LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 215 users in the forums

Sing's Coaching Style - is motivating players enough?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hey, there's this great "X's and O's" coach with some NFL experience at a SEC University. His forte is coaching QBs and he's done a really good job with College QBs.

There's also this guy at another SEC University that has NFL experience and is known as one of the defensive masterminds.

Then theirs this guy that is a HOF LB but never was a head coach of anything. Some people think he's not an X and O guy, but just a motivator.

How I ask you, would you rather have Sing or Bobby (Leavin on a midnight Train from Georgia) Petrino or Nick Saban as your HC. If your having difficulty making up your mind just ask a Falcon or Dolphin fan. They might be able to give you some background.
[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Aug 23, 2010 at 3:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Scene: Davis just whiffed on a speed rusher.

OL coach: Davis, you are lunging foward and taking large steps. Keep your base under you and shorten your steps. Don't worry, the rusher must turn the corner sooner or later and he has a greater radius to get around. You have a smaller radius needed to pivot and trust that because you will be able to cut him off to throw his rush further upfield as he turns the corner.

Davis: Thanks coach. I need to keep reminding myself of that rather than trying to chase the rusher at his radius.

Coach Singletary comes in: Anthony! Look at me! Stay low! No young buck, look at me! Do you think you can block your man? Cause if you don't...look at me young buck...cause if you don't, then tell me now and I will put you back in when you can! Son, let me see your eyes! Can you do it?

Davis: [nodding] Yes.

Singletary: Now son, look at me! Can you block this man...cause if you can't...tell me now.

Singletary: Young buck...let me know if you can't do this! Stay low.

I'm sorry, but that's pop warner coaching by Singletary. The main thing Singletary has going for him is his consistency, honesty, and appreciation for his players.

Originally posted by Joecool:
Scene: Davis just whiffed on a speed rusher.

OL coach: Davis, you are lunging foward and taking large steps. Keep your base under you and shorten your steps. Don't worry, the rusher must turn the corner sooner or later and he has a greater radius to get around. You have a smaller radius needed to pivot and trust that because you will be able to cut him off to throw his rush further upfield as he turns the corner.

Davis: Thanks coach. I need to keep reminding myself of that rather than trying to chase the rusher at his radius.

Coach Singletary comes in: Anthony! Look at me! Stay low! No young buck, look at me! Do you think you can block your man? Cause if you don't...look at me young buck...cause if you don't, then tell me now and I will put you back in when you can! Son, let me see your eyes! Can you do it?

Singletary: Now son, look at me! Can you block this man...cause if you can't...tell me now.

Singletary: Young buck...let me know if you can't do this! Stay low.

I'm sorry, but that's pop warner coaching by Singletary. The main thing Singletary has going for him is his consistency, honesty, and appreciation for his players.

Not when it is one of the all-time greats saying it to you it isn't.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by mayo63:
I love Sing, I can't think of one negative thing to say about him. For someone with no prior head coaching experience, I think he's doing a fantastic job.

with all respect, i dont think he's fantastic. right after the game and just today, all i hear is negative statements about Nate Davis. i think Nate did a pretty good job to be a 3rd string qb. those comments will not help Nate or anybody at all. and i careless wheter Nate is the 3rd or 2nd qb, Sing should not be talking like that about any player.
i remember last year, Alex made some poor decisions during games, and i dont remember Sing. talking bad about Alex. he always had an excuse for him

good points. I wondered the same.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Hey, there's this great "X's and O's" coach with some NFL experience at a SEC University. His forte is coaching QBs and he's done a really good job with College QBs.

There's also this guy at another SEC University that has NFL experience and is known as one of the defensive masterminds.

Then theirs this guy that is a HOF LB but never was a head coach of anything. Some people think he's not an X and O guy, but just a motivator.

