There are 324 users in the forums

Davis Just Aint REady......

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by cNiner:
what is with the Nate Davis bashing !

he did in one or half a game more than Alex did in 7 years 65 bomb !

yes mybe he is not ready whos fault the coaches sing is the HC it's his fault. you learn on the field not in practice !

he hit every open WR , go back and see how many drops , yes he needs to know where he is on the field and where is the first down is but that comes with the more playeing time .

lol

It's like I can read your mind.

Doesn't that worry you?

!!
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by valrod33:

yes mybe he is not ready whos fault the coaches sing is the HC it's his fault. you learn on the field not in practice !

he hit every open WR , go back and see how many drops , yes he needs to know where he is on the field and where is the first down is but that comes with the more playeing time .

lol

It's like I can read your mind.

get out of my head
Originally posted by Hollywood:

Not so fast. You are clearly being dazzled by Nate's arm. Don't get me wrong, the kid's got a cannon, but he can't read defenses. And it's more than just not knowing where you are on the field, which btw is not something he will develope with playing time. He should have developed that in High School. The bottom line is, Nate should have been studying his playbook and learning the offense in the off season. Instead, he figured he'd wait till training camp to start learning. This is why Sing is upset with him. The guy has talent but appears to be a little on the lazy side. Sounds alot like Jamarcus Russell. It's not Sing's fault that Nate showed up unprepared. And as far as his only mistake being the missed first down, you are dead wrong. He was playing against a vanilla defense. Yet he still had trouble reading the coverages. How many times did he immediately roll out of the pocket? Nate is no doubt more talented than our other options, but there is more to playing QB than have a great arm. He is raw. QB is played between the ears my friend. If he were our starter, he'd be chewed up and spit out by week 3. No one prep's or studies game film in the preseason. You add that to the equation, and Nate would clearly be in over his head. 1 great throw in preseason does not make this guy our savior. But it appears to have loaded up the Nate Davis should be our starter bandwagon. For the record, I am an Alex Smith hater. No one wants to see Nate Davis grow and succeed more than I do. But it's clear after last night that he is not ready to be the 2nd string. Hopefully the public calling out motivates him.

Well said. I'd go even a step further and question his overall smarts, and that's unrelated to any learning disability. He may never get to the point of being able to read defenses at a high level. Where will that cannon of an arm get him then? I've been rooting for him and hope to God I'm wrong. The apparent lackadaisical off-season effort doesn't help either. He has a lot to prove at this point. Luckily, Smith may surprise those of us in the skeptical seats and barring injury, will allow Davis to sit and learn a while longer.

Not so fast. You are clearly being dazzled by Nate's arm. Don't get me wrong, the kid's got a cannon, but he can't read defenses. And it's more than just not knowing where you are on the field, which btw is not something he will develope with playing time. He should have developed that in High School. The bottom line is, Nate should have been studying his playbook and learning the offense in the off season. Instead, he figured he'd wait till training camp to start learning. This is why Sing is upset with him. The guy has talent but appears to be a little on the lazy side. Sounds alot like Jamarcus Russell. It's not Sing's fault that Nate showed up unprepared. And as far as his only mistake being the missed first down, you are dead wrong. He was playing against a vanilla defense. Yet he still had trouble reading the coverages. How many times did he immediately roll out of the pocket? Nate is no doubt more talented than our other options, but there is more to playing QB than have a great arm. He is raw. QB is played between the ears my friend. If he were our starter, he'd be chewed up and spit out by week 3. No one prep's or studies game film in the preseason. You add that to the equation, and Nate would clearly be in over his head. 1 great throw in preseason does not make this guy our savior. But it appears to have loaded up the Nate Davis should be our starter bandwagon. For the record, I am an Alex Smith hater. No one wants to see Nate Davis grow and succeed more than I do. But it's clear after last night that he is not ready to be the 2nd string. Hopefully the public calling out motivates him.

Can't read defenses? He showed just as much ability to read defenses than any other QB; if not more. CC even pointd out his fake to move the safety on one play which I have NEVER seen Alex do. What RU talking about???????

