LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 428 users in the forums

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Alex Smith's performance in game 3 @ Oakland...

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by danimal:
I give him a B in this past game. Solid outing.

Can he be solid for 60 minutes though?
Can he be solid for several games in a row?

You about summed up my feelings.

As one of Smith's biggest critics -- I've got to admit -- he's surprised me with two straight fairly good performances.

I mean -- the running game was NOT a factor until Gore got in. And by that time? Oakland was respecting Smith's ability to get the ball downfield. It should come as absolutely no surprise then -- that Gore ripped off a 50-yarder the first time he touched the ball.

If Alex keeps on playing decent football -- Gore is going to benefit the most by having a very good year.

I rate Alex's play a B to a B+. He showed true pocket awareness again this past weekend and again had time to scan the field for the open receiver.

Did he hit every pass? Nope. No QB does. But he hit enough of them.

ok who hacked his account
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

As one of Smith's biggest critics -- I've got to admit -- he's surprised me with two straight fairly good performances.

I mean -- the running game was NOT a factor until Gore got in. And by that time? Oakland was respecting Smith's ability to get the ball downfield. It should come as absolutely no surprise then -- that Gore ripped off a 50-yarder the first time he touched the ball.

If Alex keeps on playing decent football -- Gore is going to benefit the most by having a very good year.

I rate Alex's play a B to a B+. He showed true pocket awareness again this past weekend and again had time to scan the field for the open receiver.

[insertdeadbananagif]
Does anybody else feel dumber after reading dirty9ers' post replies.

Dude u don't even have ground to stand on with yo comments. Not even Peyton manning would be able to play for your unreasonable ass. Oh wait, nevermind cuz our not a coach.
Originally posted by HomerJ:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
There's a good chance that we are seeing more of this dink-n-dunk underneath crap for 2 reasons...

1. Getting our OL some confidence in pass pro by keeping their jobs easier.
2. Getting more work of our short passing game (which was the knock on Smith) while we wait for VD and Crabtree to return.

We'll open things up a bit more in the regular season... I hope.

Smith has always had the dink and dunk and checking down habit, right? His career ypc shows this. That has to be your #3, assuming these are not in priority order.

Do you know who led the league in receptions in 1985 with Joe Montana throwing to him?

RB Roger Craig

No way, he's a HB. There's no way in hell that could happen. That's like saying a middle linebacker can lead the league in sacks.
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
There's a good chance that we are seeing more of this dink-n-dunk underneath crap for 2 reasons...

2. Getting more work of our short passing game (which was the knock on Smith) while we wait for VD and Crabtree to return.

Smith has always had the dink and dunk and checking down habit, right? His career ypc shows this. That has to be your #3, assuming these are not in priority order.

Do you know who led the league in receptions in 1985 with Joe Montana throwing to him?

RB Roger Craig

No way, he's a HB. There's no way in hell that could happen. That's like saying a middle linebacker can lead the league in sacks.

No way in hell you say?? Here are the stats. Maybe look them up before getting cray cray.

Receptions
1. Roger Craig* · SFO 92
2. Art Monk* · WAS 91
3. Lionel James · SDG 86
4. Todd Christensen*+ · RAI 82
5. Butch Woolfolk · HOU 80
6. Steve Largent*+ · SEA 79
7. Mickey Shuler · NYJ 76
8. John Stallworth · PIT 75
9. Tony Hill* · DAL 74
10. Mike Quick*+ · PHI 73

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1985/leaders.htm
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Aug 30, 2010 at 4:22 PM ]
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

RB Roger Craig

No way in hell you say?? Here are the stats. Maybe look them up before getting cray cray.

Receptions
1. Roger Craig* · SFO 92
2. Art Monk* · WAS 91
3. Lionel James · SDG 86
9. Tony Hill* · DAL 74

I was being sarcastic. Hence the remark about the middle linebacker. I posted a poll about Patrick Willis leading the league in sacks. Just goes to show that anything can happen.

