LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

who the f**k voted F besides me
B+/A-

I thought Smith moved the ball well. He's FAR from the "deer in the head lights" QB he was before. He's definitely IN CONTROL and the leader of this offense. No question about that. It's tough to gauge his true progress without his "stars" on the field. It's a totally different dynamic when Smith has Byham and Ziggy vs Davis and Crabtree. So I can't really judge Smith completely. If he had Crabtree and Davis and we saw the same thing...I'd give him a C+ and be pretty disappointed to be honest.

The TD drive was good. Again, Smith showed confidence and control. He was DIRECTING the team. Like Leatha said, you can "feel" the improvement. I'm actually excited when the offense gets on. I'm not fearful when Smith drops back and I feel like positive things are going to happen when Smith is actively involved. He doesn't need to be a game manager. He can make all the throws and generally makes pretty good decisions.

My only issue with Smith so far: the lack of deep ball attempts (don't know if that's Smith lack of confidence in the deep ball or just playcalling), and forcing the ball. The latter is sort of a catch 22 though. It is/was very unlike Alex to force throws. He was always known to be "so careful" and we used to bi*ch and moan about not having the ability to take risks and "let it rip." I'm ok with "letting it rip" a la Brett Favre, but I don't want to see any of that sht like the Eagles game last year where Smith turned into JTO.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Alex Smith was awesome given the talent he had to deal with tonight. He showed great poise/place, and knew where he was in this game (he's no longer the lost deer in the headlights). Dude made moves when he had to.

Also loved seeing Smith cuss out the coaching staff for the delay of play-calling upstairs. -Alex even audibled on that huge Delanie Walker play (in which Morgan almost muffed with that illegal block).

I think Alex is to the point he's so comfortable and confident with the offense that he's ready to go rogue and tell Raye to go f**k himself when s**t hits the fan with the horrible playcalling.

smith audibled tto exploit a good matchup of walker on a linebacker...like he did last year in lions game when he improvised to get ball to gore on dump off pass for big gain....the things a good qb does
Originally posted by znk916:
who the f**k voted F besides me

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
B+/A-

My only issue with Smith so far: the lack of deep ball attempts (don't know if that's Smith lack of confidence in the deep ball or just playcalling), and forcing the ball.

That's a good point. However, they did try a go route to Ginn in each half and on both occassions Smith lofted the ball, forcing Ginn to break stride and allowing the safety to arrive and assist. Those two floaters were among the few nits to pick in his performance last night.
I gave Alex a B. Alex actually gave Walker a chance to run after the catch on the one that partially came back due to a block on the back. One of my concerns of Alex of the past was his ability to hit WRs in stride or away from the defense to allow them to run after the catch.

Alex did miss some throws last night but he made some nice decisions as well.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
After looking at Carr, Smith looks like Joe Montana.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by mayo63:

carr is a joke i pray to god alex doesnt get rocky bernarded. our season is f**ked if he gets injured, carr just wastes the talent we have on offense
Originally posted by TheAcpHater:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by BHulman:
I thought he played way better last week. All his passes this week were short dinks and dunks, some were off target, and the ones that were dropped wouldn't have moved the chains anyways. Last week he played pretty well IMO. THis week was pretty average. Gradkowski played way better than Smith tonight.

That TD pass was a dink and dunk?

Yeah, that was nice. I'm just going off of gut feel. I thought last week he played good, against a much better defense. His yards per completion seemed low tonight, but I haven't seen the stats yet. Smith's yards per completion have always been low though.

His numbers were actually pretty good: 9/15 for 113 yards. YPC: 12.5, YPA: 7.53.

As comparisons:

Rodgers: 21/29 195 yd. YPC: 9.28. YPA: 6.72.
Flacco: 21/34 229 yd. YPC: 10.9. YPA: 6.73.

ok, I retract my comments, those are good figures. Somehow my gut says he played better last week though. Maybe it was his pocket presence, I can't put my finger on it.

Translation:

" I can't come up with any logical reasons on why Smith sucked today, I just have an axe to grind attitude with him so I'll make up excuses like dink and dunk passes to make it look like he did suck."

For all this talk of "Alexcuses", the excuses come from the Smith haters a whole lot more.

Susweel, Fly15, are you there? Or still crying that Smith has outclassed the rest of our quarterbacks thus far?

excuse me, but at least I can express an unbiased opinion and correct myself to Smith's benefit, as opposed to the 95% here who swing blindly from Smith's nuts.