Alex faces a 3rd and 8 and will dump a pass to the back coming out of the backfield. At least Davis attempts to get the first down.
[ Edited by ttime1 on Aug 23, 2010 at 10:39 AM ]
Originally posted by ttime1:

Can't read defenses? He showed just as much ability to read defenses than any other QB; if not more. CC even pointd out his fake to move the safety on one play which I have NEVER seen Alex do. What RU talking about???????

Alex faces a 3rd and 8 and will dump a pass to the back coming out of the backfield. At least Davis attempts to get the first down.

??? alex had more first downs than davis and on fewer attempts too remember in the third quarter morgan and ginn were still in against the 3rd stringers alex had the same O with 1st stringers and after the forst drive all we did were draw plays and nate didnt do that good of a job against the D he just had one big throw and that was it and the playcalling went in his favor too
  • Mex49
Somebody should remind Sing it is year 6 for smith and he is now just coming into his own.

Sing sounds like he had his feelings hurt and a little b***hy imo

Alex marched down the field against the vikings 1st string D for a TD.
Nate threw one great pass and was shaky for almost every other play. Granted that one pass is something alex cant do but that 3rd down run where he didnt know where the first down marker was is unexcusable. Nate lives off of a cannon arm where as Alex looks to be doing a lot more of the little things to run an offense.
Originally posted by Mex49:
Somebody should remind Sing it is year 6 for smith and he is now just coming into his own.

Haven't we beat this horse to death already. You don't go and buy a Bentley and then put cheap gas in it, just like you dont draft a #1 overall QB and then throw 6 different OC's at him. The niners mishandling of Alex is the true failure up till now IMO. If Alex fails this year (not because of injury) then he truly is a failure but this year is the first true chance he has been given up till now due to a litany of reasons (crap WR's, injuries, multiple OC's, horrible pass protection, etc etc etc). Alex is also only 3 years older than Nate which might be a suprise
Originally posted by walker807:

Nate threw one great pass and was shaky for almost every other play. Granted that one pass is something alex cant do but that 3rd down run where he didnt know where the first down marker was is unexcusable. Nate lives off of a cannon arm where as Alex looks to be doing a lot more of the little things to run an offense.

I agree that Alex played well on that first drive. He also had opportunities to convert additional first down and did not; in particular when he dumped off a pass to a RB when they needed more yards for the first down. I also agree that Davis' dive was short; but he also converted more than one first down beyond the bomb that he threw. Bottom line, to suggest that Davis is incapable of reading defenses is false to the point of being stupid. You do not get to this level or even the college level without being able to determine who to pass the ball to.

yes he can't read defensive coverages and he doesn't know how the recievers routes are going to change compared to the look they get. Every route a reciever runs is conditional to if he has individual press coverage, inside shading, safety help, cover two, cover three, man/man and so on. Till this point Davis had been playing madden football where ever route was predetirmend and not conditional on the defenese. A prime example was the errant throw to Ginn in the redzone. Ginn plays with the 1's he adjusted his route and made it a dig on the goalline where davis through it to the corner. Presuming the reviever I am assuming davis through the wrong route based ont he coverage, plus If i remember correctly the cb was playing the sideline and the saftey was coming in over the top, so I'm guessing Ginn made the correct read.

Originally posted by Mex49:

Right and the reason Alex is still here is because he conitnually worked his ass off each each season and off-season... This is what Sing was trying to tell him. Parapharasing I heard it this way, you have time to develop but you have to put the work in, your not being carried this is big boy land.

Were you trying to argue the opposing view or did you just not put it together.
Originally posted by Shorteous:

yes he can't read defensive coverages and he doesn't know how the recievers routes are going to change compared to the look they get. Every route a reciever runs is conditional to if he has individual press coverage, inside shading, safety help, cover two, cover three, man/man and so on. Till this point Davis had been playing madden football where ever route was predetirmend and not conditional on the defenese. A prime example was the errant throw to Ginn in the redzone. Ginn plays with the 1's he adjusted his route and made it a dig on the goalline where davis through it to the corner. Presuming the reviever I am assuming davis through the wrong route based ont he coverage, plus If i remember correctly the cb was playing the sideline and the saftey was coming in over the top, so I'm guessing Ginn made the correct read.

