probably don't get to the 20? He pats those guys on the helmet every time... they obviously respect him enough to let him make that call (coaches and players)... be the main blocker on special teams...all that stuff.
Nice!

I'm not dogging him... like I mentioned most defenses would love to have him, Lewis and Soap. I'm just saying if we want to become elite those are the three weakest spots. I'm just pointing out his weaknesses and strengths. None of those guys are bad players. From the Erickson days so many of us got use to having bad players and weak spots every wear. We are 10 times better all around then those teams. Over our process of building we slowly weeded out the bad players and have brought more and more talent in. Now that we are good all around it's time to take the next step; we have to keep getting better talent and reloading. We have to be ready in case someone leaves in free agency. We can't be reliant on our draft picks being super stars.

Think about the Rams... they have lost so much talent over the past few season. They are counting on draft picks to be super stars to have a shot at being competitive. We are the level above where we have most of the pieces in place. Now we just have to fill in the missing pieces or find them for when the pieces we do have leave or retire. Look at how the Patriots keep stockpiling draft picks... they where such a veteran team in those super bowl years and most retired so they have been slowly reloading for the future. I'd rather reload then just let things fall apart and have to start from scratch again. Think about if we let Willis, Gore, Goldson, Franklin, Lawson etc walk or traded them away. Kind of like in 03 when we let all those super stars go because we couldn't afford them and then had nobody to replace them. Bottom line... I'd rather reload then rebuild again... we have the pieces... let's add to them so we can make a playoff super bowl run for many years to come.

One last thing... going to add a few more things after I went and watched the second half. I didn't break it down but here is what I remember.

Alex Boone looked good again.... as did the rest of that 2nd/3rd string line. I'd like to get Brian Da La Puenta on the PS but I don't think he is eligible anymore. Wragge is doing well at whatever spot they put him at (LG,C,RG). Cody Wallace got some work at C but too little too late. Da La Puenta and Wragge got work in previous games at center so he's like 5th on the center chart and he doesn't play anything else. Snyder has been doing decent as well but I guess he isn't against starters any more. I think he works better at RG than RT.

Another thing and I don't know if we have done this in the past is we where switching Haralson and Lawson from LDE to RDE on the same possessions. One play I seen Lawson at the bottom of the screen and a few later he was at the top of the screen. I seen it a few times and went back to check and make sure I didn't have my numbers wrong. Did anybody else see this? LaBoy also switched a few times as well. (If anyone has the tape it's around the 11 minute in 3rd quarter. I think the few plays around that.)

Similar note: Haralson had a false start to go with Lawson's one earlier... as did Sims. Carr was burning timeouts as bad as Alex so I assume Alex could have been telling the truth when he said the play clock was moving fast and the head sets where going out. Dixon carried the ball well in the 3rd and 4th quarter... kept a few drives alive. His pass blocking has definitely gotten better. Navorro Bowman looked good again as well. He is fast, he can get pressure on the QB, he can stop runners in the flats, tackle in the open field on screens... he looks great so far. Call me crazy but if he is taking over for Spikes he could probably bulk up a bit. Not sure if we ask him to do that and risk speed but I would say his only problem right now is going to be taking on blockers. Also when blitzing (he has done it a lot), many times he kind of got swallowed up by the lineman. I could be just imagining things but he doesn't look 242 pounds... Spikes weights 245 and looks much bigger.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/common/medialib/223/181620.jpg

Clements got beat on one play but did a nice job of breaking up a pass to Zach Miller. You take the good with the bad with Clements... I can think of a heck of a lot worse than him. Lewis gave up a TD to Miller... he had decent coverage and had his arm in there and tried to rip it out but couldn't. Hopefully this doesn't happen often if at all in the regular season. TE's and WR's getting first downs on 3rd down against Lewis was a common thing last year.

Ending on a positive note I loved the team comradery this pre season. Like after the Byham 2 point conversion... guys like Joe John Finley who won't make the roster have with their hands up celebrating, hugging, patting each other on the helmet, like brothers out there. I seen a lot of that this pre season... really glad these guys are getting close. Bottom line is these guys need to know we are all one team. You do what it takes to win.... the team comes first, you do your job, you own your role and do what is asked of you. At the end of the Vikings game as well... after Walker got the sack and safety all the d-lineman made the safety gesture and Walker/Mitchell hugged and the other guys where hugging. Not to sound sappy but like I said I'm glad this team gets it.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

No problem, thank you for all the work you do for this board. There are a handful of posters that when you look at their post you while they might not always be right they try to back it up with evidence and put thought and time into their post. You are definitely one of them. Doubt I'm the only one that sees something you wrote and says, if AB says it it's probably true... I can trust him.

P.S. A lot of people do the draft but their aren't too many people out there that can do salary cap. Most of us wouldn't know where to begin. Maybe you should call the head quarters and see if Paraag needs an assistant. Then you can give us the inside details on who we are signing and all that other juicy stuff. A lot of those guys probably don't get the credit they deserve... I can't imagine how complex these sports contracts can be.

just doing my best to make sure i keep everyone up to date on this type of information.
Brian Jennings awed with his divine powers
Share 49ersWebzone