LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 247 users in the forums

Serious reservations about the playcalling

Shop Find 49ers gear online
how many more times does he need to roll alex to his right to see that play does not work out, its been 5 years and he hasnt completed one of those plays. rediculous.
plus, you would think he would stop calling the run up the middle when it didnt work the first 15 times
Hmm, the play calling seemed just fine in the first few drives.

For some reason, when Alex began to miss targets, the play calling sucked?

This loss is on Alex more than anything.
  • dman
  • Veteran
My only issue is not attacking the end zone when we get inside the oppenent's 20.

I notice other teams throw into the end zone a lot more than we do, its the smart thing to do because the defense is still spread out and not compacted which happens when you dink and dunk until you are inside the 10.
How about the 2nd (and 3rd) and long, draw play? Seen it multiple times yesterday. I honestly think that only works if the pass game is respectable, otherwise it's a complete waste of a down, and fools no one.
Originally posted by dman:
My only issue is not attacking the end zone when we get inside the oppenent's 20.

I notice other teams throw into the end zone a lot more than we do, its the smart thing to do because the defense is still spread out and not compacted which happens when you dink and dunk until you are inside the 10.

They're too concerned with trying to protect the football and limit turnovers.
in this blog from Lynch he says a number of ways they have disgussed to fix the problem relaying the plays. here it is:

What Singletary and quarterback Alex Smith did talk about (to the media) was how to rectify the continuing problems with play transmission that bedeviled the team in the red zone during Sunday's 31-6 loss to the Seahawks.

Here are some of the solutions:

+Take offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye out of the booth and put him on the sidelines where he can transmit the play directly in to the Smith's helmet. Plays must come in from the sidelines and not the booth, so Raye relays the call to quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson who then sends it to Smith. Should Raye take to the sidelines, the middle man is eliminated.

+Put the numbered plays on a wrist band and instead of communicating a long play such as "X call, hustle 2, I right slot, two man counter easy," three times, Raye simply calls out a number that Smith cross checks on his wrist band with the play that's being called. So then Smith is the only one communicating the entire play, which saves time and confusion.

+Make a set time when Smith eschews the call coming in and simply calls his own play. "We've talked about that," Smith said. For example, if Smith doesn't get the play with 24 seconds left on the clock, he then calls the play himself.

+Putting the play-calling, at times, completely into Smith's hands. That's not something Smith would like to do all the time. "I have to do a lot already," he said. "That's why we have an offensive coordinator."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=72189#ixzz0zRrNJiyr

they ought to just do all of it..lol. i like the number thing if they keep Raye in the booth and maybe just to simplify if he is on the sideline also. and also agree that if the clock gets to low smith should move on and call it himself. But I agree with Smith that Raye is the offensive coordinator for a reason. he is the one that is supposed to be thinking about scheme, momentum and situations. Smith could better concentrate on audibles, protection calls and getting everybody in the right place if the calls were in on time by the person that is supposed to be doing it.

[ Edited by brucesf49 on Sep 13, 2010 at 14:56:02 ]
I think it when like this on Sunday:

Raye: ZZZZZZzzzz, oh what call 21 b gap blast....

Mike Johnson: What not again....Coach Sing Granpa munster called 21 b gap blast.. again..

Sing: Amazing! I was just thinking the same thing!, RUN IT!

Mike Johnson: Alex the pay is 21 b gap blast run it

Alex: But that play never works how about we call spread formation pass..

Mike Johnson: Raye Alex wants spread pass,

Raye Spread 21 b gap draw, hows that..

Referee: Delay of Game San Fransisco 5 yards repeat 3rd down

Sing:Okay huddle up we need a good call hear Raye what you got man?

Mike Johnson: What not again....Coach Sing Granpa munster called 21 b gap blast.. again..

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

First laugh I have had in the last 24 hours.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

• Mex49

• dj43
Originally posted by brucesf49:
in this blog from Lynch he says a number of ways they have disgussed to fix the problem relaying the plays. here it is:

What Singletary and quarterback Alex Smith did talk about (to the media) was how to rectify the continuing problems with play transmission that bedeviled the team in the red zone during Sunday's 31-6 loss to the Seahawks.

Here are some of the solutions:

+Take offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye out of the booth and put him on the sidelines where he can transmit the play directly in to the Smith's helmet. Plays must come in from the sidelines and not the booth, so Raye relays the call to quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson who then sends it to Smith. Should Raye take to the sidelines, the middle man is eliminated.

+Put the numbered plays on a wrist band and instead of communicating a long play such as "X call, hustle 2, I right slot, two man counter easy," three times, Raye simply calls out a number that Smith cross checks on his wrist band with the play that's being called. So then Smith is the only one communicating the entire play, which saves time and confusion.

+Make a set time when Smith eschews the call coming in and simply calls his own play. "We've talked about that," Smith said. For example, if Smith doesn't get the play with 24 seconds left on the clock, he then calls the play himself.

+Putting the play-calling, at times, completely into Smith's hands. That's not something Smith would like to do all the time. "I have to do a lot already," he said. "That's why we have an offensive coordinator."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=72189#ixzz0zRrNJiyr

they ought to just do all of it..lol. i like the number thing if they keep Raye in the booth and maybe just to simplify if he is on the sideline also. and also agree that if the clock gets to low smith should move on and call it himself. But I agree with Smith that Raye is the offensive coordinator for a reason. he is the one that is supposed to be thinking about scheme, momentum and situations. Smith could better concentrate on audibles, protection calls and getting everybody in the right place if the calls were in on time by the person that is supposed to be doing it.
Watching the Chiefs/Chargers tonight, BOTH teams were normally at the LOS with 10-12 seconds remaining on the play clock. If they can do it, why can't the 49ers?

THIS IS THE SECOND YEAR WITH THE SAME ISSUE.
Share 49ersWebzone