Can you see Zeigler becoming our #2?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No I can't. He may not make the final roster.

You need to start paying attention to the team again SanDiego49er, but wait, aren't you like the 49er player hater fan of the decade?

He didn't make the final roster last year.

Or the year before that, or the year before that. (on teams generally devoid of WR talent/depth)

I can't think of an undrafted player that was cut after his first three consecutive training camps making a team and becoming a starter the next year. Especially when the talent/depth of his position on that team has gotten better during that time. That would be pretty remarkable. Making the team would be a nice first step.

Last year an ankle injury solidified his fate on the PS. Year before he was an UFA, needed work coming out of Baylor. But he has put in the work now and is ready to roll. He's our #4 receiver, count it!

You are missing a year. Last year was his third year getting cut, and Hill & Jones made the team even though they were injured and wouldn't be available for weeks into the season. I know that some of that was due to what the team owed Jones and Hill being a 4th round pick the year before but it's not like the team had a lot of talent at WR or Zeigler's injury was going to keep him out for long.

Oops my bad, anyways regardless of what happened in previous years... this is a what have you done for me lately league, and as it stands right now Ziggy has done more than Hill. At the beginning of TC I figured whoever showed up more in preseason would win the spot, Zig has a pretty solid lead right now. Especially with the pass to Hill from Davis against the vikes, the pass was behind and would of required an amazing catch but Hill couldn't pull it in. That was a chance for Hill to earn some applauds in the film room, but didn't.
if he bulks up i can great route running and great hands with excellent hops hes just too small
Originally posted by saniner:
Not our number 2, but definitely a guy that can contribute.
Not right now. He's fighting for the 4th spot, which, in the end, means very little since the Niners rarely put even three WR's on the field.

Jason Hill again looks like the man out. He has to rally at the end of training camp last year to secure a job, and is so far down the depth chart that he didn't even see the field until the second half. If Williams shows anything when he returns, Hill is in deep trouble, since he doesn't return kicks.
Originally posted by 49erFan:
I think the biggest clue that he is a lock to make the roster, comes from the fact he didn't do any punt returning... It appears that Sing doesn't think he needs to standout as a returner to grab a spot.

Or knows that he can't.
I think the biggest clue that he is a lock to make the roster, comes from the fact he didn't do any punt returning... It appears that Sing doesn't think he needs to standout as a returner to grab a spot.

Or knows that he can't.

I suppose you could cast that spin on it too. However, Sing talked about three guys possibly returning punts in the Vikes game. Guillory, Zeigler and Ginn. I think it's more likely that Sing knows what he has in Ginn, and Zeigler.

Or knows that he can't.

I suppose you could cast that spin on it too. However, Sing talked about three guys possibly returning punts in the Vikes game. Guillory, Zeigler and Ginn. I think it's more likely that Sing knows what he has in Ginn, and Zeigler.

Right, he knows that Zeigler has always had problems with it, in camp and in PS games in previous years. Unless he's seen something consistent and special in camp, something he doesn't want to see in games, I doubt he has a lot of confidence in Zeigler as a ST player.

We'll see what happens on Sat in Oakland. I think the Guillory (sp) experiment has run it's course.

Or knows that he can't.

Right, he knows that Zeigler has always had problems with it, in camp and in PS games in previous years. Unless he's seen something consistent and special in camp, something he doesn't want to see in games, I doubt he has a lot of confidence in Zeigler as a ST player.

We'll see what happens on Sat in Oakland. I think the Guillory (sp) experiment has run it's course.

Maybe, maybe not. Have you ever seen the Jags Hard Knocks from 2006? Josh Scobee is the most interesting story in that version of the HBO series. He starts off looking like someone who needs to be cut, but then he gets it in gear by the third game and becomes a very good kicker. The rest is history.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Anyway, I'm high on Zeigler, and up and down with Morgan - mostly because of his inconsistency. What do you guys think, is there any chance Ziggy passes Morgan on the depth chart? I'm interested in hearing other fans' feedback.

I believe Dominique Zeigler has tremendous potential in the slot, but absolutely none as an every down receiver at Split End or Flanker. His inability to block is a liability for a team that plans on balancing the pass and run effectively.

In two seasons (28 games) Josh Morgan has 72 receptions for 846 yards and 6 TDs. They're not terrible numbers, but they're not great either. They break down to 2.5 receptions and 30 yards per game with a less than 25% chance of catching a TD pass.

