There are 220 users in the forums

Closer look at Game 2 Offense vs Minny

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Jimmy Raye need to mix his first down calling a little bit more, the first series he called runs in all first downs and in the second series he called three runs from shotgun formation in a row.

I know is all about execution but a little PA would be nice.
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:
Good read dissing the Favre fest that was Sunday Night Football:
LINK

Pretty lame read. I mean we are all adults and new that the coverage was gonna be slanted towards Farve. The author is basically doing the samething as NBC. Making things more and more about Farve than anything else. Write about the game if you don't want everything to be centered around Farve.
Originally posted by JCStormbringer:
Jimmy Raye need to mix his first down calling a little bit more, the first series he called runs in all first downs and in the second series he called three runs from shotgun formation in a row.

I know is all about execution but a little PA would be nice.

+1

I was also not thrilled with some of the playcalling. Maybe Raye had his reasons for keeping things conservative... ( worried about OL protection for deep routes? worried since the 3 offensive elites were off the field? ... can't say for sure ) I would like to see us open things up on 1st down and cut back a little on the run, run, short pass. Maybe doing that will make me quickly change my mind, but still... I'm a sucker for the deeper passes.
Nice breakdown, very informative. I was pleased to see the offense take the ball 70 yards on the opening drive for a TD. Smith looked sharp.
2nd Quarter look at offense:

1st and 10 at SF 36 Del.Walker right end to SF 35 for -1 yards (J.Mitchell).
stupid end-around call... Byham too slow to move out and block LB Iaway from play anyway)... Staley did well getting one block, then another... Iupati held up for a few seconds, but was disengaged from... immediately after fake handoff, Dixon should have blocked penetrated DT... Baas engaged 2nd level LB... Rachal and AD got push together on LE... really needed AD to take on the waiting OLB there... stupid playcall with 8 defenders near the LOS.

2nd and 11 at SF 35 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short right to N.Byham to SF 39 for 4 yards (C.Cook). Caught at SF 38.
Iupati helps Staley on RE, but Joe had it fine by himself... Baas and Rachal anchored and contained each DT fine... AD gives up a bit much outside to LE, but manages (could have been flagged for hands around the face area) Vikes often crowding the LOS with extras, but they all drift back at the snap

3rd and 7 at SF 39 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short left to D.Zeigler ran ob at SF 46 for 7 yards. Caught at SF 42.
another fine job by Staley on RE... Iupati gives Baas' DT a shove, then goes for a shot at Staley's man, no need... Baas gets a piece of DT, then stumbles... Rachal going backwards, but stays in front of DT... AD does well washing out LE...

1st and 10 at SF 46 A.Smith pass short right to Del.Walker to MIN 42 for 12 yards (H.Farwell; C.Cook) [F.Evans]. Caught at 50.
good job on RE by Staley... Iupati gets good shove on DT, and DT uses that momentum for wide stunt around... other DT penetrates past Baas' right shoulder and thru Rachal's left... (Baas gets away with a bit of a hold from the back)... AD lunges, just gets a piece of LE... That whole right side makes Alex pay the price. (Dixon sure could have thrown a block over there before running out on a route

Timeout #1 by SF at 08:40.

1st and 10 at MIN 42 A.Dixon right end to MIN 44 for -2 yards (J.Mitchell).
unimpressive cut block Byham, but play was far opposite side... successful Staley cut of RDT... Iupati goes 2nd level, but fails to get angle on LB... Baas and Rachal occupy other DT long enough, though unimpressive... AD can't sustain block outside on RE and Ginn fails to block CB.

2nd and 12 at MIN 44 A.Smith pass incomplete deep right to T.Ginn.
Staley lost ground but anchored okay on RE... Iupati again with quick shove of Baas' man, then turns to uselessly assist Staley... Baas did well enough... Rachal shoved back and then scraps like a little girl, missing DT... AD did well enough... crap play all around... Smith throws it away with no one open.

