LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

JimmyRae, my man

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well JR, or JimmyRae, Bubba, bigJim...or whatever handle you prefer, you realize you have made 9er history by staying around another yr. YOur call on 3rd and 4 with 4 wideouts split from one sideline to the other was an AD gimme the moment the 9ers came to the LOS... and any 9er fan watching could see it. So here is the question: Do you really think Peyton would be as great as he is if Tony Dungy or jim Caldwell had him get the play call with 3-5 seconds left before the play clock expired? Hell no. If the Colts did that to Peyton he would either leave or demand to be traded. Is he one of the best ever to play? Heck yeah. But does he have a huge advantage over all other qBs, save a few like tom brady? Absolutely. So here's a really , really difficult thing for you to try: get the dang plays in with 20 seconds to go on the play clock.

Oh, you can't think that fast? Well, maybe most of the rest of us can't either. You think Bill Walsh was just brilliant and could out think everyone else on the football field? Well , maybe, but one thing he darn well did and that is script 25 plays for every game. That way JOe could get the play early , look over the D set, and then call the play...or check off if the D set was bad for the play called. You watch manning, and he has all day to scan the D, reset plays when he has to , and that has helped make him become one of the GOATs at QB. You really think that you , bigMike and alex, couldn't all sit down on Mon and game plan for the first 25...or 35 plays? And then, if one really worked well against one D set, use it again, out of order, if need be.

But for heaven's sakes, don't send alex or carr up to the LOS with 2 seconds to go and force them to run a play, which if they had had time to look at D, they could have called a better play. It is inexcusably awful...wretched...unforgivable ....crappy...and for the qBs, demoralizing to have to scramble to get to the LOS in order to just get a play off. That is the sign of a very poorly coached team, starting at the HC(that means you, bigmike), and including the OC. Maybe you or bigmike aren't quick thinkers, maybe you are. But whether you can't make up your mind or you really don't know what play to call, having 25 or 35 scripted plays that the entire team knows are coming , and in which order, seems like a huge improvement on the scandalous job of timely playcalling you guys are doing now.

To have both timeouts called in the first half and then again in the 2nd, because you couldn't get the play in on time is just unforgivable. Imagine how much better alex would be if he actually got to the LOS like Brady, Peyton, Brees, all do, and having the huge advantage of actually being able to change a play if the D set is sure to stop the play called. Timeouts are not intended for slow thinkiing or slow acting coaches to barely get the play in just barely beating the clock. TOs are for other more important issues, most of which we can't do because our qBs routinely get the plays at the last moment, and frequently have to call TO beat the clock.

This is not a QB issue, this is a coaching issue. And it is readily solvable, if you just have a meeting of the QB and coaching minds early in the week, script your plays, and then run them rapidly . So, JR, my man, glad to have the same guy here again, but man oh man, do you ever need to work on getting plays in a lot quicker. Really, when you look at it, the ONLY way to consistently do this is to script plays. I always used to think that was funky when Coach Walsh did it. Yrs later, i now understand full well why he did it. Maybe you should give it a try? What, you think it will make play calling worse?? I guess that's possible, but highly unlikely.

What i do know for sure tho, is that it will end , once and for ever, getting plays to Alex just moments before the play clock expires. One thing you will notice, almost within the first week....the O will go out there with much more purpose and confidence, and in short order you will see a much smoother, well oiled machine. Jimmy Rae, it will also make you look like a helluva lot smarter coach. And , who knows, maybe it will even help keep you around as OC for a lot longer, too.
I'm eating a peanut butter and banana sandwich.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
I guess you missed all of the reports that said the play-clock was started early in the first half.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by BSacamano:

They need to let Alex Smith run the offense. I'm sure most of us recall what Alex did with less than two minutes in Indy last year when the headset went out. He marched down the field in seven plays for one of two offensive TDs on the day (the other was a long Gore run at the beginning of the game.) And to think, that was Alex's first start of the season.

Raye can be the architect, but it is clear we need a more competent play-caller. My money is on Smith being able to handle that role, and flourish.
i think you need a hobby
Kilgore, I suggested that last yr and got laughed off the board. But i do agree with you. Even more, i firmly believe we can do nothing but get a lot better offensively if the plays are scripted 6 days before gametime. can you imagine alex coming up to the LOS and the 9ers run a no huddle O ? That would drop some jaws.

As for otter, do you really think the fact the play clock wasn't working didn't matter and if it took too long to run a play, tough tiddy, 5 yd penalty for delay of game....game clock working or not. That may come as a big surprise to you, but it happens to be the way things work.
Originally posted by Otter:
I guess you missed all of the reports that said the play-clock was started early in the first half.

is that true???

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by BSacamano:

In another thread there is quite a bit of sentiment against JimmyRae. Some surely is justitified(too predictable, but a good part of that is on bigmike's announcement we are gonna run the ball....which other teams read, and stopped our running game cold) hopefully no more helpful hints from bigmike. Others have their own disparaging remarks re JR, but still, he is our first OC to be here more than 1 yr since mooch left, and that is a franchise embarrassment.

Playcalling aside, the ONE thing JR could do to improve, is to get the dang plays in on time. Either he or MS don't think very fast or they can't make up their minds. It appears they are over micromanaging our O. If they would simply pull out the old GOAT Bill Walsh playbook of scripting the first 25-30 plays, they would find that the O would not have to call 2 timeouts / half, which is just an embarrassing waste of TOs, and it makes our O look disorganized, when in fact, it is either JR or MS or both who are disorganized. There is a lot to be said for a meeting of HC, OC and QB on Mon, to get a consensus on plays to be called against the upcoming D and in what order. Plays can always be changed at last minute, but jeez, having the O call 2 TOs / half really makes our coaching staff look impotent...disorganized...disjointed, and to be honest, really half azzed.

Script those suckers, have alex with the list on his forearm, and gadzooks, can you imagine the surprise on our opponents face when we run a no huddle O in the middle of the field? There is only upside here, no downside, and the fact coach walsh used it doesn't do anything but make it more desirable to use. This incredible dilly dallying around after a play is over, alex waiting for the play from the sidelines, and then having to rush the team up to LOS is for losers. We look like we have no idea what we are doing, and maybe that is exactly the case. If HC and OC would scheme ahead of time with alex, we can do nothing but improve. It also would give them some time to think about what plays to call in which situations which could be substituted at will. Also it will give alex the same chance that Brees, peyton, and Brady all have when they come up to LOS and get a chance to look over D, and change play if D set is wrong for play called. Our play calling could be improved mightily if this one simple and positive feature were changed.

Problem might be tho, that MS is such a control freak that he wouldn't even try it...which is the way a man with no serious self confidence would react. I would be truly disappointed if that were the case, because has made many other good judgements that worked out fine. We'll see if this actually comes to pass.
typing MACHINE
maybe he takes a 20 second nap to give enough energy to call the next play
I thought it was spelt Jimmy Raye?
Share 49ersWebzone