RB Roger Craig

Receptions
1. Roger Craig* · SFO 92
2. Art Monk* · WAS 91
3. Lionel James · SDG 86
9. Tony Hill* · DAL 74

I was being sarcastic. Hence the remark about the middle linebacker. I posted a poll about Patrick Willis leading the league in sacks. Just goes to show that anything can happen.

Next time, I'll be sure to follow every thread you start and each of your posts closely so I NEVER make this mistake again!

RB Roger Craig

Receptions
1. Roger Craig* · SFO 92
2. Art Monk* · WAS 91
3. Lionel James · SDG 86
9. Tony Hill* · DAL 74

Next time, I'll be sure to follow every thread you start and each of your posts closely so I NEVER make this mistake again!

Funny thing is, you were the last to post something in it.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=144518&page=3

Funny thing is, you were the last to post something in it.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=144518&page=3

Ah yes. I saw the name "ManBearPig" and had to comment. Next time I'll be sure to remember each and every person who starts which threads.
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
Originally posted by TheAcpHater:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by BHulman:
I thought he played way better last week. All his passes this week were short dinks and dunks, some were off target, and the ones that were dropped wouldn't have moved the chains anyways. Last week he played pretty well IMO. THis week was pretty average. Gradkowski played way better than Smith tonight.

That TD pass was a dink and dunk?

Yeah, that was nice. I'm just going off of gut feel. I thought last week he played good, against a much better defense. His yards per completion seemed low tonight, but I haven't seen the stats yet. Smith's yards per completion have always been low though.

His numbers were actually pretty good: 9/15 for 113 yards. YPC: 12.5, YPA: 7.53.

As comparisons:

Rodgers: 21/29 195 yd. YPC: 9.28. YPA: 6.72.
Flacco: 21/34 229 yd. YPC: 10.9. YPA: 6.73.

ok, I retract my comments, those are good figures. Somehow my gut says he played better last week though. Maybe it was his pocket presence, I can't put my finger on it.

Translation:

" I can't come up with any logical reasons on why Smith sucked today, I just have an axe to grind attitude with him so I'll make up excuses like dink and dunk passes to make it look like he did suck."

For all this talk of "Alexcuses", the excuses come from the Smith haters a whole lot more.

Susweel, Fly15, are you there? Or still crying that Smith has outclassed the rest of our quarterbacks thus far?

excuse me, but at least I can express an unbiased opinion and correct myself to Smith's benefit, as opposed to the 95% here who swing blindly from Smith's nuts.

You're free to express any opinion you want, as long as you aren't committing a double standard, which is what you are doing right now. You cry foul when the Smith supporters make so called "excuses" when he doesn't play well, and now you are CERTAINLY making excuses when he did play well. You were hooting and hollering about Smith sucking after the Indy game, citing his passer rating and "waiting" for the smith excuses to come. Now, he has played well 2 weeks in a row and YOU are the one making excuses.

Once you stop the double standard, I'll be happy to accept your opinion. Until then, I'll call the double standard out as I see fit.

Curious to see if Shaj has a response to this, even he has to admit he is committing a huge double standard here with his spin.

Let's hope he doesn't bail like a true sad sack, time to own up to the hypocrisy, I got faith in ya Shaj.

I woudl bet if you took out the D. Walker pass with huge YAC, it would be dink and dunk stats, which was my perception.

Either way, I thought he played a good game. I have some critiques, but it was good. My perception was he played an even better game last week.

You should be glad I can compliment Smith instead of calling it hypocrisy, which is ludicrous.

I woudl bet if you took out the D. Walker pass with huge YAC, it would be dink and dunk stats, which was my perception.

Ohh boy, is this another "excuse" or what. You're giving me a riot of laughs with this one. Smith made a great throw to Walker hitting him in stride, so whether that play padded his stats or not, it was a great play by Smith and guess what? IT COUNTS. Just another excuse from Shaj, continuing his hypocrisy with making excuses, after he gets mad at Smith supoorters making "alexcuses".

