LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 399 users in the forums

Zero pressures credited to Baas?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Great to see. It's great having a quality performance from Baas. I wonder at what point the whole Oline will gel?
I like both Baas and Heitman but you can't ignore the push Baas gets on the run game. It feels like the first time in years we can consistently get a push on the DL when they know we are running it. They did "alright" against Min but that is also arguably the top run stuffing line in the league.

Heitman may still excel when defenses get more complicated and show more consistency with the line calls, but for now I'm just happy Baas is showing he can handle the job and can get a good push in the run game. Against the smaller D-Lines in the league, we should be able to go beast mode and run all day!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 5280High:
I like both Baas and Heitman but you can't ignore the push Baas gets on the run game. It feels like the first time in years we can consistently get a push on the DL when they know we are running it. They did "alright" against Min but that is also arguably the top run stuffing line in the league.

Heitman may still excel when defenses get more complicated and show more consistency with the line calls, but for now I'm just happy Baas is showing he can handle the job and can get a good push in the run game. Against the smaller D-Lines in the league, we should be able to go beast mode and run all day!

I agree with you on Baas, it seems like ever since Baas has played these past two games, there's finally room for our QB's to step up into the pocket. But like I've said before, I gotta see more in the regular season to see if he can truly take over as the starter.
Being that we haven't heard anything about Baas, is music to my ears. Means he's doing a good job.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I have said this on a lot of occasions when Heittman kept getting praise yet our protection or push up the middle was lacking: the Center can hide much easier than the other OL. Unless you're a 49ers coach or player who knows the blocking assignments against the defense for each play, then you are in no place to assume who was at fault for the missed block.

I'm all for Baas and don't feel that Heittman can help this OL dominate but I still feel that these observations are not as accurate as they may be.

The Guards and Center rely heavily on combo blocks and who knows who was at fault. All I know is that Baas at Center has provided us with better blocking and space for the QB and RB than we have seen in a long time.

Remember, we were never able to move the line at the Center spot in preseason before this year, even with Larry Allen because Heittman would get stood up and pushed back or no movement at all.

I agree with this. Heitmann was more of a technician and also provided leadership on the line by making the correct calls. With Baas in there, we've got three big uglies who can move the pile and get that crucial 3rd-and-short converted into a first down.

This I agree with
Originally posted by archcity49er:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
We've gone against two teams with basic 4-3 defenses. Wait until we go against a 3-4 defense and watch that pressure number go up.

Ok but a good argument can be made for the front seven of Minn being pretty effing good...

Minnesota's 4-3 defense plays pretty much straight up. If we play a pressure 4-3 team like Philadelphia who likes to run Double A Gap Blitzes and produces pressure up the middle, Baas is going to have a difficult time with that.
Share 49ersWebzone