LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Sing's Coaching Style - is motivating players enough?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Listening to his miked up commentary last night in the Viking's game, I was less impressed than enamored. I didn't hear any real "gold nuggets" from him to the players on how to play better, just motivational pep talks and expectation setting discussions. The only advice I heard him give was identical to both Iupati and Davis: "play lower for leverage", which left me wondering if they had the same issues or if he had limited advice giving capability. His motivational style may be just what is needed if you have a really strong OC and DC in place, IDK. What do you guys think?
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Well most of the other comments you're referring too are stuff they practiced. Why go over something they already know during the game?

Iupati Holding
The Returner dropping the ball
Missed Tackles

Those are things that are practiced. They just need a reminder for those types of things.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Listening to his miked up commentary last night in the Viking's game, I was less impressed than enamored. I didn't hear any real "gold nuggets" from him to the players on how to play better, just motivational pep talks and expectation setting discussions. The only advice I heard him give was identical to both Iupati and Davis: "play lower for leverage", which left me wondering if they had the same issues or if he had limited advice giving capability. His motivational style may be just what is needed if you have a really strong OC and DC in place, IDK. What do you guys think?

Very hard to form an opinion of it based off of the selective scenes that NBC decided to show. I don't think it's an issue.
He sure did freak that punt returner out. "If you don't think you can catch every ball tell me now and I'll put you back in when you think that you can."
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TheNef77:
Well most of the other comments you're referring too are stuff they practiced. Why go over something they already know during the game?

Iupati Holding
The Returner dropping the ball
Missed Tackles

Those are things that are practiced. They just need a reminder for those types of things.

it's not fair for me to compare Sing to someone like Walsh, but the snippets I've heard from Walsh on the sideline were almost always more strategic than tactical. Instead of "you've got to catch the ball, son" it was more like "the next time you see the cornerback read like that, you have to fake right so he bites on the play."

That said, I'm happy if Sing's style results in wins. I'm just not sure if his style is enough.
He's not a fancy intellectual, coach speak kind of guy. He's just very blunt and honest and I think the players appreciate that.

He doesen't play mind games like some coaches.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I love Sing, I can't think of one negative thing to say about him. For someone with no prior head coaching experience, I think he's doing a fantastic job.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Aug 23, 2010 at 6:38 AM ]
I loved that but the young man was so scared he caught the ball on the one-yard line.
One good thing about it, the young man knows his job is on the line so he better know the rules, catch the ball, and concentrate on what he's doing. I think it's good to be constructively critical.
Originally posted by Youngone:
He sure did freak that punt returner out. "If you don't think you can catch every ball tell me now and I'll put you back in when you think that you can."
So far I've seen improvement which = winning.
he must be doing something right, did you hear Westbrook's interview? He had the chance to play with his friend/career long teammate McNabb, and his brother with a proven coach in Mike Shannahan, while staying in the same area he has lived most of his life. His comments were something along the line of, I really respect coach Singletary and everything he is doing with this team that is filled with young talent....

Bill Walsh is gone and he ain't coming back. George Seifer is gone and who wants him back? Steve Mariucci is gone and who needs him back? Dennis Erickson and Mike Nolan are gone and who needed them in the first place?

This is Mike Singletary's year to prove he's a head coach in the NFL. We know he's a motivator and not a "X" and "O" guy, but there have been a lot of successful coaches that fell in the same category.

It's the preseason and it's too soon to make judgments on Sing's coaching style. Motivating players may not be enough but until you do none of that other stuff much matters.
[ Edited by Ohio49er on Aug 23, 2010 at 6:39 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ohio49er:
Bill Walsh is gone and he ain't coming back. George Seifer is gone and who wants him back? Steve Mariucci is gone and who needs him back. Dennis Erickson and Mike Nolan are gone and nobody needed them in the first place.

This is Mike Singletary's year to prove he's a head coach in the NFL. We know he's a motivator and not a "X" and "O" guy, but there have been a lot of successful coaches that fell in the same category.

It's the preseason and it's too soon to make judgments on Sing's coaching style. Motivating players may not be enough but until you do none of that other stuff much matters.

Do you have examples of very successful coaches who don't know x's and o's? I'm not challenging you, I'm just truly wondering.....
Originally posted by Ohio49er:
Bill Walsh is gone and he ain't coming back. George Seifer is gone and who wants him back? Steve Mariucci is gone and who needs him back. Dennis Erickson and Mike Nolan are gone and nobody needed them in the first place.

Do you have examples of very successful coaches who don't know x's and o's? I'm not challenging you, I'm just truly wondering.....

I think this is a common misconception. I think Singletary knows his X's and O's. He just doesn't have the innovation within them that Walsh did... few have in the history of the NFL.

Singletary was a middle linebacker. One of the best to have ever played. I'm pretty sure he has a pretty good understanding of the game. If his sideline advice to players doesn't seem intellectual enough, perhaps he is focusing on the fundamentals... this is preseason.

I wouldn't call Singletary's old coach, Mike Ditka a great x's and o's guy. Would you?

Chuck "the Chin" Noll was a real firestarter, but I've never heard him described as a guy who could out gameplan opposing coaches. He had great talent and knew how to get the most out of it.

This is just my opinion, but I believe it to be true.
it's tricky. It appears to be working thus far but if we have a disappointing season, he'll start losing players.
Share 49ersWebzone