You're free to express any opinion you want, as long as you aren't committing a double standard, which is what you are doing right now. You cry foul when the Smith supporters make so called "excuses" when he doesn't play well, and now you are CERTAINLY making excuses when he did play well. You were hooting and hollering about Smith sucking after the Indy game, citing his passer rating and "waiting" for the smith excuses to come. Now, he has played well 2 weeks in a row and YOU are the one making excuses.

Once you stop the double standard, I'll be happy to accept your opinion. Until then, I'll call the double standard out as I see fit.

Curious to see if Shaj has a response to this, even he has to admit he is committing a huge double standard here with his spin.

Let's hope he doesn't bail like a true sad sack, time to own up to the hypocrisy, I got faith in ya Shaj.

San Francisco 49ers at 09:37
11-S.Janikowski kicks 67 yards from OAK 30 to SF 3. 18-B.Guillory to SF 17 for 14 yards (31-H.Eugene).
1-10-SF 17 (9:31) 44-M.Norris up the middle to SF 19 for 2 yards (33-T.Branch).
2-8-SF 19 (8:54) 11-A.Smith pass short middle to 82-N.Byham to SF 25 for 6 yards (55-R.McClain).
3-2-SF 25 (8:12) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short middle to 84-J.Morgan to SF 31 for 6 yards (55-R.McClain).
1-10-SF 31 (7:31) 21-F.Gore up the middle to OAK 20 for 49 yards (33-T.Branch).
1-10-OAK 20 (6:53) 21-F.Gore up the middle to OAK 11 for 9 yards (55-R.McClain).
2-1-OAK 11 (6:18) 11-A.Smith FUMBLES (Aborted) at OAK 16, recovered by SF-21-F.Gore at OAK 14. 21-F.Gore to OAK 14 for no gain (24-M.Huff).
Timeout #1 by SF at 05:40.
3-4-OAK 14 (5:40) (Shotgun) PENALTY on SF-46-Del.Walker, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at OAK 14 - No Play.
3-9-OAK 19 (5:40) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short right to 46-Del.Walker.
4-9-OAK 19 (5:40) 6-J.Nedney 37 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-86-B.Jennings, Holder-4-A.Lee.

San Francisco 49ers at 03:50
1-10-SF 32 (3:50) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete deep right to 46-Del.Walker (33-T.Branch).
2-10-SF 32 (3:43) 33-A.Dixon left end to SF 30 for -2 yards (77-M.Shaughnessy).
3-12-SF 30 (2:59) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short middle to 17-D.Zeigler (24-M.Huff).
4-12-SF 30 (2:54) 4-A.Lee punts 52 yards to OAK 18, Center-86-B.Jennings. 15-J.Higgins to OAK 20 for 2 yards (47-B.Miller).
San Francisco 49ers at 00:13
1-10-SF 34 (:13) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 46-Del.Walker to OAK 28 for 38 yards (21-N.Asomugha). PENALTY on SF-84-J.Morgan, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at OAK 28.

2nd Quarter
San Francisco 49ers continues ...
1-10-OAK 38 (15:00) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 44-M.Norris to OAK 25 for 13 yards (55-R.McClain). Penalty on OAK-99-L.Houston, Defensive Offside, declined.
1-10-OAK 25 (14:36) 33-A.Dixon right guard to OAK 16 for 9 yards (24-M.Huff).
2-1-OAK 16 (13:59) 44-M.Norris up the middle to OAK 16 for no gain (Team).
3-1-OAK 16 (13:10) 33-A.Dixon up the middle to OAK 16 for no gain (Team).
4-1-OAK 16 (12:25) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short left to 19-T.Ginn (21-N.Asomugha). PENALTY on OAK-21-N.Asomugha, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at OAK 16 - No Play.
1-10-OAK 11 (12:20) 33-A.Dixon right end to OAK 11 for no gain (55-R.McClain).
2-10-OAK 11 (11:36) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short right to 82-N.Byham (26-S.Routt).
3-10-OAK 11 (11:31) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short middle to 82-N.Byham.
4-10-OAK 11 (11:27) 6-J.Nedney 28 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-86-B.Jennings, Holder-4-A.Lee.

