There are 241 users in the forums

Sopoaga vs. McDonald?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • bret
  • Veteran
During last week's broadcast one of the guys mentioned that Sopoaga vs. McDonald was one of the only position battles still going on on the team. I hadn't heard anything about this from any of the beat writers, so I just assumed it was an ignorant National broadcaster (not that uncommon!)

But then yesterday Kevin Lynch picked up the same topic in passing in his column!

What's going on? It was my impression that Sopoaga was pretty solidly entrenched as the 3-4 starter and in running situations and that they switched in McDonald in obvious passing situations. And in the rare instances that they go 4-3, they use both. Am I off base here? Is this something to watch for tonight?
ever since he blocked that FG versus the Vikings that got returned for a TD I've been following him more closely. he's very talented on third downs, but then again, soap is solid all around.
I think you nailed it. Soap starts and RMC spells him in passing situations.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:

yep, and i think we have great depth here. I followed McDonald a lot last year too and I think he can be starting on some teams, he's talented.
Soap is still sux for always!! Mcdonald is better play for quick and move to forward step that is better to move and move than slow turtle like Soap... If Soap is step too slow like turtle that he has plm for breath and fat azz lazy!!
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Soap is still sux for always!! Mcdonald is better play for quick and move to forward step that is better to move and move than slow turtle like Soap... If Soap is step too slow like turtle that he has plm for breath and fat azz lazy!!

Nate, is that you again?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by theninermaniac:

this what happens because Soap is better against the run

did I miss something
Originally posted by irishluder:

did I miss something

No, that's for real.
BIG MAC!

• bret
  • Veteran
Once again Kevin Lynch is talking today about the competition between Sopoaga and McDonald:

"Isaac Sopoaga and Ray McDonald are in competition for the left defensive end spot. Sopoaga looked sluggish in the opening drive against the Raiders. McDonald definitely had better punch."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=71156

Yet it seemed to me Sopoaga was in the whole time. Then Maiocco confirmed it this morning:

"90-Isaac Sopoaga: Started at left defensive end, where he played most of the first three quarters. He also played two series at nose tackle. He had just one assisted tackle.
91-Ray McDonald: He saw action with the first unit as a nickel inside pass rusher. Also saw time at left defensive end when Sopoaga played nose tackle. He did not get any pressure on the quarterback."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/30/10/Maiocco-49ers-Defensive-Recap/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=300333&feedID=5936

What team is Lynch covering? I'd never heard anything about this "competition" until one of the National TV guys said something during the broadcast two weeks ago. Now Lynch is "covering" the competition regularly! What's going on?!
  • Otter
  • Veteran

Soap still sux always is! Mcdonald is better play for fast and movement to forward step which is to move better than slow turtle such as soap and be moved. If soap is the step, which is too slow like turtle that it plm for the putrid breath and grease donkeys has
If we ran a 4-3, then McDonald would be a GREAT end. As is we run a 4-3, Sopo has the bulk to be a D.T. in that system.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by stevenking57:
If we ran a 4-3, then McDonald would be a GREAT end. As is we run a 4-3, Sopo has the bulk to be a D.T. in that system.

Meh

McDonald, Soap, Haralson, Lawson - the Pass-Rushless Crew. They would be awesome if we were a professional Rugby team however.

For depth McDonald is a good player.
Originally posted by irishluder:

did I miss something

You missed the crackpipeS littering the floor when you walked in the room.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Aug 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone