LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Tukuafu a possibility LB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
That may be a ridiculous thought, but could it work? He's only a rookie so he has time to learn.

Watching his highlight reel and the way he runs made me think of Levon Kirkland from the Steelers. He was huge and fast and played LB, so why couldn't Tukuafu could be used the same way?

Could he play in the middle on running downs and outside on passing downs?

Does he have the wheels to cover a TE or RB? How hard is it to learn?

You may proceed with the flamings.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
That may be a ridiculous thought, but could it work? He's only a rookie so he has time to learn.

Watching his highlight reel and the way he runs made me think of Levon Kirkland from the Steelers. He was huge and fast and played LB, so why couldn't Tukuafu could be used the same way?

Could he play in the middle on running downs and outside on passing downs?

Does he have the wheels to cover a TE or RB? How hard is it to learn?

You may proceed with the flamings.

We actually tried to stand Soap up a few years ago for certain defensive formations at OLB. It didn't really work because, although guys like him look pretty quick, they can't change direction laterally or move their hips like a smaller linebacker can. Although some defensive linemen look athletic enough to play linebacker, they really aren't.

Kirkland was a rare exception.
it could work, hes athletic enough
hes playing good at DE why change him
Originally posted by solidg2000:

Exactly it makes no sense when we have plenty of LBs already. On top of that we need depth at DE and he looks like he's a great fill in so far. Is Seattle really that stupid to cut that guy? He looks way more productive than Balmer ever was.
NO way lol. he's a D Lineman. If you get the chance to watch the Vikes game again look at him on everyplay he's in. He dogged/slacked off on a couple of plays, and his speed is not a LB speed at all especially on a couple of run plays, he showed better pursuit speed in the indy game
He's got nice quickness and agility for a lineman...would like to keep and develop him on the PS as a situational pass rusher like Ray Mac, whose contract is up after this year, and has a long injury history too.
Originally posted by wailers15:
NO way lol. he's a D Lineman. If you get the chance to watch the Vikes game again look at him on everyplay he's in. He dogged/slacked off on a couple of plays, and his speed is not a LB speed at all especially on a couple of run plays, he showed better pursuit speed in the indy game

I'm surprised to hear he appeared to be slacking. He seems like a high-motor/fiery guy who gets after it. I'll re-watch the game. He may have looked faster at Indy because of the turf.

There was an article that questioned Bowman's ability to replace Spikes and knock back linemen like Spikes can. Spikes is a big dude.

That got me thinking about Tukuafu's size and speed, ability to shed blockers and track down ball carriers in traffic. Just wondered if that was at all realistic or possible for him to be effective as an inside linebacker.
Quick, somebody try this out on Madden!

tukuafu my tongan brotha! he looked real quick and fluid as a DE, but i'm not so sure how he would transition as an OLB. it's worth a shot in preseason
Originally posted by BasharCali49:

Exactly it makes no sense when we have plenty of LBs already. On top of that we need depth at DE and he looks like he's a great fill in so far. Is Seattle really that stupid to cut that guy? He looks way more productive than Balmer ever was.

He is too small for Seattle's DL. Seattle was enthralled to get Balmer because of his size and if he can stay healthy, I expect to see him playing a lot for Seattle, if not starting.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

He is too small for Seattle's DL. Seattle was enthralled to get Balmer because of his size and if he can stay healthy, I expect to see him playing a lot for Seattle, if not starting.

Isn't he only about 265? I thought it was strange they weren't auditioning him at LB, since the 3-4 linemen tend to be bigger. He's definitely looked more active than Balmer.
Originally posted by bret:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

Isn't he only about 265? I thought it was strange they weren't auditioning him at LB, since the 3-4 linemen tend to be bigger. He's definitely looked more active than Balmer.

From Oregon Scouting Report: Height: 6-4 | Weight: 272 | 40-Time: 5.15

Slow as molasses when timed.

Must play faster and take good angles cause he sure seems to get to the ball.
BUT... BUT..... IT WORKED ON MADDEN!!!!

Share 49ersWebzone