San Francisco 49ers at 08:07
1-10-SF 40 (8:07) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short right to 19-T.Ginn.
2-10-SF 40 (8:00) 11-A.Smith pass short left to 44-M.Norris to SF 48 for 8 yards (23-J.Ware).
3-2-SF 48 (8:00) PENALTY on SF-11-A.Smith, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at SF 48 - No Play.
3-7-SF 43 (6:16) 11-A.Smith pass short right to 17-D.Zeigler to OAK 49 for 8 yards (22-W.McFadden).
1-10-OAK 49 (5:57) PENALTY on SF-77-M.Iupati, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at OAK 49 - No Play.
1-15-SF 46 (5:31) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass short middle to 84-J.Morgan to OAK 45 for 9 yards (33-T.Branch).
2-6-OAK 45 (4:50) 20-B.Westbrook left end to OAK 45 for no gain (24-M.Huff).
3-6-OAK 45 (4:14) (Shotgun) 20-B.Westbrook up the middle to OAK 28 for 17 yards (Team).
1-10-OAK 28 (3:26) 11-A.Smith pass short middle to 19-T.Ginn to OAK 19 for 9 yards (24-M.Huff).
2-1-OAK 19 (2:41) 33-A.Dixon up the middle to OAK 17 for 2 yards (79-J.Henderson).
Two-Minute Warning
1-10-OAK 17 (2:00) 33-A.Dixon up the middle to OAK 16 for 1 yard (33-T.Branch, 55-R.McClain).
2-9-OAK 16 (1:20) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass deep middle to 84-J.Morgan for 16 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
6-J.Nedney extra point is GOOD, Center-86-B.Jennings, Holder-4-A.Lee.
SF 17 OAK 7 Plays: 10 Possession: 6:54
San Francisco 49ers at 00:40
11-S.Janikowski kicks 68 yards from OAK 30 to SF 2. 18-B.Guillory to SF 19 for 17 yards (54-S.Williams).
1-10-SF 19 (:34) 33-A.Dixon right tackle to SF 19 for no gain. PENALTY on SF-62-C.Rachal, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SF 19 - No Play.
1-15-SF 14 (:34) (Shotgun) 33-A.Dixon up the middle to SF 20 for 6 yards (53-T.Howard; 55-R.McClain).
END QUARTER 2

B+

Then Carr happened.....

I like Smith's Kung Fu wind up.

-9fA
B. Missed some passes that were not due to receivers. Made advances, still a lot to be desired.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by thojess:
I thought he looked sharp. Passes were crisp and on the mark. One thing though, why do we seem to drop more balls than any team in the league? I swear this team has more balls hit hands and go incomplete than any team I watch. Maybe its my imagination, but lots of catchable balls are falling incomplete.

It's not your imagination. We drop a lot.

How the f**k does Jerry Sullivan still have a job? He's created ZERO good receivers in his tenure. ZERO. Crabtree is just good because he's an amazing talent. Sullivan sucks!

But they run AMAZING routes before they drop the ball.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by BHulman:
I thought he played way better last week. All his passes this week were short dinks and dunks, some were off target, and the ones that were dropped wouldn't have moved the chains anyways. Last week he played pretty well IMO. THis week was pretty average. Gradkowski played way better than Smith tonight.

That TD pass was a dink and dunk?

Yeah, that was nice. I'm just going off of gut feel. I thought last week he played good, against a much better defense. His yards per completion seemed low tonight, but I haven't seen the stats yet. Smith's yards per completion have always been low though.

His numbers were actually pretty good: 9/15 for 113 yards. YPC: 12.5, YPA: 7.53.

As comparisons:

Rodgers: 21/29 195 yd. YPC: 9.28. YPA: 6.72.
Flacco: 21/34 229 yd. YPC: 10.9. YPA: 6.73.

ok, I retract my comments, those are good figures. Somehow my gut says he played better last week though. Maybe it was his pocket presence, I can't put my finger on it.

Translation:

" I can't come up with any logical reasons on why Smith sucked today, I just have an axe to grind attitude with him so I'll make up excuses like dink and dunk passes to make it look like he did suck."

For all this talk of "Alexcuses", the excuses come from the Smith haters a whole lot more.

Susweel, Fly15, are you there? Or still crying that Smith has outclassed the rest of our quarterbacks thus far?

excuse me, but at least I can express an unbiased opinion and correct myself to Smith's benefit, as opposed to the 95% here who swing blindly from Smith's nuts.

you might be the most biased person in here when it comes to smith.

Certainly not the most, but right up at the top.

And Eddie D would be right there with you guys, giving Smith chances in year 6, right? Sorry, he would have dropped Smith like a hot potato in year 3 or 4, either down the depth chart or off the team.

Expecting greatness does not equal bias. Sorry.
Share 49ersWebzone