LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Singletary's Strange Approach To The Return Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sspiker:
No way we keep Guillory on the 53-man roster as PR only, no matter how well he plays in pre-season. He's barely been involved in the offense, so he's clearly not above Hill or Jones. It'd be amazingly stupid to bump a 5th safety, or a 5th OLB, or a 10th lineman, or Kyle Williams for this guy.

And while I kind of understand the argument of keeping our primary guys safe during the pre-season, this is clearly an issue that needs improvement over last year. We shouldn't be wasting reps on a PS player.

I agree and I think with Kyle Williams out, we should be using the reps for emergency backups not named Ginn who have a chance to make the roster. I'm thinking specifically about Ziegler and Adams.
Here's the reason: Guillory is actually a really good return man when he gets the ball in his hands. He just has to learn how to get under a punt and when and when not to catch one.
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by sspiker:
No way we keep Guillory on the 53-man roster as PR only, no matter how well he plays in pre-season. He's barely been involved in the offense, so he's clearly not above Hill or Jones. It'd be amazingly stupid to bump a 5th safety, or a 5th OLB, or a 10th lineman, or Kyle Williams for this guy.

And while I kind of understand the argument of keeping our primary guys safe during the pre-season, this is clearly an issue that needs improvement over last year. We shouldn't be wasting reps on a PS player.

I agree and I think with Kyle Williams out, we should be using the reps for emergency backups not named Ginn who have a chance to make the roster. I'm thinking specifically about Ziegler and Adams.

Aren't they putting Adams at returning punts today?
i hope he knows what he is doing and kyle williams really impressed him....ginn showed in miami that he could be a dangerous kick returner, which is really the only reason i got excited when we signed him, i have yet to see positive receiver ability from him....the return game could be really important to us this year, a short field could give a qb a huge amount of conifidence.....i hope sing knows something we dont and maybe just isnt showing his hand
It still bothers me that after the blow out in Atlanta that Singletary cut Allen Rossum, a man who didn't even play! He was not 100% then or afterwards, but it made zero sense, especially when you saw our return game after that. To make matters worse, we kept Michael Spurlock, who isn't even on the team anymore.

In my eyes, Bobby Guillory is kind of like this year's Spurlock. A player that is hyped up to be this special player...somehow he ends up on the 53 man roster, and then once we get into the regular season, he's never used in an actual game much less the feared "Taser".
Give Adams more reps!
thank god adams got a chance, it sounded like guillory was gonna get most of the looks during the week
Originally posted by Psinex:
It still bothers me that after the blow out in Atlanta that Singletary cut Allen Rossum, a man who didn't even play! He was not 100% then or afterwards, but it made zero sense, especially when you saw our return game after that. To make matters worse, we kept Michael Spurlock, who isn't even on the team anymore.

In my eyes, Bobby Guillory is kind of like this year's Spurlock. A player that is hyped up to be this special player...somehow he ends up on the 53 man roster, and then once we get into the regular season, he's never used in an actual game much less the feared "Taser".

Rossum got injured even before taking his first kick return when traded to Dallas.
Share 49ersWebzone