Either way, I thought he played a good game. I have some critiques, but it was good. My perception was he played an even better game last week.

So now you are backtracking. You said earlier in this thread that he played an "average" game, only to get facts thrown your way that claims otherwise, and you change your opinion. Just more outstanding work from the Smith haters.

You should be glad I can compliment Smith instead of calling it hypocrisy, which is ludicrous

Oh spare me. I just pointed out your hypocrisy in my previous post. Instead of responding to it or owning up, you dodged the accusation and backtracked on what you said earlier. Just own up to your hypocrisy which I pointed out on my previous post, or continue to make a clown of yourself. Choice is yours my friend, I'm pulling for you to do the right thing here, believe it or not.

you have way too much attitude for having less posts than people in Arkansas have teeth.

bottom line is, if Smith was as good as everyone here makes him out to be, he would have been signed to an extension already. There's a big fat reason why he hasn't been: he hasn't played well enough to earn it yet.

Still haven't responded to the double standard you committed. I guess we're done here, I had faith for ya but you didn't own up to it. For shame.

Even during the play to Delanie the announcer said it looked like a blown play - Alex did not look good. His STATS looked good but he looked the same as he always does. He is a player with NO INSTINCTS, NO touch, no leadership and very little in the way of accuracy - and he is an embarrassment to this team and so are the people who pretend that he offers anything to the game of football.

Even the crossing route to Bynam where it bounced off his face mask was Alex's fault... Had Alex lead the Bynam (just a bit - like any good QB would have) instead of throwing it to where he "was" it would have been a completion…
And I do not accept the "excuse" that he didn't have "his" weapons... THat's total B.S. Ziegler is a good receiver, Walker sometimes looks as good as Davis, Gore tore it up when he was in, Westbrook was in the game, Morgan is a capable WR... Smith on the other hand is a bum!!!
And just for the record the Smith touchdown was against a softzone with "ZERO" passrush and MORGAN sat in a great spot. Heck even Jamarcuss Russell accomplished a touchdown every now and again!
Grade D-

Ummm played the position(WR) and if that ball bounced off MY facemask my Coach would have had me running suicides all week long til the next game. I mean holy hell dude, are Bynam's arms welded in a fixed position that Smith or any QB has to throw it ahead of him? If so then Bynam needs to be out of the league cause this is the Pros and not every pass is gonna be out in front of you.

Don't be blamin that stupidity on Smith. If Smith threw it behind him, then you would be right that it was Smith. Even then that could be on the Receiver. Considering you should be able to twist at the waist like an old GI Joe doll.

If you are one of those "Alexcuses" guys, you make more excuses for the Receivers.

The ball wasn't perfect so therefore it was Alex's fault that the Receiver didn't catch it, it bounced off their facemask,hands etc.

Years ago we saw this happen with Garcia. A lot of people trashed the guy cause the Receivers weren't catching the ball. "Ooooohhh my gaaaaaaawwwwd Garcia sucks" was the common theme. Nevermind that Owens alligatored a lot of his Passes and complained that he wasn't thrown to.

I don't know about you, but if I'm QB and gonna get thrown under the bus everytime you the Receiver drop my Passes, you WILL NOT get another one til you start catching the damn thing. I can drown just as well on my own as with you whining about my Passes. Start catching them consistently and stop knocking them into the air and we start winning Ball Games. It's that simple.

I never heard Rice whine about Passes. Never heard Monk whine about Passes, Never heard Largent Whine about Passes. The only people I ever hear whine about Passes are losers who don't catch the ones that count. Period.

I played the position and had my fair share of drops. But I sure as hell didn't whine to my QB about it. I told em that I'd get the next one and I did. If you're gonna hold Smith accountable(nothing wrong with this) then you should hold the Receiver more so cause he should have looked it into his hands and caught the friggin thing. I bet Bynam thinks he should have caught that ball.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by BHulman:
I thought he played way better last week. All his passes this week were short dinks and dunks, some were off target, and the ones that were dropped wouldn't have moved the chains anyways. Last week he played pretty well IMO. THis week was pretty average. Gradkowski played way better than Smith tonight.