This statement is incorrect.

Josh Morgan started just one game in 2008.

Singletary switched Morgan to Flanker after the first six games in 2009. He would then go five additional games before recording more than four receptions, doubling his average within the same span.

I'm not ready to write him off after 12 Starts at Flanker.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Anyway, I'm high on Zeigler, and up and down with Morgan - mostly because of his inconsistency. What do you guys think, is there any chance Ziggy passes Morgan on the depth chart? I'm interested in hearing other fans' feedback.

I believe Dominique Zeigler has tremendous potential in the slot, but absolutely none as an every down receiver at Split End or Flanker. His inability to block is a liability for a team that plans on balancing the pass and run effectively.

In two seasons (28 games) Josh Morgan has 72 receptions for 846 yards and 6 TDs. They're not terrible numbers, but they're not great either. They break down to 2.5 receptions and 30 yards per game with a less than 25% chance of catching a TD pass.

Singletary switched Morgan to Flanker after the first six games in 2009. He would then go five additional games before recording more than four receptions, doubling his average within the same span.

Do we know that Zeigler "can't block" or is this just a belief held by the NT? Regardless, I think it is in our interest to have the best route runners and pass catchers on the field at the WR position, not the best blocking WRs...

Do we know that Zeigler "can't block" or is this just a belief held by the NT? Regardless, I think it is in our interest to have the best route runners and pass catchers on the field at the WR position, not the best blocking WRs...

habe you seen his size if he can block a CB that CB needs to be cut from the team i wouldnt put it past it that he is the lightest player in the nfl

Or knows that he can't.

Zeigler has always had problems with it? Can't say I have heard that... In fact, Singletary seems to feel he is reliable back there, if needed.

Link
-Q: Are you looking at Ziegler seriously as a punt returner?

-SINGLETARY: He’s more of an emergency guy for us, but I know that there are a couple things about Ziegler. He’s a very dependable guy. He has been up to this point. So it’s certainly a situation, which if we had to, we would.

As for your doubts that he has confidence in Zeigler as a ST player, you may be interested in this quote from the same link...

-Q: Is it uncommon to have a guy his weight so comfortable going over the middle on routes?

-SINGLETARY: He’s a unique guy. Very unselfish, he doesn’t mind going across the middle or going underneath, doing some of the dirty work. He’s a guy who does everything for us. He wears a lot of different hats.

He can play any of the receiver positions, give us some flexibility and he’s really good on special teams as well.

If you disagree Zeigler should be #2, we can agree on that. If you don't think he is going to make this team, we are going to have to agree to disagree. Injury is the only way we are not going to see Zeigler on the final 53.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

habe you seen his size if he can block a CB that CB needs to be cut from the team i wouldnt put it past it that he is the lightest player in the nfl

Someone already pointed out that he is about the same size as Bruce and Rice. I don't recall them being liabilities on the field.
No. Not until he starts having days like that youngster, Cruz, from the New York Giants (150+ yards 3 TDs in one of their previous pre-season games, and this against NYG's starting corners).

Ziegler has a nice little route run and catch here or there, but let's not get carried away.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
No. Not until he starts having days like that youngster, Cruz, from the New York Giants (150+ yards 3 TDs in one of their previous pre-season games, and this against NYG's starting corners).

Ziegler has a nice little route run and catch here or there, but let's not get carried away.

Can we focus on our team? Here are Josh Mogan's numbers from last year:

52 receptions (13 pre-Crabtree, 39 post-Crabtree), 527 yards, 3 TDs
5 rushes, 61 yards

He should have had 5 TDs and more receiving yards, but two major blunders cost him those potential numbers. In his defense, it was only his second season and most WRs don't break out until the third year. By all means, I want Josh Morgan to play great football this season, but I also want the best player on the field. From what I can tell, Zeigler is a better receiver than Morgan, and that is why I am interested in seeing what other fans think. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of people enter the thread with little information, and unsupported opinions, and just type away.

Can we just have a conversation about what is happening today? Why are fans talking about the past as if it determines the future? That isn't always the case, especially not in football. Look at the Cowboys, Jerry Jones gave away valuable picks for Roy Williams when he had a better receiver in Miles Austin waiting in the wings. Coaches, GMs and owners make mistakes. People's elitism in their opinions annoys the hell out of me... don't they realize it comes from nowhere and adds nothing to the conversation?
[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Aug 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone