There are 207 users in the forums

18 game schedule?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

18 game schedule?

I personally am not opposed to the idea of an 18 game schedule, and 2 pre-season games. The only area that it seems to have a negative impact is for players like Anthony Dixon who are 6th round picks, or even Phillip Adams. Carson Palmer mentioned it would mean that starters would need those 2 pre-season games to prepare, however It seems it would be more difficult for late round or undrafted players to make the team.

Enjoy!
The only person it's good for are the owners. The players risk getting hurt, two many games make it easier for a crap team to get into the playoffs, and the fans don't really benefit.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Good idea.
I like it. 6 division games and 12 games against three other full divisions, as opposed to this playing two divisions and then two random teams from another division. This makes it so that each team from a division has to play the exact same 18 opponents, which should even out the competitive balance of the league even further.
This thread is about to get MOOOOOOOVED!
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

• dman
  • Veteran
BAD
Originally posted by dman:
BAD
NFL talk and I hate the idea. Stay at 16. injuries, stats, etc.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
The only person it's good for are the owners. The players risk getting hurt, two many games make it easier for a crap team to get into the playoffs, and the fans don't really benefit.

two more games wont get anyone hurt...no more than usual.

there wasnt a huge injury spike when we went from 12 to 14 games..
or from 14 to a 16 game season. Rules today keep players from getting hurt.

Add two more games and 1 more bye week. 20 week season is perfect.

Originally posted by rxrunner:
Originally posted by dman:
BAD

I can only see this as being bad if i were a player, which ofcourse i am, but were talking about FOOTBALL players, which im not,sadly.

with the money they get, how can the b!tch anyways???? mind boggling
I would like to see the roster increased from 53 players to maybe 57 to 58 if they go to an 18 game schedule.
Originally posted by saj4423:
I would like to see the roster increased from 53 players to maybe 57 to 58 if they go to an 18 game schedule.

Roster sizes increasing is a given from what I've read.
Originally posted by 8008:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

two more games wont get anyone hurt...no more than usual.

there wasnt a huge injury spike when we went from 12 to 14 games..
or from 14 to a 16 game season. Rules today keep players from getting hurt.

Add two more games and 1 more bye week. 20 week season is perfect.

it is bad, instead of having 2 or 3 non factor games at the end of the season, we will have at least 4
Bad, I like the drama of preseason. I enjoy following training camp, and picking my favorites, seeing if they can make the cut. Baseball fans say the reason Base ball is better is because the season is so long that it develops story lines. I feel that the preseason is were the NFL story line unfolds.

If there were less preseason games there would be less Kurt Warners, Jeff Garcia and the like, guys who hook on in camp and go on the make the team. (go Alex Boone!)

Lastly to pay an extra two meaningful games, they would need to expand the active roster, which might lead to ultra specialized players, such as the Kick off kicker, and field goal kicker, the third and more than 10 RB, the Nickleback, the who the hell knows what else.

I would however go for either a 15, or 17 game season, I HATE 8-8!!! Gimmie winners and losers!
Share 49ersWebzone