LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Something Worth Considering IMO

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is only a scenario deal and I dont know if it will or going to happen. I was watching the SEA vs. MIN game and I was listening to Mike Mayock say "the Vikings have something they need to make a decision on... They have four QB's on their roster (Favre, Jackson, Rosenfells, Webb) so its going to be a decision they have to make because they have 4 QB's on the roster (because if they place Joe Webb on the PS squad he will get grabbed up by another team so they may try and keep him. It could either be Jackson or Rosenfells let go depending if the team is willing to keep 4 QB's".

I dont see them hanging on to 4 QB's and I see Sage Rosenfells getting the "Thank you for coming" deal and them still trying to give Jackson another shot. From the performance Carr put up last night and has been playing very "sub-average" this preseason I think we should really consider grabbing Sage. He would be a valuable backup being that N.Davis just is not ready yet. I want Davis to be 2nd string but I dont think as of now he is 2nd string material. If something happens to Alex we are seriously screwed. I can remember Sage having some really good games having to start for the Texans when Schaub got hurt. To me its just something to consider and I know bringing him in at the end of preseason hurts but hey look at Carr.
[ Edited by NC49erfan82 on Aug 29, 2010 at 6:53 AM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
This is only a scenario deal and I dont know if it will or going to happen. I was watching the SEA vs. MIN game and I was listening to Mike Mayock say "the Vikings have something they need to make a decision on... They have four QB's on their roster (Favre, Jackson, Rosenfells, Webb) so its going to be a decision they have to make because they have 4 QB's on the roster (because if they place Joe Webb on the PS squad he will get grabbed up by another team so they may try and keep him. It could either be Jackson or Rosenfells let go depending if the team is willing to keep 4 QB's".

I dont see them hanging on to 4 QB's and I see Sage Rosenfells getting the "Thank you for coming" deal and them still trying to give Jackson another shot. From the performance Carr put up last night and has been playing very "sub-average" this preseason I think we should really consider grabbing Sage. He would be a valuable backup being that N.Davis just is not ready yet. I want Davis to be 2nd string but I dont think as of now he is 2nd string material. If something happens to Alex we are seriously screwed. I can remember Sage having some really good games having to start for the Texans when Schaub got hurt. To me its just something to consider and I know bringing him in at the end of preseason hurts but hey look at Carr.

Interesting idea, but I think a team like the Colts may acquire Rosenfels for a 2012 7th round draft pick or something minimal.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

Interesting idea, but I think a team like the Colts may acquire Rosenfels for a 2012 7th round draft pick or something minimal.

Yeah but why could we not match that with Balmers 6th rounder... BOOM
Singletary just said a few days ago that Carr has earned his trust. We won't trade for Sage.
i agree that carr has looked bad, but personally i put absolutely 0 stock in correlating preseason performance to regular season...unless its rookies or guys fighting for a roster spot, i just find it very hard to believe any of the other guys put it all out there physically and mentally......you do make a good point and sage has proven to play well when hes had to come in for houstan and miami before that
Sage is a quality backup, and is a definite upgrade over Carr. I just don't think it would be a wise move to cut Carr for him though. Unfamiliar system and not alot of time to get accustomed to it.

If we don't have faith in Carr we should just run with Nate in a scaled back offense.
I can't believe I am about to type the following sentence! ~"If Alex Smith goes down we are in trouble". Wow that felt strange, Alex appears to be a guy who can string together several quarters of good quarterback play at an NFL level, he needs to be a guy who can string together 76 good quarters for us to be winners! As much as I like Davis, I don't see 4 constantly good quarters in a row from this kid yet, and Carr, not even! I have all the faith in the world that Carr or Davis could come in for a series or two, maybe finish a game, but I just can't see either one of them playing a 5-6 game stretch while Alex recovers from a more serious injury. That being said, I'm not sure if Sage (a girls name) is our man. He has looked okay in small stretches as a starter elsewhere, but over time has shown he is not capable. Would I give Seattle's 6th for him..nope, I think he is only marginaly better than what we have, we should cross our fingers for 19-20 games () and draft a QB next year. If Davis had potential, he could have over taken Smith, Hill, or Carr in camp, but he wasn't able to. So how good is he really?
we also have 4 QBs and bringing somebody that doesn't know our system is not going to work. With a little luck after the preseason you will not have to look at our second QB play again.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I can't believe I am about to type the following sentence! ~"If Alex Smith goes down we are in trouble". Wow that felt strange, Alex appears to be a guy who can string together several quarters of good quarterback play at an NFL level, he needs to be a guy who can string together 76 good quarters for us to be winners! As much as I like Davis, I don't see 4 constantly good quarters in a row from this kid yet, and Carr, not even! I have all the faith in the world that Carr or Davis could come in for a series or two, maybe finish a game, but I just can't see either one of them playing a 5-6 game stretch while Alex recovers from a more serious injury. That being said, I'm not sure if Sage (a girls name) is our man. He has looked okay in small stretches as a starter elsewhere, but over time has shown he is not capable. Would I give Seattle's 6th for him..nope, I think he is only marginaly better than what we have, we should cross our fingers for 19-20 games () and draft a QB next year. If Davis had potential, he could have over taken Smith, Hill, or Carr in camp, but he wasn't able to. So how good is he really?

I think our offense has the potential to revert back into 2006 mode should Alex go down. Yeah we were 7-9 that year, but our defense is significantly better than it was then.
Originally posted by JCStormbringer:
we also have 4 QBs and bringing somebody that doesn't know our system is not going to work. With a little luck after the preseason you will not have to look at our second QB play again.

We have 3 QB's dude and im not counting on Brown. We all know That Jarret Brown is going to the Practice Squad. Our case is alot different than the Vikings. They dont want to send Joe Webb to the practice squad because THEY WILL LOOSE HIM. I believe that it would be difficult to add Sage in on the new system but its an immediate upgrade over Carr. Thats just my 2 cents worth. I want Alex to play well, succeed, and have an injury free season. I am just trying to build an insurance policy at QB in case something happens which I pray dont happen because I believe Alex can do it for us this season. Maybe Carr can come around but he sure has not impressed me or earned my trust yet.

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Sage is a quality backup, and is a definite upgrade over Carr. I just don't think it would be a wise move to cut Carr for him though. Unfamiliar system and not alot of time to get accustomed to it.

If we don't have faith in Carr we should just run with Nate in a scaled back offense.

Agree
Share 49ersWebzone