Very possible, even likely that Ginn made the correct read on that play. But you can give examples like that for any QB. Smith to VD last week, for example. Maybe he can't read defenses, but based on one half of play in the appropriate setting is hardly a sufficient data set to say that definitively. I mean, really. With the amount of reps he has gotten since getting in the NFL, he's expected to make every play his first time against higher competition?

I believe he will be a very good QB in the NFL, and I am on the Davis bandwagon, but I try to have realistic expectations for him. Even the stars of today made those same rookie mistakes. I see it as showing that he still has work to do, but I don't see it as damning evidence that he'll never amount to anything.
Originally posted by walker807:

I agree that Alex played well on that first drive. He also had opportunities to convert additional first down and did not; in particular when he dumped off a pass to a RB when they needed more yards for the first down. I also agree that Davis' dive was short; but he also converted more than one first down beyond the bomb that he threw. Bottom line, to suggest that Davis is incapable of reading defenses is false to the point of being stupid. You do not get to this level or even the college level without being able to determine who to pass the ball to.

I can assure you the defensive packages and schemes are far more complex in the NFL than those at the collegiate level. If they weren't, you wouldn't have so many busts at the position.
Originally posted by 9erred:
This article is written by a puppet writer trying to impress the 9er brass and not create a qb controversy.

I think Nate Davis has the highest upside of any QB on the niners roster. It is up to the coaching staff to work with him year around to make it happen.

Nate Davis reminds me of Jeff Garcia, (the last winning qb for the niners). He did not practice well, but he was a winner.

Davis has to want it. And he is the only person who is in control of that.
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:
Originally posted by Shorteous:

Very possible, even likely that Ginn made the correct read on that play. But you can give examples like that for any QB. Smith to VD last week, for example. Maybe he can't read defenses, but based on one half of play in the appropriate setting is hardly a sufficient data set to say that definitively. I mean, really. With the amount of reps he has gotten since getting in the NFL, he's expected to make every play his first time against higher competition?

I believe he will be a very good QB in the NFL, and I am on the Davis bandwagon, but I try to have realistic expectations for him. Even the stars of today made those same rookie mistakes. I see it as showing that he still has work to do, but I don't see it as damning evidence that he'll never amount to anything.

I'm not argueing against davis or on any wagon, but I do know the reason he has been playing 3rd teamers is because he doesn't know the play book. Not knowing the playbook isn't not knowing what a 1 or 5 route is. The 3rd stringers play straight up line up and go football, they are not making the type of adjustments that the 1st teamers get. What do you think when they say he doesn't know the play book? You think he just doesn't know what 70% of the plays are or something? Flash cards would fix taht problem in about 2 days, it's what happens when the players go to the line of scrimmage. When the reciever reads press cover 3 and decides he needs to adjust his route accordingly. This is what he doesn't know about the play book is.

He knows what double cross, garfinkle dagger is lol he just doesn't know what the flanker is doing if the defense is in cover 2. This is what they mean by knowing the playbook and it is very well documented that he barely knows the play book, this means he can't read and react he can just go play football which is great but isn't going to land you a starting job on the 9ers. He knew where to throw the football and had that been Gilrouy running that route that's where he would have gone but it was to Ginn (if i'm not mistaken) and he knew to adjust the route. I was very encouraged by what I saw of davis, I think he's the better option as #2.

Finally when they tell us he doesn't know the playbook, it doesn't mean that when he plays madden he doesn't know which plays are i formation.

What do you think it means when they say he doesn't know the playbook? What do you think it means when Alex says he was seeing the defense and the whole field? You think his helmet just wasn't covering his eye's anymore or possibly he knew what the defense was going to do before they did it and he knew where all the recievers are going to be.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Aug 23, 2010 at 11:33 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone