LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

Players who stood out from expectations, good and bad.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Players that stood out, in order of expectation/importance.

Good

1) Ricky Jean-Francois – Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... Wow. This guy can REALLY play. It wasn't a fluke. Not only is he big enough, not only is he strong enough, not only is he athletic enough, but he is a really good football player. He plays with great positioning and leverage, he knows just when to shift his weight and make a play. Watch the Willis sack again, RJF deserves half of the credit for that play. He played better today than he played last week, and he played great last week. In fact, the better the competition, the better he plays. The coaches would have to be crazy to ignore this guy the way he is playing. If Francois plays just as good in the next two preseason games, he WILL be the starting nose tackle. That is my prediction. So far, Singletary has singled out players who have been reticent from the facility. Anyone seen Franklin lately?

2) NaVorro Bowman – I honestly try to be objective, without too much of a bias. Maybe I am being clouded with some kind of homer glasses, but this guy looked like the most athletic player on the field. He is insect quick. He looked like a spider zipping around out there. The guy can MOVE. Where do we find these guys? I'm not saying he's a super great football player after one preseason game, but as far as expectations, the kid is SUPER explosive and fluid. They say the coaches envision him and Willis being a super future tandem, now I see what they meant.

3) Anthony Davis – He wasn't perfect, but if he can continue to improve, week-to-week at this pace, we will be fine in the regular season. He was much better in his drops, and many of the plays that looked like they were his fault were really not. He just needs to learn to take a player's momentum and push them around the outside. He is as athletically gifted as any O-lineman in the NFL. Its really just a matter of learning how to drop back, his feet can keep up with anyone.

4) Alex Boone – I didn't even remember to look at him in the last game, but Boone does not even resemble the player he was last year in any way, shape, or form. He is dominant against the level of competition he is facing. He drops back with perfect technique. He moves well and is very good while run blocking too. He is in the game before Sims. Too bad for Sims, but I think Boone has leapfrogged him as our backup LT, and yes, that is a pretty big deal. The wild horse has been broken, and built back up into a stud.

5) Travis Laboy – Perhaps he should be higher on the list. The reason he is not is because he is not only a proven veteran, but he is fresh since he did not participate in most of training camp. He looked good, he flat out beat a good starting LT for a sack, and caused several other pressures. He really showed what he can do. He didn't look so hot holding up to the run however.

6) Alex Smith – He had a good game. He ran up in the pocket to make many of his throws, which is mostly a good sign. He also rushed himself more than necessary at times. He can play, he just needs to shuffle around in the pocket, rather than run around.

7) Phillip Adams – Looked quick and strong to the ball. Roster cuts are going to be tough this year.

8) Isaac Sopoaga – He didn't exceed my expectations, but I want to mention him, because some people are not sure about him. Rest assured, this guy is an immovable rock, he is a big part of the reason we have such a good run defense. We stuck with him, and he developed into a real solid player who is well worth the money we pay him.

9) David Baas – Was able to get good push on the Williams Wall. Was over aggressive on his pass block once or twice.

10) Chilo Rachal – Improved from last weeks performance. He is turning into a serious force in the run game. Him and Iupati are bulldozers. Still has some hiccups in pass pro.

11) Diyral Briggs – Briggs basically had a carbon copy of his game last week. For some reason, I kind of expected it this time.

11) Bobby Guillory – Wow, this guy looks like a great kick/punt return man ...

Bad

1) Bobby Guillory – … except for the fact that he can't field a punt correctly. So much for that.

2) Nate Davis – A little more skittish in the pocket than he was last year. Was not perfect, on the money, with all of his throws the way he was last year. His receivers were on a different page at times; but then again “pages” are not his specialty.
Singletary claims that he did not work hard enough in the off-season to learn the play book.
I hope we don't lose this guy like the Falcons lost Brett Favre.

3) Ted Ginn – The kid can run, but he is not a skilled wide receiver. I don't know if that goes against expectations.

4) Anthony Dixon – Too impatient. Singletary needs to shut his mouth on all the advice and just let this kid play. Let the kid play with his instincts. Save the advice for the linebackers.

5) Mike Iupati – Some chinks in the armor against Minnesota. He still played well, but moved from his position to help out Staley just as a blitzing linebacker was coming into his space. A couple hiccups in the run blocking as well. He still looked great, and I think he should be an All-Pro this year if he keeps progressing.
In fact, I think the opposing players are already developing a case of “Iupatiitis”; all too often a pass rusher will get pushed by him once, only to give up and try his luck with another area of the line.
My expectations are so high with him, I don't think he'll end up in the “Good” category ever again.

