LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Serious reservations about the playcalling

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kray28:
Was it the paint chips that required you to edit that post?

Tell me what you want to see from our play calling.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Read my opening posts....I was very clear.

I want play calls that don't result in 3rd and long. Which means passing on 1st and 2nd down is sometimes a good idea.

I would like a playcalls that don't just opt for the most obvious and easily anticipated call. I would like the Niners to break tendencies once in a while.

I want Alex to be able to audible out of Raye's playcalls.

I want Raye to figure out how to get Alex the plays on fscking time so we can stop having to burn 2 timeouts a game.

I would like some of the plays to be scripted. And I would like someone to use the results of those plays to read the defense.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran

I want play calls that don't result in 3rd and long. Which means passing on 1st and 2nd down is sometimes a good idea.

I would like a playcalls that don't just opt for the most obvious and easily anticipated call. I would like the Niners to break tendencies once in a while.

I want Raye to figure out how to get Alex the plays on fscking time so we can stop having to burn 2 timeouts a game.

I would like some of the plays to be scripted. And I would like someone to use the results of those plays to read the defense.

So basically you just want to see our offense run by an actual NFL caliber offensive coordinator. You'd think that wouldn't be too much to ask, right? wrong... sorry Kray, you'll never see any of those things with Raye. Not only can he NOT outsmart anybody, he doesn't even want to try. He's the only thing holding us back this season. And lets never overlook the idiot who hired the idiot.
[ Edited by A-R-S on Aug 30, 2010 at 8:23 PM ]
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
oops
[ Edited by A-R-S on Aug 30, 2010 at 8:23 PM ]

If you look back at the timeouts called during the game it was a lot of confusion by the young players. I would agree we have to mix it up. I believe we will. Last year we had to keep it vanilla. We had a new QB late in the season who is notorious for having a slow learning curve. Raye has molded our playbook quickly around our young offense. Crabtree came in late as well. He had no choice but to stay vanilla. Mad Martz forced a play book that wasn’t effective with our personal and it failed miserably.
He has had a solid year to evaluate talent. In week one and two we will find out how truly vanilla it is. Until then, why are we discussing his play calling in preseason.
That deep pass from Nate Davis to Ted Ginn from the goal line didn’t look that vanilla to me.
[ Edited by TheVoiceOfReason on Aug 30, 2010 at 8:30 PM ]
Too early to judge. I am concerned that the plays are taking too long to get to the QB. Something is too slow on the uptake.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Too early to judge. I am concerned that the plays are taking too long to get to the QB. Something is too slow on the uptake.

Yeah that worries me too. Alex said something about the headset messing up and he pointed at it several times in the last couple games. IDK. Alex never really called his own plays in high school or college or much in the pros for that matter except in the Texans game last year. Hopefully that ownership drill pays off, but I hate using the word hopefully in the same sentence when I'm talking about the 49ers.
I will be concerned if there is no change by the third game of the season. Then we will know what kinds of games Raye is calling then.

We are seeing Raye's most vanilla play calling, not so much to win the game but to put the team in a situation to see how they react. Raye will keep refining the process until he has the plays that he thinks will be most effective for the Niners.

We are winning games in preseason because we are playing at a higher level than our opponents. Sing likes to win every time he plays. Clubs like Indiannapolis is playing to give their 1st string players some live action. They do not care about winning preseason games. They know what they have in Manning.

Seattle is the first game that counts.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by TheVoiceOfReason:

How about no more Morran Norris please. He had 14 touches last year for 2.9 yrd avg and 7 catches for a powerful 2.2 yrd avg. How many times do we need to watch him not get the 1 god damn yard we need.

He has absolutely no business touching the ball ever
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I will be concerned if there is no change by the third game of the season. Then we will know what kinds of games Raye is calling then.

We are seeing Raye's most vanilla play calling, not so much to win the game but to put the team in a situation to see how they react. Raye will keep refining the process until he has the plays that he thinks will be most effective for the Niners.

We are winning games in preseason because we are playing at a higher level than our opponents. Sing likes to win every time he plays. Clubs like Indiannapolis is playing to give their 1st string players some live action. They do not care about winning preseason games. They know what they have in Manning.

Seattle is the first game that counts.

Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by TheVoiceOfReason:

How about no more Morran Norris please. He had 14 touches last year for 2.9 yrd avg and 7 catches for a powerful 2.2 yrd avg. How many times do we need to watch him not get the 1 god damn yard we need.

He has absolutely no business touching the ball ever

Yeah I'm going to have to agree with you on that. He has zero ball carrying vision at all. On one of his run plays he lowered his shoulder and nobody was around him. Even when we get lucky and fool the defense it doesn't take them long to adjust and stop him from making any real impact in the game.
[ Edited by TheVoiceOfReason on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:41 PM ]
I'd have to be truly worried about the playcalling if we:

A) CONTINUE to run terrible draws/screens on 3rd and long. This tells me that Raye is still not confident in Alex Smith's ability to get the ball down the field. That is my biggest concern. If Raye doesn't trust Smith.. I just don't know how that's going to work.
B) We line up in obvious run formations over and over in the same game. This is just a terrible game plan and must run and pass out of formations to be successful. If Raye isn't mixing it up, we're going to lose due to predictability.
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:41 PM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
So were my fears warranted, or what?

Looks like they've learned nothing.

• dj43

Raye has had 25 games (league and PS) to resolve those issues, and they still exist. What does that tell us?
Singletary also metioned that they may pull Jimmy Raye out of the booth upstairs and have him on the sidelines during the game if it means relaying the plays in faster.

mattbarrows: QB Alex Smith said a wristband with the team's list of plays is another option for accelerating the play calls in the future...
Share 49ersWebzone