There are 260 users in the forums

Parys Haralson a Weak link?...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He needs to be benched, but we don't have anyone better.
I agree with the 3 to 4 week estimate before he gets replaced. Between Briggs, Brooks, and LaBoy, we have a multitude of rushers and I think Briggs might be the best setting the edge against the run.

It also means that Lawson's value increases on this team as he still has the best skill set at the OLB position.
Quote:

While Lewis has been a pro bowl level player for us and the eagles.

Originally posted by susweel:

Laboy could be the answer...
  • bret
  • Veteran
LaBoy certainly looks promising as a pass rusher, but how is he against the run. I tried to keep an eye on him while re-watching yesterday's game, and frankly, it was inconclusive.
We haven't had outside pressure from the edge since Charles Haley wore #94. Laboy puts heat on with speed and power. He surely makes the 53 man roster. Haralson has not impressed since being injured last year. Have to keep Briggs, he has potential. It feels good to have to many good players for a change.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Laboy could be the answer...

Dis right hurr!
Haralson is the weak link so far this pre season. LaBoy looks strong out there and he hasn't take many snaps so far either.

Give me LaBoy and Brooks.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Anyone at this point is better than him.
Haralson, Lewis and then Soap are the 3 weakest links on the defense. I'd say Lewis is the closest to getting replaced... then Haralson and maybe Soap by McDonald.

None of these guys are bad but if we want to be an elite defense we have to replace them. Any average/below average defense would love to have these guys. Lewis was once a pretty good player and while he has racked up the tackles he struggles in coverage. I don't even trust him on tight ends any more (3rd down especially). Haralson had 5 sacks last year in 15 games and the 5 where got in 5 games. (1, 1, 1.5, 1, .5) He was inconsistent and lacks in coverage but is decent in the run game. Isaac Sopoaga is good against the run, holds his own against defenders but has never had more than 1.5 sacks in a season. I think McDonald could get us more than that but not sure he could do as well in the other aspects. I'd like an upgrade opposite of Justin Smith either way.

Edit: My problem is I don't think Singletary is big on replacing players though. Look at last year's situation with Snyder. He rode him into the ground. He expects his players to get better and better. Just like the line last year... at some point he has to understand the lineman weren't any good. Not that they can get better... they will get better... let's just keep banging our heads into a wall. Well, luckily Singletary figured it out and drafted two OL but it was too late for last season's sake.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 30, 2010 at 5:16 AM ]

Originally posted by mayo63:

Id rather have Ahmad Brooks, La Boy, and Diyral Briggs starting over Parys..

He got beaten to the outside so many times last year, off the top of my head I could think of 2 plays, when Chris Johnson beat him to the outside on 4th down in the red zone and he took a terrible angle and failed to stop him, and vs. the Eagles when Donovan freaken McNabb outran him for a TD.

What a waste of a contract extension, that could've been Manny's..
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:

He got beaten to the outside so many times last year, off the top of my head I could think of 2 plays, when Chris Johnson beat him to the outside on 4th down in the red zone and he took a terrible angle and failed to stop him, and vs. the Eagles when Donovan freaken McNabb outran him for a TD.

Haralson plays for 3.5 M per year. Manny is going to ask for way more than that.

Amazing how these so called "experts" proclaim Haralson a stiff when they forget how well he and Manny set the edge last year against the run.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheAcpHater:

Haralson plays for 3.5 M per year. Manny is going to ask for way more than that.

Amazing how these so called "experts" proclaim Haralson a stiff when they forget how well he and Manny set the edge last year against the run.

It's nice to set the edge, but you make your money rushing the passer.

Which is why Haralson doesn't get paid like a top flight pass rusher. He is what he is. A complimentary role player. Not some scrub stiff like he's made out to be on these boards.

If Manny wants top dollar, we can tell him bye-bye. We got Brooks waiting to explode, and Haralson still having a respectable contract for fairly decent production.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Which is why Haralson doesn't get paid like a top flight pass rusher. He is what he is. A complimentary role player. Not some scrub stiff like he's made out to be on these boards.

If Manny wants top dollar, we can tell him bye-bye. We got Brooks waiting to explode, and Haralson still having a respectable contract for fairly decent production.

I agree, but we still need to not be satisfied and continue looking for a stud OLB that can do both. Their hard to find, but we will eventually get one.
Share 49ersWebzone