To think how far we have come since drafting Alex Smith! We are flooded with talent this year. The way its looking so far, last years draft might turn out to be one of the best drafts in DECADES for the 49ers. Almost all the players have a great shot to make the 53, and many of them have the potential to be stars in the future. The emergence of RJF and Alex Boone is another huge boost.
I swear it seems like there are already about 100 of these threads.
[ Edited by defenderDX on Aug 23, 2010 at 11:30 PM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Do mods merge threads? Regardless, this was a great post and one worth reading.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Do mods merge threads? Regardless, this was a great post and one worth reading.

yes it was well done

but it doesnt matter because its surrounded by dozens of s**tty threads of the same topic.
[ Edited by modninerfan on Aug 24, 2010 at 2:12 AM ]
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
[b1) Ricky Jean-Francois – Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... Wow. This guy can REALLY play. It wasn't a fluke. Not only is he big enough, not only is he strong enough, not only is he athletic enough, but he is a really good football player. He plays with great positioning and leverage, he knows just when to shift his weight and make a play. Watch the Willis sack again, RJF deserves half of the credit for that play. He played better today than he played last week, and he played great last week. In fact, the better the competition, the better he plays. The coaches would have to be crazy to ignore this guy the way he is playing. If Francois plays just as good in the next two preseason games, he WILL be the starting nose tackle. That is my prediction. So far, Singletary has singled out players who have been reticent from the facility. Anyone seen Franklin lately[/b]

Right now, RJF is outperforming his LSU linemates (a number 5 overall and number 3 overall pick). He's in the backfield quite a bit.
Originally posted by Nuns:
[b1) Ricky Jean-Francois – Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... Wow. This guy can REALLY play. It wasn't a fluke. Not only is he big enough, not only is he strong enough, not only is he athletic enough, but he is a really good football player. He plays with great positioning and leverage, he knows just when to shift his weight and make a play. Watch the Willis sack again, RJF deserves half of the credit for that play. He played better today than he played last week, and he played great last week. In fact, the better the competition, the better he plays. The coaches would have to be crazy to ignore this guy the way he is playing. If Francois plays just as good in the next two preseason games, he WILL be the starting nose tackle. That is my prediction. So far, Singletary has singled out players who have been reticent from the facility. Anyone seen Franklin lately[/b]

Right now, RJF is outperforming his LSU linemates (a number 5 overall and number 3 overall pick). He's in the backfield quite a bit.

That really makes it all the more amazing when you think about it. I never thought about the fact that he might overtake those guys. So far, he is. Not only is he in the backfield like you said, but he holds his ground and can shift his weight really quick to disrupt the play. The running backs had to run around him the whole game, or else he would tackle them.
Honestly, he's not just playing at a starter level, he is even better than that. He reminds me of a poor man's Bryant Young (my favorite player of all-time). I can't wait to see him in the regular season. He has performed at his best against the first string o-lines. In case you haven't noticed, I am very high on RJF.

Plus, I forgot to mention Reggie Smith. He made some great tackles out there. He's another player that has emerged with great field presence and body control.
Originally posted by Nuns:

so true and yet so funny. francois is no where near what 7th rd talent, it was just his head that caused him to drop
As much as I have been surprised and happy about RJF's progression, there's no way he starts over Franklin. But he has made the negotiation process for Franklin's deal a little easier for management.

He could be our starter come 2011
Great post & completely agree.

• Antix
  • Veteran
I hope RJF keeps it up. Dude is amazing.
My brother played high school football with Bobby Guillory in Vallejo and I remember watching him play. He has great talent and speed and I'm sure if the niners continue to give him a shot he will suprise a lot of ppl.
[ Edited by El_Imperio on Aug 24, 2010 at 6:49 PM ]
Originally posted by El_Imperio:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Players that stood out, in order of expectation/importance.

Good

1) Ricky Jean-Francois – Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... Wow. This guy can REALLY play. It wasn't a fluke. Not only is he big enough, not only is he strong enough, not only is he athletic enough, but he is a really good football player. He plays with great positioning and leverage, he knows just when to shift his weight and make a play. Watch the Willis sack again, RJF deserves half of the credit for that play. He played better today than he played last week, and he played great last week. In fact, the better the competition, the better he plays. The coaches would have to be crazy to ignore this guy the way he is playing. If Francois plays just as good in the next two preseason games, he WILL be the starting nose tackle. That is my prediction. So far, Singletary has singled out players who have been reticent from the facility. Anyone seen Franklin lately?

