Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by pdxredandgold:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Smith exhibited a Joe Montana-like cool

Talk about exaggeration!

What makes you think it was exaggeration? Your personal feelings about Smith, or did you see something that no one else did? He did look cool, calm and collected during that drive. He wasn't breaking the pocket and playing wild, he made good reads and threw the ball accurately. This was against the first team D, I guess since he didn't go all madden and throw a 60 yard bomb behind Ginn he isn't any good.

I feel like you're presuming a lot with your comments.

I'm not willing to compare Smith engineering a drive in the preseason to the greatest QB ever.

if im not mistaken i dont think they are comparing the drives they are comparing the composure of the two players which IMO is ok

+1, /thread

But don't you think that's a stretch? I'm all for AS succeeding and hopefully becoming a great NFL QB but I think that comparison is a bit much. No biggie, just a quote in an article.
Omg the sky is gonna fall cuz they compared a attribute that Joe has and compared It with alex.... Too bad it's only Fallin fit the haters cuz they know they wrong.'
Originally posted by Aacadena:
Omg the sky is gonna fall cuz they compared a attribute that Joe has and compared It with alex.... Too bad it's only Fallin fit the haters cuz they know they wrong.'

cuz all dis hatin be fallin fir OMG
I don't think the comparison is a big deal. The writer had to be creative when explaining Smith's coolness and Joe Montana is the first person anyone should think of when explaining a QB's coolness. I'm sure the writer knows Smith is NOT Montana.

With that said, I'm sure a lot of other people defending the comparison would flip the Fk out if someone compared say, Aaron Rodgers to Joe Montana in the same sense.

Talk about exaggeration!

What makes you think it was exaggeration? Your personal feelings about Smith, or did you see something that no one else did? He did look cool, calm and collected during that drive. He wasn't breaking the pocket and playing wild, he made good reads and threw the ball accurately. This was against the first team D, I guess since he didn't go all madden and throw a 60 yard bomb behind Ginn he isn't any good.

I'm not willing to compare Smith engineering a drive in the preseason to the greatest QB ever.

if im not mistaken i dont think they are comparing the drives they are comparing the composure of the two players which IMO is ok

+1, /thread

+2

"ESQUE" as in reminiscent of. All that was said was that AS was calm under pressure on one drive, which is what Joe nearly always was. Nothing more.
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Aug 26, 2010 at 10:03 AM ]
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
Excellent article

During Smith's 70-yard opening touchdown drive Sunday night against Minnesota, his radio communication with the coaching staff went dead...And despite the hitch, Smith exhibited a Joe Montana-like cool in completing 5 of 6 passes for 59 yards in a 12-play march that eventually resulted in Anthony Dixon's 4-yard touchdown scamper.

"Since his Helix high school days in San Diego, Smith always relied on the coach to call the plays. But now in some hurry-up situations, Smith makes the call."

hey do they show the niner games in canada?

Now if only he could throw a 60 yards pass against a third team defense he could get Nate-like elite status

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
OMG, ALEX SMITH JUST TOOK A s**t, SOMEONE, QUICK, START A THREAD!!

You've got to be f**king kidding me.

Talk about exaggeration!

I gotta disagree with parts of both of you. I think the comparison should not be considered sacrilegious, as it is simply a comparison of a single trait exhibited in a single drive. I didn't read into it that he was saying Alex Smith is equal to Montana. In fact, if the radios were out, it makes that drive all the more impressive as I get the distinct impression that Smith normally doesn't even call audibles very often. So calling his own plays is likely not something he is used to.

On the other hand, as long as there's a dig on Davis, I'll respond to that as well. It's one thing to say that one 60 yard pass does not indicate that Davis is the next great QB, true. But it is something all together different to change what happened to make it somehow a bad throw. The ball was not thrown behind Ginn. I watched that replay several times. The replay I saw most shows Davis releasing the ball, then switches view to Ginn who sees the ball in air, slightly increases his speed for a bit, and then slows some taking a bit of a stutter step as the ball falls into his hands. It was not behind him. There was a minor adjustment in speed, but nothing more. It doesn't mean he's the best thing since sliced bread, but no matter how you slice it, that was a damn nice throw.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d819f2830/That-s-an-arm

Talk about exaggeration!

+1, /thread

But don't you think that's a stretch? I'm all for AS succeeding and hopefully becoming a great NFL QB but I think that comparison is a bit much. No biggie, just a quote in an article.

If I cut my hair like Joe Montana's...I have Montana-esque hair...if I have a similar throwing delivery as Joe Montana...I have a Montana-esque delivery.

You're looking waaay too deeply into a minor comparison. He was cool under pressure, as was Joe Montana throughout his career.

He didn't say he has Montana-like career potential.
Com'on guys just chill. I think Smith can be composed as any QB in the league, however, he needs to do it on more consistent basis. He can't be Joe cool one series or game then Leaf like the next. So until he is consistent in the regular season, any comparison to Joe just cause they are both niners is inane. Just let the kid play and his own way so that we can see if he belongs and stays a niner.

Originally posted by WildBill:
Com'on guys just chill. I think Smith can be composed as any QB in the league, however, he needs to do it on more consistent basis. He can't be Joe cool one series or game then Leaf like the next. So until he is consistent in the regular season, any comparison to Joe just cause they are both niners is inane. Just let the kid play and his own way so that we can see if he belongs and stays a niner.

Amen.
Smith > Montana... WHO WANTS SOME!

But seriously, I loved the Nate Davis level of respect comment - it's complete bullsh*t! That dude goes 6/15 54 yrds without that lucky hailmary pass that WAS behind Ginn - don't know what play you were watching mrgneissguy but Ginn caught that ball behind him.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran

Originally posted by AZ9er:

Originally posted by AZ9er:

Share 49ersWebzone