That TD pass was a dink and dunk?

Yeah, that was nice. I'm just going off of gut feel. I thought last week he played good, against a much better defense. His yards per completion seemed low tonight, but I haven't seen the stats yet. Smith's yards per completion have always been low though.

His numbers were actually pretty good: 9/15 for 113 yards. YPC: 12.5, YPA: 7.53.

As comparisons:

Rodgers: 21/29 195 yd. YPC: 9.28. YPA: 6.72.
Flacco: 21/34 229 yd. YPC: 10.9. YPA: 6.73.

ok, I retract my comments, those are good figures. Somehow my gut says he played better last week though. Maybe it was his pocket presence, I can't put my finger on it.

Translation:

" I can't come up with any logical reasons on why Smith sucked today, I just have an axe to grind attitude with him so I'll make up excuses like dink and dunk passes to make it look like he did suck."

For all this talk of "Alexcuses", the excuses come from the Smith haters a whole lot more.

Susweel, Fly15, are you there? Or still crying that Smith has outclassed the rest of our quarterbacks thus far?

excuse me, but at least I can express an unbiased opinion and correct myself to Smith's benefit, as opposed to the 95% here who swing blindly from Smith's nuts.

You're free to express any opinion you want, as long as you aren't committing a double standard, which is what you are doing right now. You cry foul when the Smith supporters make so called "excuses" when he doesn't play well, and now you are CERTAINLY making excuses when he did play well. You were hooting and hollering about Smith sucking after the Indy game, citing his passer rating and "waiting" for the smith excuses to come. Now, he has played well 2 weeks in a row and YOU are the one making excuses.

Once you stop the double standard, I'll be happy to accept your opinion. Until then, I'll call the double standard out as I see fit.

Curious to see if Shaj has a response to this, even he has to admit he is committing a huge double standard here with his spin.

Let's hope he doesn't bail like a true sad sack, time to own up to the hypocrisy, I got faith in ya Shaj.

You should be glad I can compliment Smith instead of calling it hypocrisy, which is ludicrous.

Ohh boy, is this another "excuse" or what. You're giving me a riot of laughs with this one. Smith made a great throw to Walker hitting him in stride, so whether that play padded his stats or not, it was a great play by Smith and guess what? IT COUNTS. Just another excuse from Shaj, continuing his hypocrisy with making excuses, after he gets mad at Smith supoorters making "alexcuses".

So now you are backtracking. You said earlier in this thread that he played an "average" game, only to get facts thrown your way that claims otherwise, and you change your opinion. Just more outstanding work from the Smith haters.

You should be glad I can compliment Smith instead of calling it hypocrisy, which is ludicrous

Oh spare me. I just pointed out your hypocrisy in my previous post. Instead of responding to it or owning up, you dodged the accusation and backtracked on what you said earlier. Just own up to your hypocrisy which I pointed out on my previous post, or continue to make a clown of yourself. Choice is yours my friend, I'm pulling for you to do the right thing here, believe it or not.

you have way too much attitude for having less posts than people in Arkansas have teeth.

bottom line is, if Smith was as good as everyone here makes him out to be, he would have been signed to an extension already. There's a big fat reason why he hasn't been: he hasn't played well enough to earn it yet.

Still haven't responded to the double standard you committed. I guess we're done here, I had faith for ya but you didn't own up to it. For shame.

Even during the play to Delanie the announcer said it looked like a blown play - Alex did not look good. His STATS looked good but he looked the same as he always does. He is a player with NO INSTINCTS, NO touch, no leadership and very little in the way of accuracy - and he is an embarrassment to this team and so are the people who pretend that he offers anything to the game of football.

