LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 428 users in the forums

you know its a run when....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by A-R-S:

Also, why is Moran Norris on this team?

As I recall, Mr. Gore likes running behind him. Kinda like Lincecum and Molina.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Something I thought I'd never say, but I'm with Jimmy Raye.

Anybody who knows football (or has coached) should know well that an offensive coordinator doesn't pull out the advanced/expanded playbook until the second year of the system's cohesive offensive gel. Biggest reason the first year is vanilla is due to the QB's understanding of the playbook/audibles/protection schemes of that offense.

Raye doesn't come off as an inferior individual either, I've watched/read a lot of his interviews and he seems like a very meticulous/calculated coordinator who knows a lot of about football, but his demeanor is obviously set on the run, with 2 TE-sets. -But he isn't a stranger to opening things up.

People don't understand that last year we couldn't really open the offense up because we DID NOT have a stable slot receiver, no consistent speed threat what-so-ever (nor speed options).

Good points, Snake. It's so easy to lose sight of fundamental stuff like that when there's been so little stability for such a long time.
when nate bynham motions into the fullback's position.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Well, I guess we don't run on the first play of every game, but 9 net yards in 16 games is still pretty amazing!
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Something I thought I'd never say, but I'm with Jimmy Raye.

Anybody who knows football (or has coached) should know well that an offensive coordinator doesn't pull out the advanced/expanded playbook until the second year of the system's cohesive offensive gel. Biggest reason the first year is vanilla is due to the QB's understanding of the playbook/audibles/protection schemes of that offense.

Raye doesn't come off as an inferior individual either, I've watched/read a lot of his interviews and he seems like a very meticulous/calculated coordinator who knows a lot of about football, but his demeanor is obviously set on the run, with 2 TE-sets. -But he isn't a stranger to opening things up.

People don't understand that last year we couldn't really open the offense up because we DID NOT have a stable slot receiver, no consistent speed threat what-so-ever (nor speed options).

Good points, Snake. It's so easy to lose sight of fundamental stuff like that when there's been so little stability for such a long time.

They are good points, but why not get at least a little bit creative. You mean to say in a full offseason, and a full season they couldn't learn 1 play? if so do they get paid millions a year just because they know how to put on pads correctly?

Coach them up Jimmy!
I dunno, I thought that little gadget play they ran in the second quarter with the fake handoff to Westbrook followed by the pass to Norris was rather slick (the one where Norris was up ended just shy of a first). It was a pretty underhanded call as the Raiders were keying hard on Westbrook during his debut series. That call certainly had me chuckling and calling Raye a number of affectionate but rude words.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Yeah but that's all Singletary. It's like he's saying "Hey, we're going to run on this play now see what you're gonna do about it."
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by golfing9er:
Originally posted by highwayone:
I know it's a run when .... it's the first play of the game.

JESUS! Frank Gore up the middle is the first play in every game. I wonder how accurate that really is?

Last year I swear to God that was the first play every frickin' game.

In reference to this....

Game 1 VS Zona - (12:36) 21-F.Gore right tackle to SF 24 for -2 yards (54-G.Hayes).

Game 2 VS Seahawks - 13:45) 21-F.Gore right tackle to SF 27 for 1 yard (54-W.Herring).

Game 3 VS Vikings -14:56) 13-S.Hill sacked at SF 16 for -7 yards (69-J.Allen). FUMBLES (69-J.Allen), recovered by SF-74-J.Staley at SF 16. 74-J.Staley to SF 16 for no gain (69-J.Allen).

Game 4 VS Rams -(13:52) 13-S.Hill pass short right to 88-I.Bruce to SF 39 for 5 yards (20-J.Wade). cAUGHT AT sf 33.

Game 5 VS Falcons -(13:56) 29-G.Coffee up the middle to SF 13 for no gain (95-J.Babineaux).

Game 6 VS Texans -12:45) 13-S.Hill sacked at SF 14 for -6 yards (90-M.Williams).

Game 7 VS Colts -14:55) (Run formation) 21-F.Gore up the middle to SF 35 for 6 yards (55-C.Session, 21-B.Sanders). SF-74-J.Staley was injured during the play.

Game 8 VS Titans -(12:15) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 85-V.Davis pushed ob at SF 11 for no gain (33-M.Griffin).

Game 9 VS Bears -(13:24) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete deep right to 15-M.Crabtree. San Francisco challenged the incomplete pass ruling, and the play was Upheld. (Timeout #1.)

Game 10 VS Packers -10:11) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short right to 21-F.Gore [50-A.Hawk].

Game 11 VS Jaguars -15:00) 11-A.Smith pass short left to 21-F.Gore to SF 27 for 7 yards (51-C.Ingram). Caught at SF 22.

Game 12 VS Seahawks -(13:58) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short left to 15-M.Crabtree.

Game 13 VS Zona -14:54) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short middle to 85-V.Davis (24-A.Wilson).

Game 14 VS Eagles -12:42) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 46-D.Walker to SF 36 for 7 yards (27-Q.Mikell).

Game 15 VS Detroit -6:54) 11-A.Smith sacked at SF 8 for -4 yards (97-J.Hunter)

Game 16 VS Rams -11:35) 21-F.Gore right guard to SF 23 for 2 yards (96-J.Hall).

damn good job using FACTS bro

oh and highway...u just totally got owned

I said back on page 1 that they play action out of that formation (I said once but who's counting )
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
lol

he still does that sh*t.

Lmfao

Lol this it so true. It's always Josh Morgan too! That's basically all teams watch for when they study Morgan..
It seems like we really succeed when we use the shotgun. I mean, I'm not sure why the coaches dont want to use it. Im' pretty sure out big plays on Saturday against the raiders came mostly from the shotgun.

If Raye is saying..."If it's gonna be the shotgun, then you dont need me" then screw him...we need something that fits our quarterback

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
when we're in the I formation with Moran Norrris up front. it's a run every time. we are so fricking predictable. Didn't our offensive players even say so after last season?
Originally posted by Shaj:
when we're in the I formation with Moran Norrris up front. it's a run every time. we are so fricking predictable. Didn't our offensive players even say so after last season?

We used Norris in play action against the raiders a handful of times (3-5 times)

Raye it switching it up

So essentially, you're saying that every down last year where we had an I-Formation set with Norris as the FB we ran the ball?
Originally posted by ads_2006:

We used Norris in play action against the raiders a handful of times (3-5 times)

Raye it switching it up

Didn't watch the game, but we used Norris in playaction all the time last year. It's the typicial line the FB as a receiver then motion him into the backfield.

Then again we are talking about a pure blocking fullback so I really don't care if we're not being creative with him.
Hey it can be a really good thing when that happens, ie Gore vs. Seattle last year.
Share 49ersWebzone