LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

What's Wrong With The Running Game?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Originally posted by Kneel_B4_ZOD:
This thread should commit suicide.

Two rookies on the O-line, a new center and a rookie running back going up against one of the best, if not THE best, D-lines in football in a PRESEASON game, where the play calling is going to be a little on the bland side as not to show opposing defenses too much, and you're seriously asking what's wrong with our run game?

Hilarious.
The NIners were ranked 25th in the NFL in rushing. I think Gore played in all but two games last year.

Yeah, you mentioned that. Teams knew were gonna run damn near every time we ran. You'll recall last year that the 49ers O-line was pretty unimpressive.

I heard we drafted a tackle and a guard this year. Maybe they can help, eventually.
its also preseason where running plays are some what very predictable
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Dude they were just as predictable last season! Sing-Ray has a simple plan a VERY simple plan, run between the tackles everyone in the stadium knows it, we will "impose our will" on opposing teams, by being able to run up the gut even when they know it is coming! That is bush league JV play calling circa 1970! That kind of play calling held us back last year and it looks like we are in for more of the same this year.

Whats wrong with our run game simple:

THE PLAY CALLING!

Two rookies on the O-line, a new center and a rookie running back going up against one of the best, if not THE best, D-lines in football in a PRESEASON game, where the play calling is going to be a little on the bland side as not to show opposing defenses too much, and you're seriously asking what's wrong with our run game?

Hilarious.
The NIners were ranked 25th in the NFL in rushing. I think Gore played in all but two games last year.

It won't help IF we keep running up the gut as most plays. What other NFL team runs mostly between the guards and has success? What other NFL team in the last 25 years has even attempted such a strategy? It doesn't matter if you have studs on the line and as R.B's IF the defense knows where the play is going all the time. There is a reason that we don't beat good teams, they have solid players and they know where to stack their players.

Yeah, you mentioned that. Teams knew were gonna run damn near every time we ran. You'll recall last year that the 49ers O-line was pretty unimpressive.

I heard we drafted a tackle and a guard this year. Maybe they can help, eventually.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Dude they were just as predictable last season! Sing-Ray has a simple plan a VERY simple plan, run between the tackles everyone in the stadium knows it, we will "impose our will" on opposing teams, by being able to run up the gut even when they know it is coming! That is bush league JV play calling circa 1970! That kind of play calling held us back last year and it looks like we are in for more of the same this year.

THE PLAY CALLING!

god damn

I thought it was weird I knew every time we were going to run the ball
last night it was play calling

Hilarious.

It won't help IF we keep running up the gut as most plays. What other NFL team runs mostly between the guards and has success? What other NFL team in the last 25 years has even attempted such a strategy? It doesn't matter if you have studs on the line and as R.B's IF the defense knows where the play is going all the time. There is a reason that we don't beat good teams, they have solid players and they know where to stack their players.

A passing game that keeps 8 men out of the box on a regular basis is a good first step. I think we'll see Westbrook run to the outside a lot. I think we have much better personnel to achieve the kind of running game we were trying for last year.

Hilarious.

A passing game that keeps 8 men out of the box on a regular basis is a good first step. I think we'll see Westbrook run to the outside a lot. I think we have much better personnel to achieve the kind of running game we were trying for last year.

Some people read too much in to preseason. Preseason is nothing more than a tryout for the youngsters trying to make the roster. These games don't count in the grand scheme of things. Just look at Indy's preseason record the last few seasons.
Hmmmm Let's see if I can take a stab at it? We have 3/5ths of the line playing a position they haven't played often (or at all) in the NFL, 1/5th that is still learning their job, and 1/5th that is probably pretty good.

Let's see what else we can mix into that.

We have a rookie RB playing most of the game.
We have a TE who is more of a pass catching TE starting.
We have a rookie TE playing FB/TE.

We have two pro-bowler level RBs sitting on the side line because this game doesn't really matter.

We have a pro-bowl TE who is a very good blocker sitting on the bench for the same reason?

We are playing one of the best rushing defenses in the league, even if they are without the fatter Williams guy.

I should probably put in here that we have Alex Smith handing the ball off, since that should get some of the blame shifted to him.

As to even when we have all of these players back MAYBE with the addition of Westbrook we'll have some plays that actually go outside the tackle box.

THE PLAY CALLING!

Jimmy has some aces up his sleeve! Dont sell the man short. My favorite from last year was just a little after the 3:30 mark on this highlight reel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bpMae4OUDI
Originally posted by znk916:
last night it was play calling

I think most forgot that the Vikings Dline is a very active group. They are built in stopping the runb. Also, the Vikings D were run blitzing a lot.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
It's amazing how you can from best running back trio in football to what's wrong with the running game in 4 days.

That's Niner talk for you[/quote]
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

THE PLAY CALLING!

Jimmy has some aces up his sleeve! Dont sell the man short. My favorite from last year was just a little after the 3:30 mark on this highlight reel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bpMae4OUDI

LOL Taser!
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
what the fuk is this shyt?
Share 49ersWebzone