LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 124 users in the forums

If it comes down to LaBoy or Briggs, Who do we keep?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If it comes down to LaBoy or Briggs, Who do we keep?

Originally posted by superman49er:
Originally posted by titan:
Two of my favorites during pre season. I would like to keep both, but if we don't I would like to keep Briggs.
Laboy would give us a solid player with a good pass rush, but we know what we have and it will only decline with age.
Briggs is young and he may not be as seasoned as LaBoy, but I am curious to see his potential. Either one I wouldn't be mad, but some suggestion on getting rid of Haralson sounds pretty good, but I don't think he is going anywhere.

whats with the hate on haralson...the last 2 seasons hes had 13 sacks for us....tied for best on the team with justin smith

A sack is a great play, sure. The problem is that Haralson doesn't get consistant pressure. Not even close. You have to look at more than just sack totals.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by superman49er:
Originally posted by titan:
Two of my favorites during pre season. I would like to keep both, but if we don't I would like to keep Briggs.
Laboy would give us a solid player with a good pass rush, but we know what we have and it will only decline with age.
Briggs is young and he may not be as seasoned as LaBoy, but I am curious to see his potential. Either one I wouldn't be mad, but some suggestion on getting rid of Haralson sounds pretty good, but I don't think he is going anywhere.

whats with the hate on haralson...the last 2 seasons hes had 13 sacks for us....tied for best on the team with justin smith

A sack is a great play, sure. The problem is that Haralson doesn't get consistant pressure. Not even close. You have to look at more than just sack totals.

Plus, our system is designed for the OLB to rack up the sacks. Look at Manny Lawson with 6.5 last year...
I dont know whats in the Gatorade that our LBs are drinking but DAMN! they all seem to be on it! With it! Got it! Have it! Its just cake for them watching some of the footage from the top string down to the 3rd.

Damn Willis gonna find it hard to rack up the tackles this coming season if what we've seen from the other LBs carry over to the regular season.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Let's wait and see how long Brooks is going to be out.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I say Briggs because of age and health. Laboy looked good but he may get hurt again.

However when is Ahmed Brooks coming back? The Niners may have to keep both
Keep both and get rid of haralson
Originally posted by susweel:
Keep both and trade Lawson before he leaves.

No, Lawson is one of the main reasons the 49er Defense is so stout against the run. Lawson does a really good job of setting the edge on the normally strong side, effectively funneling run plays inside where Willis and Spikes clean up. Compare Lawson's run defense to Haralson's and it clear that Manny is our best OLB, by far.

Manny gets bashed around here a lot. Most bashers look only at his sack totals but there is far more to Manny's game than just sacks. He put up team leading sack numbers as well as doing very well in coverage.

I hope Manny and the team can reach an agreement that keeps him around beyond this year.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Youth is cheap, you can get every year, take some experience, keep LaBoy!

Briggs is more experienced in our system

LaBoy is a seasoned vet, we need all the experience we can get, we have a young roster, LaBoy would be a steady hand. Sure Briggs is younger with more upside, but we can't keep waiting for guys to develop. There will be plenty if Briggses, in next years draft and the one after that! I want to win now!

You can certainly win now with Briggs rather than Laboy, its not like we are talking some starters here these guys would be backups for the other OLBs who are seasoned vets. Give me the guy with more upside and isnt as injury Prone as the other

LaBoy has much more of a pass-rushing presence than Briggs. Besides LaBoy played in a Superbowl recently.

But its LaBoy's health that scare me, dude is freaking Jonas Jennings of LB's. He was never this injured in college, its frustrating to see. Hopefully a year off of football really helped him. That concussion in TC well IMO those are hard to avoid, after all it is a collision sport, everyone gets hit with those once in awhile.
I'd change the poll option and say keep them both and get rid of another non-linebacker. No reason we can't keep both with the amount of lineman we have playing 2 or 3 positions. Plus if they dump Brit Miller (Byham was playing backup FB) then that's another spot.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I'd change the poll option and say keep them both and get rid of another non-linebacker. No reason we can't keep both with the amount of lineman we have playing 2 or 3 positions. Plus if they dump Brit Miller (Byham was playing backup FB) then that's another spot.

What a great problem to have. I would prefer to keep both in case Manny moves on at the end of the year. Still that one roster spot will have to come from someplace else.....................where I do not know.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Both

Haralson may be the one who falls down the depth chart as the season goes on
Originally posted by cools:
Both

Haralson may be the one who falls down the depth chart as the season goes on

OR Manny might leave next year...

I'd like to keep both as well....LeBoy has really impressed me...I always thought he got most of his opportunities because of other good players around him like Bulluck, Vanden Bosch and others....but man he just seems to be a natural pass rusher.

also I think he might have the biggest biceps on the team

edit- ok I might have overreacted....but dude arms looked ef'n big during the game...

[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:59 AM ]
When are we gonna see Manny or Parys play with this type of intensity. Both guys have looked nice I think they need them both
Share 49ersWebzone