LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Serious reservations about the playcalling

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by TheAcpHater:
Oh jeebus. In case you wet- the- bed- crowd forgot, we play this same F*cking team in the regular season, of course the play calling is vanilla, every time you meet a regular season opponent in the preseason you never show your hand.

Now I won't claim that I'm not a bit worried about Raye, I certainly am, with good reason, but to look at his play calling and judge it when he has to play the same team later on when it counts is absolutely ABSURD. More classy, well thought out posts on NT!

Except vanilla now is the same as the vanilla we'll get in mid-September.

Also how ironic is your appeal for "class" in a post filled with four letter words?

Except vanilla now is the same as the vanilla we'll get in mid-September.

Right, I'm sure you had a talk with jimmy over the weekend and he told you this is exactly how he would call the plays in the regular season, Nostradamus.

Also how ironic is your appeal for "class" in a post filled with four letter words?

Inanity doesn't deserve class.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by Youngone:
You guys are crazy if you think that the coaches will show off their full playbook to a team that we play in Week 6. Why would we give them that kind of film to study? Think about that before you assume the vanilla argument is not appropriate.

I thought the play book was like 800 pages. Doubt we could use the whole book and give up all our secrets. Stop repeating sound bites you haven't actually thought about.

We had a 2-1 a 3-1 and 4-1.

Jimmy Raye 49er Playbook:

Page 1, paragraph 1, sentence 1: Run ball up middle.

we can run up the middle fine (see Gore/Westy) when Dixon isn't dancing behind the line.
Pre season or not, last season we lead the NFL in running between the GUARDS. The Niners were LAST in the NFL running off left tackle. We were next to LAST running off right tackle. So preseason or not we are doing exactly what we did last year.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
You guys are crazy if you think that the coaches will show off their full playbook to a team that we play in Week 6. Why would we give them that kind of film to study? Think about that before you assume the vanilla argument is not appropriate.

I thought the play book was like 800 pages. Doubt we could use the whole book and give up all our secrets. Stop repeating sound bites you haven't actually thought about.

That sequence is a textbook example of what I am talking about. Only on 4th and 1, Raye actually called a play action which turned into a holding call. He should have run that play action on 2nd and 1. But then, that would have taken a slight bit of guile/cleverness of Raye's part to think up.
  • kray28
  • Veteran

Who is this 45 post dicktard?
[ Edited by kray28 on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:08 AM ]

yep, he could have done one of his famous shotgun draws on 2-1 or 3-1, isntead he stacks the line, which lets the d know its a run.. they then stack the box, and we fail everytime.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
let's unleash our REAL regular season playbook and lose a preseason game.

I couldn't give a rat's ass if we won or lost the game. I am commenting on the quality of the playcalls, especially with the starting unit out there.

This late in the preseason, with the starting unit, against a non-conference opponent, most teams aren't afraid to expose their real playbook. One of the motivations is to instill confidence in the starters, and that motivation makes successful drives a strong incentive.

The claim that the Niners weren't trying is bogus, they wouldn't be going for it on 4th down if that wasn't the case. They were seriously trying to succeed, and win. And that leads me to believe that the playcalls were earnest, Raye doing his "best" if you will.

Makes me sad. He's not fit for his job.

you mean the 4-0 preseason Detroit Lions who later went 0-16?

Yeah, they were pretty fearless, those 08' Lions.

Exposing your real playbook in the preseason is retarded and dumb

The guy who is wondering who in the hell thinks it's a good idea to show their hand to a team we play later on when it counts.

Is there a brain requirement for the Zone?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Actually, it would be the team we play in week 1. By the time week 6 came around our playbook would be exposed anyway, atleast I would hope it would.

Originally posted by rigs49:

It's a shame that there are really people out there that think it's important and should show the real playbook.
I'm more concerned about chemistry.

The offense hasn't played with Crabtree, VD, or Gore for nearly the entire preseason and training camp, and suddenly they will all be thrown in together @Seattle.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Every play that was run on Saturday is in the playbook. If the Niners don't want to be predictable, they'll run different stuff in October against the Raiders. That's something they can control.

How obvious is that?

It's not rocket science. What exactly could they be hiding from the Raiders? Trick plays? More Taser formations? Wooo, I'm sure the rest of the league is shaking their collective boots.

Nothing is being hidden, this is same crap they will run in October. Mark my words.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Raye is 60 plus years old. He's not gonna change his play calling it is what it is. to think he's gonna grow or something is crazy. i'm pretty sure he's set in his ways for better or worse.

Tell me are we starting to build another excuse for Alex to suck.
  • kray28
  • Veteran

The guy who is wondering who in the hell thinks it's a good idea to show their hand to a team we play later on when it counts.

Is there a brain requirement for the Zone?

800 page playbook....how much of it could exposed in one half of football? Really. Do you even have the foggiest idea how football works?

The same play can be disguised in countless formations....but you see little variation either in initial formation or the actual calls themselves. There is no dynamicity to the calls, no adjustment to the current down and distance, or the defensive alignments. That itself has little to do the playbook, and more to do with poor defensive reads on the part of the play caller.
Share 49ersWebzone