There are 227 users in the forums

Boone or Sims?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Boone or Sims?

Quote:
Offensive line. This one is tougher to call. Last year the 49ers went into the season with nine offensive linemen on their active roster. The starters right now are, from left to right, Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, David Baas, Chilo Rachal and Anthony Davis. Eric Heitmann's leg injury is not long-term, so he's No. 6. Tony Wragge can play all three interior positions and is needed as a backup center while Heitmann is out. Adam Snyder can play all five positions. That means if the 49ers go with nine again this year, they'd have to decide what is more valuable: Barry Sims' experience or Alex Boone's potential. Boone is practice-squad eligible.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/08/whos-winning-du.html

I don't think we keep more than nine lineman this year, and because of the media exposure Boone has received, I'm not sure he doesn't get picked up by another team. So the choice becomes who do we keep? Sims performed admirably last year when Staley went down, but he's 35 and Boone could be even better than Sims and has played well this preseason. However I think the team goes with Sims because they know just what they have. Or we could just cut both and use Nate Davis as Tackle because he throws bombs.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Aug 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM ]
Sims because he's played very well against first string starters. I was surprised that he only signed a 1 year contract.

The additional media coverage hasn't made it more likely that Boone would get picked off from the practice squad. I'm pretty sure most scouts would have heard about Boone before his On The Fringe series appearances. Boone still needs more development IMO.

-9fA
Sims played like an absolute stud at left tackle for us last year when Staley went down. Still, I want Boone. We're trying to build a young team that will contend for the Superbowl year in and year out, and we're going to need quality young players for that to become a reality. Boone could be part of that, and I can tell Boone wants to be a part of that based on the work he has put in.
boone
Boone won't make the practice squad. If he doesn't make the 53 man roster, some other team will grab him. He has a lot of potential and seems focused to turn his life around. I would choose Alex Boone. You don't know for sure how much Barry Sims has left in him?
Sims is a good LT backup. Boone is practice squad.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Very true but Sims is 35 years old. Boone has played well and is 23. I'd hate to lose him if we put him on the PS.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

The world is flat?
Keep them both, but dump Snyder. Heitman, Bass, Wragge can all do back-up duties at guard.
Don't see how anyone can go Sims if it comes down to those two. Sims isn't a starter and if Staley goes down, do you really think the odds of us winning a championship this year and the odds of Staley going down at the same time outweigh us keeping a young and developing potential stud?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Boone, younger more upside.
Sims.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Boone, younger more upside.
Originally posted by mr_congeniality:
Keep them both, but dump Snyder. Heitman, Bass, Wragge can all do back-up duties at guard.

Give this man a cigar!
I'm easily going Boone over Sims. Boone is probably a better RT option already over Sims, but he has looked pretty good at LT.

I like Wragge as the top backup at the interior spots, so yes, keep Sims and Boone. Say g'bye to Snyder. Trade him to Seattle for a later round pick.

Or we can actually get by with keeping 10 OL this year. It is not unheard of...

Share 49ersWebzone