There are 239 users in the forums

Boone or Sims?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Boone or Sims?

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Boone, younger more upside.

what makes you think he has more upside?
Barry Sims showed last season that he could step in at LT and be a dependable pass blocker. I dont't think we can let him go. I would love to keep both Boone and Sims but if it comes down to one or the other I think you keep Sims.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Sims because he has experience
Sims.

Folks here are overrating Boone's value. It's not even close.
Most difficult roster decision the staff has to make. Boone's improved, but I can't forget how solid Sims was in relief for Staley last year. Also makes sense to have him here again in case Staley gets injured or Davis strugges.

Sims.
simms for sure he was solid for us last year and we havent seen boone take valuable snaps dont get me wrong i love his upside but simms is better for the win right now which is what we want to do

im acually intrested in seeing boone play RG if rachal doesnt work out cause we have two hopefully solid starters ( yes im talking to you anthony davis) at the T position so doesnt look like boone will start any time soon
Easy! keep both and cut snyder or wragge. I for one dont care how many positions a guy can play if he sucks at all of them, plus we dont even need that versatility this year.
Staley, Boone, Sims can play either side, though if Davis goes down I would prefer Staley to move right and Sim on the left since he is more comfortable there based on last years results.

That leaves us with Baas, Heitman, and Snyder/Wragge, who can play guard or Center. The only players who dont have versatility at this stage would be Iuppati, Rachal, and Davis.

I mean honestly we've seen what Snyder can do, be the league worst RT, and Wragge can't seem to crack the lineup. Get rid of one of them and keep a good prospect in Boone. Boone doesn't have a chance at PS, he's gotten massive hype this summer and has played pretty well against second stringers which is what has been asked from him. A team with allot of OL questions like Seattle or the Rams would snatch him up in an instant.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Easy! keep both and cut snyder or wragge. I for one dont care how many positions a guy can play if he sucks at all of them, plus we dont even need that versatility this year.
Staley, Boone, Sims can play either side, though if Davis goes down I would prefer Staley to move right and Sim on the left since he is more comfortable there based on last years results.

That leaves us with Baas, Heitman, and Snyder/Wragge, who can play guard or Center. The only players who dont have versatility at this stage would be Iuppati, Rachal, and Davis.

I mean honestly we've seen what Snyder can do, be the league worst RT, and Wragge can't seem to crack the lineup. Get rid of one of them and keep a good prospect in Boone. Boone doesn't have a chance at PS, he's gotten massive hype this summer and has played pretty well against second stringers which is what has been asked from him. A team with allot of OL questions like Seattle or the Rams would snatch him up in an instant.

You can't go into the season with only one backup interior lineman.
  • bret
  • Veteran
If Sims gets cut, he'll wait around unsigned for a team to have a tackle injury. If that team is us, he could be back. By next year, or the year after, for sure, he'll be out of football.

If we cut Boone, he will for sure be signed by someone right away. I would expect Seattle to be at the front of the line. Five years from now he'll be providing a tough match-up as an opponent.

So unless Boone simply shows he doesn't have it (and to me it hasn't looked that way), I would be surprised if he is cut.
Chances of Boone having to step in and play OT this year with Snyder on the team is about 2%. Chances of him being plucked off of the PS, 98%. Drop Sims and if he isn't picked up by another team you can always bring him back in case of an injury.

Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by 5280High:

You can't go into the season with only one backup interior lineman.

I get your point with Heitman being injured so that kind of muddies up the situation. Otherwise you have 5 guards, 3 of whom can play any position along the interior line. There would be shuffling, but I could see it happening.

But fine, keep Boone then. Sims is better right now, but Boone will be better for the long term when considering age and potential. He won't make it to our PS if he is cut, you can bank on that. I would hate to lose a UFA with top 50 potential when he's finally starting to realize it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Cutting Snyder would be another choice but Im just not sold on Chilo as a starter, so it might be good to keep him as a back up plan in case Chilo sucks again.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Sims.

Folks here are overrating Boone's value. It's not even close.

This became less of a Boone v. Sims debate and more of a potential v. experience debate IMO.

I think we could have almost any other OT, and everybody would have said that they'd likely take him over Sims as well.

-9fA
I normally like having veterans like Sims I do but i don't want to see Boone go to the Seahawks and play well for many years. I would rather see them pick up Sims and maybe get one or two seasons.

***Update*** Here's an indication of how popular young offensive tackles are: Denver waived Tyler Polumbus, an undrafted fee agent in 2008, on Wednesday. Three teams made claims for him, Detroit, Houston and Seattle. He landed with Detroit.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/08/whos-winning-du.html#ixzz0xk47ydVR
[ Edited by 49ERGUY on Aug 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
I normally like having veterans like Sims I do but i don't want to see Boone go to the Seahawks and play well for many years. I would rather see them pick up Sims and maybe get one or two seasons.

***Update*** Here's an indication of how popular young offensive tackles are: Denver waived Tyler Polumbus, an undrafted fee agent in 2008, on Wednesday. Three teams made claims for him, Detroit, Houston and Seattle. He landed with Detroit.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/08/whos-winning-du.html#ixzz0xk47ydVR

One thing in Boone's favor is that while he practiced at both tackle positions, I don't believe I've seen where Sims played both sides. Maybe that's a suggestion we'll keep 10 on the OL. Also, figuring who will be inactive on game day is difficult.
Guess:
1. N. Davis
2. Zeigler (or Williams if he's not healthy)
3. Boone
4. Heitmann (until he's healthy, then Snyder)
5. Brooks (until he's healthy, then Briggs or LaBoy)
6. RJF (at least against passing teams when we won't need 2 NTs)
7. Taylor
8. Adams (or James, depending on who makes the team)

I don't see how Snyder can be let go at least until Heitmann returns. Since Norris has limited ability on Special Teams I hope Sing goes with Miller or Caulcrick.
Share 49ersWebzone