Even the crossing route to [b]Bynam where it bounced off his face mask was Alex's fault...[/b] Had Alex lead the Bynam (just a bit - like any good QB would have) instead of throwing it to where he "was" it would have been a completion…
And I do not accept the "excuse" that he didn't have "his" weapons... THat's total B.S. Ziegler is a good receiver, Walker sometimes looks as good as Davis, Gore tore it up when he was in, Westbrook was in the game, Morgan is a capable WR... Smith on the other hand is a bum!!!
And just for the record the Smith touchdown was against a softzone with "ZERO" passrush and MORGAN sat in a great spot. Heck even Jamarcuss Russell accomplished a touchdown every now and again!
Grade D-

Ummm played the position(WR) and if that ball bounced off MY facemask my Coach would have had me running suicides all week long til the next game. I mean holy hell dude, are Bynam's arms welded in a fixed position that Smith or any QB has to throw it ahead of him? If so then Bynam needs to be out of the league cause this is the Pros and not every pass is gonna be out in front of you.

Don't be blamin that stupidity on Smith. If Smith threw it behind him, then you would be right that it was Smith. Even then that could be on the Receiver. Considering you should be able to twist at the waist like an old GI Joe doll.

If you are one of those "Alexcuses" guys, you make more excuses for the Receivers.

The ball wasn't perfect so therefore it was Alex's fault that the Receiver didn't catch it, it bounced off their facemask,hands etc.

Years ago we saw this happen with Garcia. A lot of people trashed the guy cause the Receivers weren't catching the ball. "Ooooohhh my gaaaaaaawwwwd Garcia sucks" was the common theme. Nevermind that Owens alligatored a lot of his Passes and complained that he wasn't thrown to.

I don't know about you, but if I'm QB and gonna get thrown under the bus everytime you the Receiver drop my Passes, you WILL NOT get another one til you start catching the damn thing. I can drown just as well on my own as with you whining about my Passes. Start catching them consistently and stop knocking them into the air and we start winning Ball Games. It's that simple.

I never heard Rice whine about Passes. Never heard Monk whine about Passes, Never heard Largent Whine about Passes. The only people I ever hear whine about Passes are losers who don't catch the ones that count. Period.

I played the position and had my fair share of drops. But I sure as hell didn't whine to my QB about it. I told em that I'd get the next one and I did. If you're gonna hold Smith accountable(nothing wrong with this) then you should hold the Receiver more so cause he should have looked it into his hands and caught the friggin thing. I bet Bynam thinks he should have caught that ball.

~Ceadder

Pretty sure Bynam plays for the lakers....

Also, if it hits you in the facemask, you better F'ing catch that ball... there isn't a coach in the world that would accept the excuse "It's the QB's fault he hit me in the facemask coach!"

Man I need to start donating more to public schools....
[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM ]

Yes, I am surprised too. I gave him a C+ last week, but the 2 games back to back is a definite B as a whole.

As for jumping on the bandwagon(Ptulini). I don't jump on anybodys bandwagon in the Pre Season.

I still remember this preseason game when Alex threw like 1 or 2 TD's on Champ Bailey's ass. I was stupified, then the real season began and Alex was Alex again.

So lets not suck each others dicks quite yet.
[ Edited by danimal on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:24 PM ]

Yes, I am surprised too. I gave him a C+ last week, but the 2 games back to back is a definite B as a whole.

As for jumping on the bandwagon(Ptulini). I don't jump on anybodys bandwagon in the Pre Season.

I still remember this preseason game when Alex threw like 1 or 2 TD's on Champ Bailey's ass. I was stupified, then the real season began and Alex was Alex again.

This is a good point. Now this guy is what the Smith doubters SHOULD post like. Memo to Dirty9er, Fly15, and Susweel, this is how you use logic and reason when discussing football.

As a whole, this forum puts WAYYY too much stock into preseason play. The talking should probably stop until Seattle rolls around.

This is a good point. Now this guy is what the Smith doubters SHOULD post like. Memo to Dirty9er, Fly15, and Susweel, this is how you use logic and reason when discussing football.

As a whole, this forum puts WAYYY too much stock into preseason play. The talking should probably stop until Seattle rolls around.

This is Niner Talk, my friend. That will never happen.
Share 49ersWebzone