3rd and 12 at MIN 44 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass incomplete short right to A.Dixon [J.Brinkley].
Staley did fine again... Iupati uselessly comes to help Staley, therefore allowing free rushes from where he once stood... Baas held up well... the LE drops back in a zone while the LDT stands in QB contain... Smith hit as he throws by the blitzers Iupati let through

4th and 12 at MIN 44 A.Lee punts 37 yards to MIN 7, Center-B.Jennings, out of bounds. PENALTY on SF-N.Bowman, Ineligible Downfield Kick, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 44 - No Play.
4th and 17 at MIN 49 A.Lee punts 41 yards to MIN 8, Center-B.Jennings, downed by SF-D.Briggs.
--

1st and 10 at SF 32 A.Dixon right guard to SF 34 for 2 yards (H.Farwell).
Walker and Staley did alright, considering the run was away from them. Iupati stands up and eventually gets a lil push on DT... Baas is able to engage and twist other DT to open a rush lane (wasn't pretty, but it was enough)... Rachal got a sliver of that DT before moving 2nd level for LB... Norris kept his legs churning and at least moved the pile 2 yds... AD shielded of LE just fine... poor lane decision from Dixon, though he did follow his lead FB

2nd and 8 at SF 34 A.Smith pass incomplete short middle to T.Ginn.
Staley did fine on RE... Iupati was instantly beaten around his left shoulder, tries to recover and basically tackles the DT in the back... Baas was also beaten around his right shoulder, DT was an inch from the throwing QB... AD was beaten badly around outside shoulder... Rachal came over to help... Smith stepped away from that before letting loose... The ball was high... hit Ginn in the hands and bounced off.

3rd and 8 at SF 34 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short left to A.Dixon to SF 40 for 6 yards (J.Mitchell).
Staley did fine with RE... Iupati beaten again by a spin move to his right shoulder, got away with another take-down... Baas and Rachal had no issues, were relatively free... AD was giving up too much ground to the power move from LE... between Iupati and AD's fail, Smith steps away from the heat

4th and 2 at SF 40 A.Lee punts 41 yards to MIN 19, Center-B.Jennings. A.Allen to MIN 21 for 2 yards (B.Miller).
--

1st and 10 at SF 25 (Shotgun) A.Dixon up the middle to SF 25 for no gain (J.Brinkley).
Baas can't sustain block of DT... AD hits 2nd level, looks lost, lets LBs come through to make stop...

End of 1st Half
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I am surprised the number of times that Iupati had no one to block. Did the defense think he was too strong, and it was better to send that player to test someone else?
Originally posted by fryet:
I am surprised the number of times that Iupati had no one to block. Did the defense think he was too strong, and it was better to send that player to test someone else?

The defense will already have its scheme and call set to send pressure to certain areas . SF will already have its blocking scheme set too. Iupati (in a zone blocking call) was just carrying out his orders. If he's not man blocking, he'll not be able to engage a stunting DT (as he can not literally phase through his fellow OL next to him anyway). His job will then be to protect his immediate gaps and lend support to his brothers aside him.

... but to answer your question best I can, I think defenses were trying to test out Baas and the right side of our OL as much as possible.
oldman9er, I don't think your going to analyze the 3rd qtr offense.

What did you think of Jehuu Caulcrick's play at FB in the 2nd half?
Thanks
Oldman... posted my thoughts over on FF as well. If you want reply on either forum. Thanks again.

A couple of things that stood out at me as well. I mentioned that I was sick of the reverses as well. Walker isn't fast enough and with the defense knowing we are running it's hard to run them with 8-11 guys in the box. Wink
Very few work for us... most of the time we lose yards and it's killed drives for us in the past. If anyone should run them why not Ginn Jr? Although him being afraid to get hit and the dropsies might be risking too much.

Next thing I saw as well is Dixon tends to want to run out for a pass right away instead of chipping on a block or helping someone for a second and then going. He basically just goes out right away... one time I thought I saw him almost run into Boone and get in the way of his block.

3rd... many times I seen Baas or Iupati helping someone out but then a LB or someone else ends up going in the hole they where suppose to be protecting. Do you know the policy on that? Do you think the coaches say wait in your hole and just make sure nobody comes or do they say nobody is there help someone else?

