LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 166 users in the forums

The Importance of Playoff Experience

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As our 2010 season slowly creeps it's way towards us, I wanted to throw a question out there for zoners regarding the importance of playoff experience for this young squad. Due to the dark days we've been through as a team, we've assembled a talented young group of homegrown players with very limited playoff experience. By my count these players have played in a playoff game and won:

Westbrook (eagles)
Laboy (cards)
Lewis (eagles)
Spikes (eagles i think they were in when he was there)
Brian Jennings
Heitmann

Ginn (Dolphins, one and done)

Like most of you I am bubbling with optimism over our chance to get into the playoffs this year. However, once we get there, how will our relative lack of playoff experience effect our players' confidence?

Personally I think that the nature of NFL football's "every game matter mentality" makes the playoff/regular season difference less so then say, basketball or baseball.
Playoff experience didn't matter for the 1981 Niners. They didn't care that they didn't have any.
True but guys like Willis, Gore, VD and especially Smith have none. The good news is if we win our division we would be at home so that will help a lot. On the road I don't think we could win... our o-line would be in the biggest trouble.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 23, 2010 at 4:55 PM ]
Very true, I hope history repeats itself. 2010s = 1980s for us !!!
I see this season has the potential to be like the 2000 Ravens scenario.
Share 49ersWebzone