2) NaVorro Bowman – I honestly try to be objective, without too much of a bias. Maybe I am being clouded with some kind of homer glasses, but this guy looked like the most athletic player on the field. He is insect quick. He looked like a spider zipping around out there. The guy can MOVE. Where do we find these guys? I'm not saying he's a super great football player after one preseason game, but as far as expectations, the kid is SUPER explosive and fluid. They say the coaches envision him and Willis being a super future tandem, now I see what they meant.

3) Anthony Davis – He wasn't perfect, but if he can continue to improve, week-to-week at this pace, we will be fine in the regular season. He was much better in his drops, and many of the plays that looked like they were his fault were really not. He just needs to learn to take a player's momentum and push them around the outside. He is as athletically gifted as any O-lineman in the NFL. Its really just a matter of learning how to drop back, his feet can keep up with anyone.

4) Alex Boone – I didn't even remember to look at him in the last game, but Boone does not even resemble the player he was last year in any way, shape, or form. He is dominant against the level of competition he is facing. He drops back with perfect technique. He moves well and is very good while run blocking too. He is in the game before Sims. Too bad for Sims, but I think Boone has leapfrogged him as our backup LT, and yes, that is a pretty big deal. The wild horse has been broken, and built back up into a stud.

5) Travis Laboy – Perhaps he should be higher on the list. The reason he is not is because he is not only a proven veteran, but he is fresh since he did not participate in most of training camp. He looked good, he flat out beat a good starting LT for a sack, and caused several other pressures. He really showed what he can do. He didn't look so hot holding up to the run however.

6) Alex Smith – He had a good game. He ran up in the pocket to make many of his throws, which is mostly a good sign. He also rushed himself more than necessary at times. He can play, he just needs to shuffle around in the pocket, rather than run around.

7) Phillip Adams – Looked quick and strong to the ball. Roster cuts are going to be tough this year.

8) Isaac Sopoaga – He didn't exceed my expectations, but I want to mention him, because some people are not sure about him. Rest assured, this guy is an immovable rock, he is a big part of the reason we have such a good run defense. We stuck with him, and he developed into a real solid player who is well worth the money we pay him.

9) David Baas – Was able to get good push on the Williams Wall. Was over aggressive on his pass block once or twice.

10) Chilo Rachal – Improved from last weeks performance. He is turning into a serious force in the run game. Him and Iupati are bulldozers. Still has some hiccups in pass pro.

11) Diyral Briggs – Briggs basically had a carbon copy of his game last week. For some reason, I kind of expected it this time.

11) Bobby Guillory – Wow, this guy looks like a great kick/punt return man ...

Bad

1) Bobby Guillory – … except for the fact that he can't field a punt correctly. So much for that.

2) Nate Davis – A little more skittish in the pocket than he was last year. Was not perfect, on the money, with all of his throws the way he was last year. His receivers were on a different page at times; but then again “pages” are not his specialty.
Singletary claims that he did not work hard enough in the off-season to learn the play book.
I hope we don't lose this guy like the Falcons lost Brett Favre.

3) Ted Ginn – The kid can run, but he is not a skilled wide receiver. I don't know if that goes against expectations.

4) Anthony Dixon – Too impatient. Singletary needs to shut his mouth on all the advice and just let this kid play. Let the kid play with his instincts. Save the advice for the linebackers.

5) Mike Iupati – Some chinks in the armor against Minnesota. He still played well, but moved from his position to help out Staley just as a blitzing linebacker was coming into his space. A couple hiccups in the run blocking as well. He still looked great, and I think he should be an All-Pro this year if he keeps progressing.
In fact, I think the opposing players are already developing a case of “Iupatiitis”; all too often a pass rusher will get pushed by him once, only to give up and try his luck with another area of the line.
My expectations are so high with him, I don't think he'll end up in the “Good” category ever again.

To think how far we have come since drafting Alex Smith! We are flooded with talent this year. The way its looking so far, last years draft might turn out to be one of the best drafts in DECADES for the 49ers. Almost all the players have a great shot to make the 53, and many of them have the potential to be stars in the future. The emergence of RJF and Alex Boone is another huge boost.

My brother played high school football with Bobby Guillory in Vallejo and I remember watching him play. He has great talent and speed and I'm sure if the niners continue to give him a shot he will suprise a lot of ppl.

this isnt high school its the nfl although he did show good speed and quickness (which i liked) he fielded horrrible punts(which i hated) fix that i wouldnt mind him on the team cause from what i saw he will break a couple KR or PR to the house this season (if he plays)
Share 49ersWebzone