How I ask you, would you rather have Sing or Bobby (Leavin on a midnight Train from Georgia) Petrino or Nick Saban as your HC. If your having difficulty making up your mind just ask a Falcon or Dolphin fan. They might be able to give you some background.

more webzone faulty logic: 2 unsuccessful HC's have lots of X's and O's experience, therefore having X's and O's experience is an undesirable thing and we should be thankful that Sing doesn't have it. With that logic, we also wouldn't have had Walsh!
He has our team winning more often than not, and players respect him. I expect Singletary to be a head coach in the NFL for many years to come, and I'm sure he'll improve at this craft.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Listening to his miked up commentary last night in the Viking's game, I was less impressed than enamored. I didn't hear any real "gold nuggets" from him to the players on how to play better, just motivational pep talks and expectation setting discussions. The only advice I heard him give was identical to both Iupati and Davis: "play lower for leverage", which left me wondering if they had the same issues or if he had limited advice giving capability. His motivational style may be just what is needed if you have a really strong OC and DC in place, IDK. What do you guys think?

So you're basing your judgement of his ability to teach and motivate players on a few sound bites during a preseason game?

Are you kidding me?

not only that but hes not even paying attention to the sound bites. did you not notice that every time he had to coach a player up the player would make a big play right afterwards.. remember when ginn dropped the 1st pass and coach came up to him then he made the big play. hell even the announcers were talking about how well the motivational speeches were working.
I love Sing, I can't think of one negative thing to say about him. For someone with no prior head coaching experience, I think he's doing a fantastic job.

with all respect, i dont think he's fantastic. right after the game and just today, all i hear is negative statements about Nate Davis. i think Nate did a pretty good job to be a 3rd string qb. those comments will not help Nate or anybody at all. and i careless wheter Nate is the 3rd or 2nd qb, Sing should not be talking like that about any player.
i remember last year, Alex made some poor decisions during games, and i dont remember Sing. talking bad about Alex. he always had an excuse for him

it sounds like nate didnt come to camp ready just like what sing said today. And if i remeber correctly the matts said something about that in camp.
Originally posted by Ajanke:
Listening to his miked up commentary last night in the Viking's game, I was less impressed than enamored. I didn't hear any real "gold nuggets" from him to the players on how to play better, just motivational pep talks and expectation setting discussions. The only advice I heard him give was identical to both Iupati and Davis: "play lower for leverage", which left me wondering if they had the same issues or if he had limited advice giving capability. His motivational style may be just what is needed if you have a really strong OC and DC in place, IDK. What do you guys think?

Very hard to form an opinion of it based off of the selective scenes that NBC decided to show. I don't think it's an issue.

Good comment my thoughts exactly. Given how biased they were all night I doubt they showed us everything. Apparently the whole team is sold on Sing and have bought into him so I'm not worried one bit

It seems some people tend to lean toward negative type threads rather than positive ones,what is up with these so called "49er fans"?

Nothing wrong with him at all in my opinion and talking straight up to the rookie KR/PR I thought was pretty cool of him.
He reminds me a lot of Dusty Baker who used to manage the SF giants-man to man with his players and no bs.

Go Niners

As an NFL team with SB aspirations, I trust Coach Singletery and Coach Manusky. Coach Raye, on the other hand, is an enigma. Is he a genius who has never won a SB, is he a mediocre Coach with 33 years experience, or what is he? Coach Raye has to have SOMETHING up his sleeve, and whether it was relevant in 1952 doesn't matter because it may have come full circle and be relevant NOW. This season will tell me alot about Coach Raye, and whether we keep him for a third season (or more).
It's also absolutely foolish to judge anything more a few select sound bites. Nobody here knows the work that Singletary puts in behind the scenes. So this thread is really founded on nothing more than baseless speculation.

-9fA
Overall Singletary is a good coach who brings invaluable experience, credibility and perspective as a Hall of Fame player and Super Bowl winner. However, he has a tendency to be too bombastic such as the pants dropping incident.

I think his handling of Nate Davis has been poor, from the lack of reps to publicly calling him out. If he wins then he's a ballbusting motivator, if he loses then he's an empty suit jack**s like Nolan whole lose the players.

But I'll say this, Singletary is such a big personality that whomever follows him as HC better be an A-lister (Dungy, Cohwer, Fox,Schottenhiemer, etc.)
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

it sounds like nate didnt come to camp ready just like what sing said today. And if i remeber correctly the matts said something about that in camp.

our starting qb does not seem to be ready on game day, so what?? he never says anything about that.
just---- "we're moving foward"
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

our starting qb does not seem to be ready on game day, so what?? he never says anything about that.
just---- "we're moving foward"

You're just as bad as the smith lovers

Davis admitted to not being prepared enough.
Share 49ersWebzone