I also noticed Josh Morgan, doesn't seem to be getting open this preseason.

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Oldman... posted my thoughts over on FF as well. If you want reply on either forum. Thanks again.

A couple of things that stood out at me as well. I mentioned that I was sick of the reverses as well. Walker isn't fast enough and with the defense knowing we are running it's hard to run them with 8-11 guys in the box. Wink
Very few work for us... most of the time we lose yards and it's killed drives for us in the past. If anyone should run them why not Ginn Jr? Although him being afraid to get hit and the dropsies might be risking too much.

Next thing I saw as well is Dixon tends to want to run out for a pass right away instead of chipping on a block or helping someone for a second and then going. He basically just goes out right away... one time I thought I saw him almost run into Boone and get in the way of his block.

3rd... many times I seen Baas or Iupati helping someone out but then a LB or someone else ends up going in the hole they where suppose to be protecting. Do you know the policy on that? Do you think the coaches say wait in your hole and just make sure nobody comes or do they say nobody is there help someone else?

(1st) All good points, I agree. I was already curling a lip at prior play-calls, but that one got an elaborate eye-roll from me.

(2nd) I noticed a bit of this too... but couldn't be certain if he was expected to release right away or block and release. Hard to know the true expectations of every play designed.

(3rd) I'm quite certain that in the blocking scheme, Iupati is responsible for his gap. He looked, didn't think anyone was coming, turned to help Staley, and let free rushers straight in. My question is, how did he NOT see the LB coming toward his gap assignment? These guys have a lot to learn, no doubt.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Aug 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM ]
Thanks oldman, it is really good to read these detailed reports. Looks like the line is improving, and Iupati and Davis are getting valuable reps. I would be interested in your two preseason game conclusions of who will make the final cuts and why. It looks to me like it will come down to Boone versus Sim versus Snyder and or Wragge. It seems to me like Baas, Wragge, Boone, Sims would be the backups in my mind if they wanted to carry 9 Olinemen. I think the league would snap up any of these players if released and I don't think Boone can make it through waivers. So I would rather release Snyder myself. Do you think we will wear out Iupati and Davis with all of the preseason play?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by NoOffseason:
Thanks, great stuff as usual oldman9er, I always look forward to these posts from you

Two suggestions, however: I think with both Anthony Davis and Anthony Dixon having way too similar names, AD might be a little bit confusing as an abbreviation
And please try not to use a Kevan Barlow ever reference again, those bring back bad, supressed memories…

Haha, gotcha on the Barlow issue. I think I'm consistently calling the OT = AD and always call Dixon = Dixon.

glad you liked, NoOffseason + verb1der.

Just use ADHD for one...oh wait, that could mean Nate Davis.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Thanks oldman, it is really good to read these detailed reports. Looks like the line is improving, and Iupati and Davis are getting valuable reps. I would be interested in your two preseason game conclusions of who will make the final cuts and why. It looks to me like it will come down to Boone versus Sim versus Snyder and or Wragge. It seems to me like Baas, Wragge, Boone, Sims would be the backups in my mind if they wanted to carry 9 Olinemen. I think the league would snap up any of these players if released and I don't think Boone can make it through waivers. So I would rather release Snyder myself. Do you think we will wear out Iupati and Davis with all of the preseason play?

I think these plentiful snaps are a must for the rookies, and their conditioning will benefit from the snaps. The staff will be keeping a close eye, so that they are not breaking these guys.

Really having a had time with a few spots... the frustratingly tight fit of the 53 man roster. Predict based on preference VS realistic outcome.

Thanks again oldman. I have questions about Snyder making it. Perhaps my own issues. He is at best a stop gap player in my opinion. I also wonder about Wilhelm, D. Evans, M. Rob as well. I think we have other players that I would rather see than these players, even though they have experience. If I was making the final cut, and of course that must be countered with my lack of total information, I would rather have B. Miller than M. Rob, I would rather have Balgoun instead of Wilhelm, Mitchell than Evans, and would rather have B. Davis on defense instead of Snyder on Offense.
Share 49ersWebzone