There are 234 users in the forums

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by JMC52:
did n e one else feel he tried to force the ball into tight coverage a few times?

yeah, but he completed those!!!!

not too mention, and let me not say any names, but i have seen recently, a few of the good/great QB's throwing the ball into coverage continously. the wr just makes the play.

So i mean is it really a bad thing if he throws into tight coverage. If the ball gets where it needs to be, and it's up to the receiver to make the play, then the QB did his job in my opinion.
another solid outing. i think smith is at the point where he can win games for us. i think some of the playcalling he had to deal with was whack like the fullback passes and stuff like that but he did very well regardless. keep it coming Alex this is your year!!!
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by skynet907:
if only the votes were public, so that we know who to scrutinize.

If it were public then the guys that voted F would be exposed for the troll raider fans they are.

it's obviously fly

says the guy with a 70% warning level
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
did n e one else feel he tried to force the ball into tight coverage a few times?

not too mention, and let me not say any names, but i have seen recently, a few of the good/great QB's throwing the ball into coverage continously. the wr just makes the play.

So i mean is it really a bad thing if he throws into tight coverage. If the ball gets where it needs to be, and it's up to the receiver to make the play, then the QB did his job in my opinion.

I get scared on the throws over the middle with the LBs on the guys back. Theres just no room for error, a tip or if the pass is a little off could create a turnover.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by skynet907:
if only the votes were public, so that we know who to scrutinize.

If it were public then the guys that voted F would be exposed for the troll raider fans they are.

it's obviously fly

says the guy with a 70% warning level

LOL but he's probably right.

Ziegler and Morgan made great catches on those tight passes I saw.
I liked what I saw. It was the play calling I didn't like at times. It sucks we got those penalties on the first drive, I think we would have scored.
Originally posted by teeohh:
I liked what I saw. It was the play calling I didn't like at times. It sucks we got those penalties on the first drive, I think we would have scored.

Yeah at one point we went with 6 running plays out of 7 plays when we had a chance to score, and I was like WTF? Also Nedney misses that FG and Byham dropped 2 or 3 passes and DWalker dropped 1. Should've been more catches and yards.
Solid B. The team is deep at QB, really.

Raye, I always keep a can of Rock Star in my car so that I won't crash and bring others down with me. It's like a responsibility...
Finished with a 105 passer rating and no ints. Those are positives, but on the niners broadcast they showed his stats on his 1st two drives compared to his last two...let's just say other than last week he's been a chronic slow starter

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I thought he played way better last week. All his passes this week were short dinks and dunks, some were off target, and the ones that were dropped wouldn't have moved the chains anyways. Last week he played pretty well IMO. THis week was pretty average. Gradkowski played way better than Smith tonight.
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:

I get scared on the throws over the middle with the LBs on the guys back. Theres just no room for error, a tip or if the pass is a little off could create a turnover.

you do understand that if he cannot make those throws you worry about then he will never be a good QB? Those are the plays that win games. Any QB that cannot squeeze the ball through double coverage is not one i want on my team.
Originally posted by Shaj:
I thought he played way better last week. All his passes this week were short dinks and dunks, some were off target, and the ones that were dropped wouldn't have moved the chains anyways. Last week he played pretty well IMO. THis week was pretty average. Gradkowski played way better than Smith tonight.

That TD pass was a dink and dunk?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by Shaj:

That TD pass was a dink and dunk?

Yeah, that was nice. I'm just going off of gut feel. I thought last week he played good, against a much better defense. His yards per completion seemed low tonight, but I haven't seen the stats yet. Smith's yards per completion have always been low though.
Is it just me or has Smith been putting on a more powered Shaun Hill impression the past 2 weeks?

Smith has been making making the type of decisions/dink-and-dunk passes Shaun Hill would, but with his own arm. (Maiocco even coined this last preseason; if you could combine Shuan Hill's mind with Alex's arm you'd have a top 10 QB).

This is definitely a good thing.
Share 49ersWebzone